Considering Bahir Dar job

Hi,

Very curious about Bahir Dar and whether it's suitable for families.  We are a family of four with young boys (5 and 7). I will teach while there, but need info about school for kids.

Also would like to know about mosquitoes.  Are they average in this area?

Many thanks!

Bahir Dare is a beautiful small town.  It is very peaceful. I was there just for couple of days and i really enjoyed the weather and the peaceful atmosphere. 
  But i do not think you can find international stander school outside of Addis.  If u move you may have to consider home schooling.   

best wishes

Dear Prof N,

I actually taught a summer school for a few expat familirs for a week in bahir dar, and my impression is that it is good for families with young children. my nextdoor enighborus there had kids aged 2 and 5 and there were several other families nearby with kids similar ages. bahir dar is quite a quiet and green place to live, and with boat rides etc i imagine it's a place kids would love grwoing up in.

there is a sschool for expats but the expat families i taught were unhappy with it, had started a tiny one-room school and were looking to set up a proper school - i think this is happening as i speak actually. but i don't know if their opinion is just a minority view - don't really know much im afriad.

there are mosquitos, and when i was there in the rain season, there was a threat of malaria - being lake-side, im rpety sure it's higher here than in other places in ethiopia ie addis.

sophie

www.sophiemcgrath.wordpress.com

Yes bahir dar is on of the beauty city in ethiopia and well planned. but i can tell you surely there is mosquito specially at the summer time running from june to septmeber. you need mosquito net.
welcome
[email protected]