So how many of the ex pats are now fluent in Maltese . . .

I realise that everyone speaks English over there which is fab, makes holidaying so much easier, but I would like to be able to speak a minimal Maltese once over there (couple of weeks and counting) I was delighted with myself at the hotel back in October as I was able to ask for the room number key lol. Any stories / suggestions to say on the topic? Can you recommend a school / person to learn from? On another very random note - how do you guys cope with the heat over there! I am seriously considering a parasol once I get there! LOL

I have even had maltese people tell me not to bother learning maltese...   in fact some of them can speak it but cant read or write it..

I wouldnt bother, but of course I am a lazy american  :)

Its an incredibly hard language to learn!  I would agree with Chad....dont bother!!!  but if you have an ear for languages you may be able to pick it up. .....

I am a sun worshipper but I struggle with the heat!  I dont like to complain though after the British weather!  August tends to be both very hot and humid!  but the Spring is beautiful which you will soon experience :)

Are you serious Chad some of the Maltese cant read or write Maltese how funny! Ahh a lazy American lol how do you get on out there then with all the activites that are on offer? You must enjoy the portions then in that case (I have to say I cant believe the size of the portions lol)I have to say people are so lovely on this forum! Glad I found it

Angela - a real difficult language to speak, but a little easier to listen to and understand :), and well worth doing, as nothing beat the experience of knowing that they are talking about you in maltese and then telling them you have understood every word !!! Their faces are priceless :) Enjoy

Maby1967 fantastic! I will remember that ha ha! Yes I think I will go ahead and try to learn the language even though everyone speaks English. I doubt I will ever be mistaken for a local and the element of surprise if I can understand what is being said will be even more so (we went to Comino and one of the locals told me Ive been on this island for over 40 years and never seen anyone as white as you) LOL.

I'm taking evening courses and I'm really enjoying understanding what is going around me.

Here's the link:
eveningcourses.gov.mt/courses.asp?catid=11&CourseId=309

Lessons start in October but applications are out in Aug-Sep.

Good luck :)

ok now thats great info!  Thank you.MX

I also want to learn to speak the language. We plan on living here for a long time, so to learn the local language- even though some say there is no need- is helpful I think. You do come across some Maltese that do not know how to write or read the language which I find odd- even many young people though cannot speak very good english which is what I find even more odd! I've picked up words here and there, sometimes I can get the jist of what is being talked about- but classes would be much better to learn rather than just trying to pick it up. This fall I hope to take the course that Lucy from MX mentioned, otherwise if you check with the local council where you end up living, they tend to offer evening classes too.

:) my pleasure

Thats great thanks for the info Lucy! If it doesnt start till October Ill see if I can perhaps find one which will start sooner.

Maltese language is a mixture of arab and latin base languages so probably it won't be very helpful cause you can't use it anywhere else. I am italian and I can read a text understanding the 70% of words, cause they're similar to mine. Maybe you could take italian lessons so you will always have a chance to speak it, no matter which Country you are in. :-))))
Italians are everywhere, (I guess you are thinking "unfortunately") :-D

good luck with your maltese anw!!!

i know a married couple and she and her friends are always berating him,about the fact that he doesnt speak maltese,even after eleven years of living there.she speaks perfect english,but with a geordie accent,because he"s from newcastle.perhaps its about respect.:)