Close

Health insurance - pre-existing conditions

Hi everyone!

My husband and I just had our visas approved and will be moving to Spain on Sept. 17.  We currently have travel insurance to satisfy our visa requirements, but we would like to find more comprehensive coverage.  Can anyone recommend insurance companies that will cover someone with pre-existing conditions?  We've already applied to Sanitas and Caser and were turned down by both.  Also, if we cannot find coverage, does anyone know how much it costs for doctor visits and prescriptions if you don't have health insurance?

Thanks!

Shawn

Another option would be to exclude preexisting conditions from your policy.
No company will take you on if they know they'll have to pay out immediately, that or the premiums will kill you.

Wouldn't not mentioning potential pre-existing conditions be considered having provided incomplete information (misrepresentation, at best or lying by omission at worst) invalidate the contract if the issues were to come to light after?

Michele

Mczwz :

Wouldn't not mentioning potential pre-existing conditions be considered having provided incomplete information (misrepresentation, at best or lying by omission at worst) invalidate the contract if the issues were to come to light after?

Michele

It would be a fraud, so can't be done.
I'm not suggesting that, I'm suggesting excluding them from the policy.

Many companies will accept medical insurance policies to cover everything else, but exclude preexisting or related conditions from that cover.

Try a few.

Oh, I am well aware of how pre-existing conditions work, having been injured at 25 years of age, resulting in a handicap . . .!

I have had no difficulty, thank the Good Lord I have never been denied coverage on a job, only reduced coverage for the first 1-2 years (depending on the policy) for issues directly related to those pre-existing conditions.

Expensive, hard to cover, but there may be other options, I believe.

Michele

Can't think of any. I get free health care via Valencia and via the uk gov.  I have 3 prolapsed discs.   There would be no way an insurance co would cover me but Valencia health care would.

My partner has had to take out private health insurance and as a policeman was injured in the miners strike. There would be no way an insurance co would cover him for anything to do with his injuries.  In spain grand parents usually pay health and dental care for their grandchildren.

Once this brexit comes into action what will happen to expats?  Rahoy isn't bothered about expats but don't think we are talking to a uk resident. Maybe an American if you have had to get a visa.

To me these are troubling times both in spain the USA and uk.

Expatriate health insurance in Spain

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Spain

Moving to Spain

Find tips from professionals about moving to Spain

Travel insurance in Spain

Enjoy stress-free travel to Spain

Flights to Spain

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Spain