Adapting to the climate in Egypt

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Egypt is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Egypt?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Egypt?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Thnx so much for reminding all of us here

Hello eagle Abo,

Do you have any info, advises you would like to share concerning theses questions?

:)
Christine
Expat.com

The Egyptian summer is hot and dry in most of the country, and humid in the mapDelta and along the Mediterranean Coast. In recent years the humidity has spread to Cairo, and the city swelters in August! Winter is mild with some rain, but usually it is bright, sunny days with cold nights.

During the summertime, sun protection is the most important single consideration for an Egypt trip, especially for the fair-skinned. Wearing a sunhat is essential. Cheap, and pure cotton, sunhats are made locally and available everywhere. Travel clothing should be light and comfortable, 100% cotton clothing is the best and robust shoes are a must! The climate of Egypt is characterized by a hot season from May to October and a cool season from October to May. Extreme temperatures during both seasons are moderated by the prevailing northern
And of course this kind of weather can effects the people behaviours and make them a little angry and have no ability to talk much or go very long argument😀😀

First, you need to drink lots water to avoid dehydration.
Secondly,  use sun block to protect skin.
Better to put on cotton clothes - skin breath.
After 3-4 days could be stomach problems. Use streptoqueen or antinal
Enjoy Egypt

I love the weather especially in the Winter, and I don't mind the heat of the Summer either. What I find worse of all is when the Summer comes the Electric supplies are so bad when it's time to cool down you cannot do so because the AC units do not work. Now it is 42c outside and 49c in the villa. The AC unit in the lounge is on but the electric is so low there is only warm air coming from it. It's the same year after year. If the problems of electricity can be sorted the place would be lovely.

Sorry 49c outside and 42c inside

Liquids and sun block are truly essential in summer. Winter can be very cold indoors. For me, that was the hardest. I've become used to the heat and now I freeze when the temperature drops below 25!

The weather here is not too different than where I'm from in the US...what's different is the construction!  Back home we had central heating and air so the weather didn't matter if you stay inside.  Here, the apts. typically don't have the best AC or heat, or insulation and I feel a lot more exposed to the elements because of it.  I think it's helpful to invest in some comfort items like good fans, or AC for the summer, and heating in winter.  Oh, and nice short-sets for the house when it's hot and fuzzy pajamas and socks, maybe even those gloves with the fingertips cut out--for when it's cold!

The summer is too hot and the winter is too cold. During the summer, dust is awful. You will feel it if you are allergic to dust. Use the mask when it s necessary. Humidity is not felt as in a coast city but this is a polution consequence due to the traffic. Still you have a wonderful social life in Cairo. You will feel home if you can draw your proper routine with a proper hygiene and life style 😊

Yes I agree with you Adou_h that weather is hot and dusty but not that much and I think no need for wearing a mask and the Humidity cam to the maximum only on July and August but this country still the most kind and warmly country ever Egypt is not just a land we live at, Egypt is a it a big love inside our hearts ☺

I agree with your comments about Egypt being great and the climate is great whe you get used to it, however it is fast becoming a place that is hostile to Europeans, why I do not know, but many are leaving and many are making preparations to leave, especially in Upper Egypt, where the visa situation is becoming intollerable, they are being treated like spies and criminals, when of course non of them are, they just want to get on with their lives and live in peace. There can be no reason why some people are getting 6 month visa's, some are even getting 3 month visa's and the odd few get 12 month visa's. The inconsistancy and the lack of not giving information out is creating mixed feelings and unease.

Off course you more than welcome you and any one respect the law and respect the privacy of this country and as u know national security for any country is numbers 1 and you came from England and u know this very well and many form Europe and USA here in this country coz they know that weather,safty, privacy and the warm from the ppl here is more than anywhere else and if you live here on Egypt without any political activities or interfere the government view you will be more than okay and no one can stop you or interfere your life but what happened last years during the revolution and after there where many of the expat who left there countries coz they was suffering from somethings they start interfere the Egyptian's life and share some bad ppl many crimes against the country so that the country start to defend herself by many action taken but am not saying all expat did this I know there are may respectable ppl here as any country in the world and am not saying that to defend about the government actions but all what I said is its not you or me  its ( national security)  and again there is no freedoms if this freedoms will effects the national security (David Cameron)

I agree with everything you say, but when people go to live in another Country surely they are security checked first, and not in some people's cases 5 years later. There are some lovely Europeans getting asked to leave, Europeans that have helped the poverty stricken people. Myself I have no interest in politics, and no interest in criminal activities, many Europeans cannot be bothered with either, but they still get treated like something the dog brought in, and that is disgusting. I don't think any European is used to being treated this way, and that is why they are leaving, the problem is when they leave they tell the stories of what is happening, and that holds .Egypt back. For myself and wife we love the place and we love the people, but oppression is gradually creeping back, and that is not for us and we do not think its for the people of Egypt.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedbacks on this thread  :)

@ Eagle bo and Chocolate Eclair, i suggest we get back to the topic, which is on the weather please.

Sorry about that,
Bhavna

Very hot wave start from Friday and finish by Sunday (weather report )