Close

Property prices in Peru

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in Peru is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in Peru?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

If you want to live in the greater Lima area, expect to pay $600 @ month for a nice 1 bedroom apartment with - SECURITY!  Expats are a target of crime in Peru; you need to feel safe in your own home.

I live 1 1/2 hours away from Miraflores; but my rent is $150 @ month with good security.  I can take the train & bus to MF very cheaply; I am retired so the time involved is not an issue.  I prefer living outside the "tourist areas"; as this is where you can experience the "real" Peruvian life.  It may not be for everyone; but for me it is rewarding & I don't spend so much of my SS check on housing. 

I could afford to live in the fancy areas; but choose not to.  I work using the internet; which you can access in 97% of Peru.

As far as purchasing a property - BE VERY CAREFUL!  I know many owners who have seen property values decrease by 20% in the last 2 years; there is definitely a "bubble" which may burst at any time.  Also, there has been a lot of over-building which has to be absorbed by the population; some owners are reluctant to cut prices, but they will be forced to in a supply/demand real estate market. 

Personally I would take a "wait & see" response to purchasing; unless the opportunity was too good to pass-up.  In this situation, you need professional/unbiased help to make an informed decision.  Don't trust a realator or friend to advise you; you could be making a VERY EXPENSIVE mistake!   As in any major purchase; do your due dilligence!

Best wishes to all; Peru is a wonderfully beautiful country!

Philip C. Brown
Retired US expat
Brown International Consultants

Expatriate health insurance in Peru

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Peru

Moving to Peru

Find tips from professionals about moving to Peru

Travel insurance in Peru

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Peru

Flights to Peru

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Peru