Cost of Visa extension.

Hello all,

I'm new to abu dhabi and recently migrated here in 22nd July with my husband and son. I already have my resident but not yet receive my labor contract. My husband and son is currently on their visit visa that obtained during arrival at the airport.

Appreciate if someone could advice how they get a visa extension? From my reading I found there's way they can obtain the extension by exiting to Oman and enter back within the same day. Any idea how much cost that incurred for that process per person? Another way is to request for extension but the thing I'm not sure that should be done at the Immigration dept or can be done at the airport and at what cost?

Thanks in advanced.

Hi tripleA and welcome to Expat.com!

A new thread has been created on Abu Dhabi forum for better visibility.;)

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.:)

Harmonie.

You van extend an existing visit visa by applying to the immigration department.  I am not sure how much it costs but ive heard it costs 500 Dhs per person.  You need to call and ask them.

Driving to oman is another alternative.  I think the omani visa cost 200 dhs per person, however, its best to make a day trip out of it aswell.

Just a side issue.  Are you going to sponsor your family? or is your husband going to work?  I ask because its very difficult for women to sponsor husbands and children (unless things have changed since i last looked).

Hi Giasi,

I read their website and it stated that per person/visa will be 600AED and comparing to do exit and enter Oman is cheaper. Contacted one guy that doing carlift to Oman, the visa now cost 50AED.   

Yes I am planning to sponsor my husband and son. I'm waiting for my labour contract to be ready. My husband yet to fnd for job until our son able to be enrolled for a nursery. Some women manage to sponsor their husband and kid. I was hoping it's going to be less trouble or none at all for my application later.

Anyway thanks for sharing information.

tripleA wrote:

Hello all,

I'm new to abu dhabi and recently migrated here in 22nd July with my husband and son. I already have my resident but not yet receive my labor contract. My husband and son is currently on their visit visa that obtained during arrival at the airport.

Appreciate if someone could advice how they get a visa extension? From my reading I found there's way they can obtain the extension by exiting to Oman and enter back within the same day. Any idea how much cost that incurred for that process per person? Another way is to request for extension but the thing I'm not sure that should be done at the Immigration dept or can be done at the airport and at what cost?

Thanks in advanced.

Hi. You can extend your visa for another 30days. Visit the immigration office and file for visa extension.

Hi all,

Just to update my experience doing the visa run on 20th Aug 2012.

Visa on Arrival Renewal via Hili Border Going via taxi

Best is to go with the old taxi, the white and gold color because they charge you very cheap around 20DHS to 25 DHS provided they have four passenger. Journey took around 1 œ hours from the Abu Dhabi station to Al Ain. From Al Ain bus station, take a taxi to the Hili border post then head to the arrival and departure pedestrian gate which located on the left side of the vehicle entry post. Walk thru the gate and exit to the next door and inform the officer I wanted to renew my husband and son's visa.

Then he instruct me to go to next building (the immigration office) where I have to cross the road and head to the second brown color building next to Finance building. The building looks like a cabin and there's a signage on the door for passport stamp. In the immigration office, take a queue number and wait to be called. Once they called I tell them I want to exit to Oman and I pay 35DHS per person for the exit. You will be given a small green sheet and that need to be handover to the officer at the pedestrian gate.

Then grab a taxi to go to the Sohur border to do Oman enter and exit. Normally there's a taxi guy standby outside the pedestrian building at the Oman side. Ask for service to do enter and exit and the taxi driver help me to complete the process.  I paid 200DHS for the ride from the Hili border to the Oman Immigration office at Sohur and paid 50 DHS er poerson for the enter and exit visa stamp. If you are able to get more passengers, then you can pay less for the taxi fee.

Once completed all the above process at the Sohur office, I was taken back to the Hili border by the same taxi. Then head back to the Hili border UAE immigration office to get my husband and son's new free visa on arrival stamp.

tripleA wrote:

Hi all,

Just to update my experience doing the visa run on 20th Aug 2012.

Visa on Arrival Renewal via Hili Border Going via taxi

Best is to go with the old taxi, the white and gold color because they charge you very cheap around 20DHS to 25 DHS provided they have four passenger. Journey took around 1 œ hours from the Abu Dhabi station to Al Ain. From Al Ain bus station, take a taxi to the Hili border post then head to the arrival and departure pedestrian gate which located on the left side of the vehicle entry post. Walk thru the gate and exit to the next door and inform the officer I wanted to renew my husband and son's visa.

Then he instruct me to go to next building (the immigration office) where I have to cross the road and head to the second brown color building next to Finance building. The building looks like a cabin and there's a signage on the door for passport stamp. In the immigration office, take a queue number and wait to be called. Once they called I tell them I want to exit to Oman and I pay 35DHS per person for the exit. You will be given a small green sheet and that need to be handover to the officer at the pedestrian gate.

Then grab a taxi to go to the Sohur border to do Oman enter and exit. Normally there's a taxi guy standby outside the pedestrian building at the Oman side. Ask for service to do enter and exit and the taxi driver help me to complete the process.  I paid 200DHS for the ride from the Hili border to the Oman Immigration office at Sohur and paid 50 DHS er poerson for the enter and exit visa stamp. If you are able to get more passengers, then you can pay less for the taxi fee.

Once completed all the above process at the Sohur office, I was taken back to the Hili border by the same taxi. Then head back to the Hili border UAE immigration office to get my husband and son's new free visa on arrival stamp.

Good to know! I'm entering the country with a visitors visa shortly, as my wife had secured employed with a school some time ago.

Just to clarify, if I'm unable to secure employment within the 30 day visit visa timeframe, I can simply go to Oman and renew my visa for 50 DHS??

Unless something has changed recently, Canadians need visas before arrival and therefore can't do visa runs. Check with your embassy.

Sandman6 wrote:

Unless something has changed recently, Canadians need visas before arrival and therefore can't do visa runs. Check with your embassy.

Correct! My uncle has faced a similar situation during his visit to Dubai, he wasn't allowed to get the visa on arrival!

Sandman6 wrote:

We do need Visa's.. I've had mine for a few weeks now, but I wasn't sure about how it works once my Visa expires in 30 days.. at thet point, can I not just do a visa run to Oman if need be?

cwilde wrote:
Sandman6 wrote:

We do need Visa's.. I've had mine for a few weeks now, but I wasn't sure about how it works once my Visa expires in 30 days.. at thet point, can I not just do a visa run to Oman if need be?

Only the 32 nationalities who get visas on arrival can do visa runs. Think about it.

I'm not sure how it will work in this case! I thought that you're coming on residence! but I'm sure that there will be an option for extension?

are you planning to get residence visa after your arrival?

Hello Guys,

Can a visitor visa be extended for more than 60 days?

Mustapha12 wrote:

Hello Guys,

Can a visitor visa be extended for more than 60 days?

yes it can. 2 * 30 days which means 2 visa runs. Also depends on nationality.  best to check with immigration as the rules change more often than you change your underwear.