Starting a business in Addis - UK male with Ethiopian wife

I would like to start my own business in AA, as I wish to get out of the rat race here in the UK. My wife is Ethiopian and she would only go back if we had a decent standard of living and enough money coming in to send the children to a western expat style school.

Therefore, what so sort of things regards necessary g'ment paperwork would I need to look into to get things up and running. eg permits, resident visa's etc.
Have several ideas of things that are quite common here in the UK but have not seen on previous trips to AA, so a niche market may be possible.

Thanks
ubdai

Hello,

Well I'am not yet in Addis but I will be there in september.
As for you, I think if you'are married to an ethiopian citizen, you may ask for an ethiopian citizenship. I believe it will help especially if you decide to create your own business in the country.

Idriss

Hello,
As Idriss said, it would help if u could obtain an Ethiopian citiznship. Foreigners need at least a capital minimum of $ 100,000 to start business in Ethiopia, if in partnership with Ethiopian,the requirement is $ 60,000. Investors in technology and consultancy are required $ 50,000 which will be lowered to $ 25,000 if in partnership with Ethiopian.

If you are an investor or have a business to run in Ethiopia, work and residence permits are not problems. Visa can be obtained at the airport of entry or at the Ethiopian Embassy in UK which will be easily renewed while you are in Ethiopia.

Obtaining investment/business license in the business area you plan to engage is a requirement which does not take more than one week if you fulfil the requirements.

Regarding permits and license for getting started would not be a problem since you are married to an Ethiopian I am an expat from London I have started a business here in Addis three years ago there are a lots of things you can do here it really depends on how much money you will be coming with and what is your profession it might be handy.Schools in Ethiopia are getting better you can find schools even better than UK especially if they are going to a state school in UK.Let me know what you have in mind and I will try to give you as much info as I can.