Any advice on living and working in Addis would be most welcome!

Hello everyone,

I am considering getting a job in Addis Ababa and was wondering if anyone could give me some information on living and working in Addis.  More specifically, I would like to know if there is a large enough expat community and the possibility of a good social life and meeting people outside of work for people who are coming without family...

Thanks a lot..  :)  Gina

Hi Suave,

Thanks for your reply.  I hope to first get a short term assignment of about 6 months so that I can get a taste of what working and living in Addis would be like.. then maybe get a longer term assignment.  I have a couple of more questions, if you would allow me..

Looks like cost of living is quite cheap, which is good, but how is social life for expats in general?  For those without families, is it pretty easy to meet other people and are there things to do in the evenings and weekends? 

And how is internet connectivity?  Can I get decent internet connection at home?  Is it easy to get around within Africa?  Like, if you wanted to go to other countries within African, would it be fairly easy?

Thanks so much.. wish you a great weekend.  Gina

I am not sure the cost of living is cheap. It depends of course with where you compare it. If with Switzerland, than it is, but comparing to Austria and Italy its definitely more expensive. Consider that all the products you would want to eat - need to be imported either from UAE, South Africa or Europe. Supermarkets as you know them in Switzerland do not exist. I was shopping today in what is know as a supermarket - Bambie - 1 liter of orange juice - 44 Birr - 3.50 USD.

Dear Gina Lee,

Social life for expats in Ethiopia is not difficult, especially with the expat community. Most of the expatriates hangout in some specific places in Addis Ababa and joining them is not difficult. Internet connectivity in Ethiopia is one of the slowest in the world. However, wireless internet services have been launched since recently and it is getting better with the wireless services which, for personal use, on average may cost you from Birr 500 (USD 35) to Birr 1,000 (USD 71) per month.

Regarding travelling to other African Countries, there is no problem as the Ethiopian Airlines, one of the best in Africa, travels to many African countries than any other airline.