Still worried about possible uk exit from eu

We are planning to come to Malta in October  but I am still worried that we may leave it to late if the uk exits the eu. I don't want to give up everything at home to find we can't stay in Malta under terms currently existing for eu citizens. I see loads of uk people are still going and planning to move to Malta. They don't seem to be concerned 😀

Nothing has changed since you asked this question in April!

There is still very little chance of anything changing that soon after any decision in the referendum.

Ray

Hi Julie2016,

And how can we help you please?  :unsure

Priscilla

I may have said this before. I reckon you should stop worrying and start packing ;<}  , We plan to go early next year. If the UK exits, and that's  "if",  then it will probably take years to sort out.

Thanks for your response ... Appreciated

In case of a Brexit your life in UK will also become worse ... so at least you'll have better weather here  :lol:

No I am just concerned that Malta will not let us live in their island under the same terms as eu citizens if uk exits. We live in the Channel Islands and have a lovely life but not the weather, we will give up a good life here but would enjoy a better life in Malta . I don't want to move to Malta and find that in two years time we are forced to leave. We can afford to live in Malta self sufficient and not work but not as non eu citizen and pay €15000 tax.  Just hoping that if uk exits we can still take up residency in Malta.

Hi Julie

Unfortunately you're asking a question that is impossible to answer.

All you can do is weigh up probabilities. Malta used to be part of the commonwealth; there has been long standing relationship relating to taxation and residency since Malta's independence; Maltese and Cypriot citizens living in the UK are the only EU folk who have an opportunity to vote in the forthcoming referendum.

Given all of the above the risk would appear minimal that you would get evicted, or that residency based on legally seeking employment or self sufficiency would get revoked.

It's a risk - yes. But so is breathing the air in London, crossing the road in Italy and trying to find healthy food in Las Vegas.

Stop worrying, live your life and get packing. We're still planning a move and I see nothing substantially changing whether the UK exits the union or not. Even if the UK leaves, free movement of people may well be a requirement of any trade agreement anyway.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps to reconcile your thoughts.

Thank you for your very helpful response. I appreciate you taking the time to email me.

😍😍

Julie2016 wrote:

No I am just concerned that Malta will not let us live in their island under the same terms as eu citizens if uk exits. We live in the Channel Islands and have a lovely life but not the weather, we will give up a good life here but would enjoy a better life in Malta . I don't want to move to Malta and find that in two years time we are forced to leave. We can afford to live in Malta self sufficient and not work but not as non eu citizen and pay €15000 tax.  Just hoping that if uk exits we can still take up residency in Malta.

Julie2016.
You already live on an island that is not part of the EU , so moving to Malta should the UK vote out will make little difference to you!

Terry

Thanks for your reply. My husband is from the uk so we will move to Malta with his eu passport not mine.

My biggest worry is the exchange rate  GBP - EUR   :<(

RayAucote wrote:

My biggest worry is the exchange rate  GBP - EUR   :<(

The exchange rate has fallen because of the uncertainty of the UK future and will no doubt improve once the decision has been reached. Which ever way the vote goes it will probably improve quicker if the vote is to stay in as there would be less of an unknown.

It is still higher than when we first moved here when it was €1.18.

Ray

We did well last year, 1.4265 was the best, worst, 1.30
Ray

Malta didnt "used"to belong to the commonwealth it still does...therefore there are lots of things that still apply and will continue to do so....my only fear is if the exchange rate drops dramatically then it will affect us

Yes it is still part of the Commonwealth, apologies for writing in that context. My point was more aimed around the fact the the commonwealth these days confers no trade priveleges, it has no influence on defence or economic policy, no executive authority and no sensible budget to play a global role. Look at how the EU has affected trade from NZ to the UK as an example. In terms of the op's question commonwealth membership will likely have no bearing on future trade and freedom of movement relationships with Malta, as long as Malta remains an EU member state.

matm911

07 May 2016 11:38:33

In case of a Brexit your life in UK will also become worse ... so at least you'll have better weather here 

Thats interesting .....why do you think that matm911

My concern is that they won't allow uk citizens to be residents in Malta under same terms as EU and EEA . If uk exits

Even if the vote in June was for an exit, the UK would still be a member of the EU in October when you are planning to come, so no problem.

It would probably take years rather than months to separate.

I would suggest you start packing instead of asking the question over and over again.

Ray

Thanks...  We are making our arrangements and have started packing!!!!!

The Maltese are only interested in the money. If you are self sufficient and  / or paying tax then they are very unlikely to refuse residency should the UK not be in the EU when you arrive.

They rely on tourism and expats to keep the economy going.

Terry

Thanks so much for the reassurance with your reply and for taking the trouble to respond.

:

Interesting article today that shows how people just do not know the outcome for us

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 … referendum

This gives a view from the commonwealth countries perspective.

http://www.ukip.org/britain_can_trade_a … ost_brexit

Terry

matm911 wrote:

In case of a Brexit your life in UK will also become worse ... so at least you'll have better weather here  :lol:

What makes you think that ??

At this point, you shouldn't give yourself stress by worrying.

If the UK leaves the EU, it will take time for it to officially happen (assuming Parliament doesn't find a way to veto the exit), and then the UK will work out trade & movement treaties with EU countries that may result in little to no change to UKers' ability to live and work throughout Europe.

Regardless of the outcome, though, unless you have the means and opportunity to move in the next three weeks, worrying won't help - if you can't move until after June, you can't move until after June, and you'll just have to take the world as it comes. No sense in stressing yourself over something you cannot change or control!

Fingers crossed for you...

Hi you don't need to worry I lived in Malta for 30 years before Malta was a member of the EU and Malta as a Commonwealth country has always had special relations with the UK so everything should stay the same even if UK leaves

Because I am retired and living in  Malta and have chosen to have my State Pension paid into my U.K. Bank. Will my State Pension be effected if we leave the E.U. i.e. will I still get my rise at the beginning of April every year.
                                                                               Terry

The agreement was in force before the UK joined the EU, I see no reason why it would change if the UK  voted to leave.

Just received and returned my postal vote for the referendum so I'm definitely an " out " vote.   :D

Terry

tearnet wrote:

This gives a view from the commonwealth countries perspective.

http://www.ukip.org/britain_can_trade_a … ost_brexit

Terry

I've been looking at all the trade scare stories, and I don't believe a word of it.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/24/obama-uk … rexit.html

Obama is telling the UK a trade deal could take ten years, but I believe that to be total rubbish as neither country's exporters will want to throw away $ billions in mutual trade.
Any president that took ten years to sort that out would get some serious stick.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c4120.html

Not expressing a view either way on any possible exit, just pointing out the trade stories are very probably total crap.

Re: '.....so everything should stay the same even if UK leaves'

Reply: Not necessarily so........at all.

I don't think anything will stay the same if the UK votes out but there will be more opportunities outside the EU.

Most countries within the EU are currently in financial trouble due to the Euro and the "one currency fits all " dogma.

The UK traded with the world before the EU and the market outside the EU is massive and expanding, unlike trade within the EU.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

Most countries within the EU are currently in financial trouble due to the Euro and the "one currency fits all " dogma.

I'm trying to be careful not to get political here, but that post deserves an answer based on economics (or at least my weak understanding of it).
For a pair or group of currencies to be merged, it strikes me those currencies must be of similar value, say the Italian and German currencies.

Hang on, they were wildly different, so how does that work without fiddling the books?

Terry4646 wrote:

Because I am retired and living in  Malta and have chosen to have my State Pension paid into my U.K. Bank. Will my State Pension be effected if we leave the E.U. i.e. will I still get my rise at the beginning of April every year.
                                                                               Terry

There is nothing on the UK government website to cover what might happen to pension increases if the UK pull out of the EU, only if you go to a non EU country which does not have a social security agreement, the increase is very small and would not be significant at the moment.

More worrying is the exchange rate which has dropped by around 10% in recent months since the uncertainty and forecasts put it back up to €1.40 if UK stays in but down to €1.10 if the vote is out!

That is knocking 20% off the value of your pension and capital in Euro terms!

Ray

Should the UK leave the EU then the value of the Euro will also fall probably by more than the pound.

Most countries in the Euro are already in financial difficulties.

The pound has always fluctuated against the Euro as do lots of currencies.

Terry

Cast our vote today, and will admit we voted in, although had we had intended to stay in UK we would have voted out. very selfish.  :D

Ray

Malta has a bilateral social security agreement which predates the eu. This guarantees that you will receive your pension as if you were in the UK and receive increases every year.

svale wrote:

Malta has a bilateral social security agreement which predates the eu. This guarantees that you will receive your pension as if you were in the UK and receive increases every year.

This has absolutely nothing to do with any agreement!

Your UK state pension is paid direct to your chosen bank wherever it is and has nothing whatsoever to do with Malta!

If it is paid into your UK bank it is direct from the DWP, if it is to a foreign bank it is paid via Citibank  ( unless the DWP have changed bank recently) direct into your account. It does not involve Malta in any way whatsoever!

It does not matter whether you live in Malta or Timbuktoo!

Ray

True but I  was  pointing out that if you received your pension directly as a Malta resident in a Malta bank, you would still get pension increases regardless of brexit. Other eu countries may be affected if we are not part of the single market.

svale wrote:

True but I  was  pointing out that if you received your pension directly as a Malta resident in a Malta bank, you would still get pension increases regardless of brexit. Other eu countries may be affected if we are not part of the single market.

It does not matter what bank your money is paid to, or whether you are a resident of Malta, Cyprus or elsewhere in the Community the UK government chooses to pay the increase to all expats living in the European Economic Community + Switzerland and any country that has a social security agreement with the UK.
Read this link!   https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you … te-pension

If they decide to stop paying that increase it is purely because the UK government of the day decides to change the law and save some money. If they don't change the law then you will still get your increase!
It is nothing to do with whether the UK is in the EU!

Ray