Public gathering places for expats in Riyadh

Hi everyone..
any suggestions for public coffee shops or restaurants located in Riyadh where my friends and I could gather in peace without mottawe being all around the place??

I would say the safest place is compounds only

There are frequently organized balling activities in ritz carlton.I remember that I attended them  :)

i been to centria mall , its a small mall but you dont need to worry of anyone there
even the coffee shops at tahlia street should be ok

Natalia282 wrote:

Hi everyone..
any suggestions for public coffee shops or restaurants located in Riyadh where my friends and I could gather in peace without mottawe being all around the place??

If by friends you mean just female friends then shouldn't be an issue anywhere.

if mixed then may god be with you....one of the reasons I dislike Riyadh.

Loooool ur comment really made my day :)

Totally Agree..

hamudi wrote:
Natalia282 wrote:

Hi everyone..

You know nothing ........john hamuds.............Riyadh is a happening place.  :P;)

1. You are safe in compound that you live in arrange your own get togethers.
2. if you are hiring a taxi , NEVER NEVER NEVER take a taxi driven by a saudi ,
    instead an Indian or Pakistani drivers are the trust worthy lot, a smart woman would     
   take same  taxi used by her collegues so that the driver is personally known to them /           her  ,and his mobile number is on the phone contacts of all of them .
3. If you are in agroup , and i strongly advise to be in one , do not move around alone ,    you have alot of unseen watchful criminal/evil  eyes following you where ever you go . In a group you can go any where . coffee dock , shopping mall , etc.
4 . ring the taxi man  before hand so that he comes and picks you up and drops you at your door . he never drives off unless you have opened the main door and you have stepped in the house , tell him  that he has to wait for you to go in then he can drive off   
5. do not walk outside your house / alone

Motawaee are the best of the lot, very nice an smiling all the time , i always had  a very good encounter with them infact one was my neighbor and a very nice guy , he would take good care of me  as Islam  orders . the golden rule is never annoy them , listen to them  and say to them yes i will , you will be happy , if you ask for there help they will genuinly try to help you

kunsha wrote:

1. You are safe in compound that you live in arrange your own get togethers.
2. if you are hiring a taxi , NEVER NEVER NEVER take a taxi driven by a saudi ,
    instead an Indian or Pakistani drivers are the trust worthy lot, a smart woman would     
   take same  taxi used by her collegues so that the driver is personally known to them /           her  ,and his mobile number is on the phone contacts of all of them .
3. If you are in agroup , and i strongly advise to be in one , do not move around alone ,    you have alot of unseen watchful criminal/evil  eyes following you where ever you go . In a group you can go any where . coffee dock , shopping mall , etc.
4 . ring the taxi man  before hand so that he comes and picks you up and drops you at your door . he never drives off unless you have opened the main door and you have stepped in the house , tell him  that he has to wait for you to go in then he can drive off   
5. do not walk outside your house / alone

My.....My arent we the paranoid ones !!!  :huh:

HRGuru wrote:
hamudi wrote:
Natalia282 wrote:

Hi everyone..

You know nothing ........john hamuds.............Riyadh is a happening place.  :P;)

i've given my fair share of time to Rio...:D

Hr Guru ,

I wish paranoia was the driving force for my write.
What ever I wrote , was  experience , nothing  doctored .
I had to edit my post a few times in the first instance , after  realising note would be public and will cause  alarm .

Hi Natalia,
DQ Area Coffee shops & Restaurants are good choice
Regards

you can go to any camp
no one will be there
you can take off your (abaia)
you have many options

saeedalhomsi wrote:

you can go to any camp
no one will be there
you can take off your (abaia)
you have many options

Which camps are you talking about?

Expat newly relocated to Saudi. It's like a disaster here to even think of doing anything on a free day coz of the restrictions. Would love if someone could suggest some nice places where we could like for sometime relax without having to worry about the muthawas behind my ***...

madarem exit 8
al wahaa dammam road
venesia makah road

[Post under review]