Dealing with emergency situations in Malta

Hello everybody,

Dealing with unexpected situations abroad can be a very difficult matter. In order to better help expats and soon-to-be expats in Malta face such tricky situations, we invite you to share your advice and experience.

What are the key emergency numbers you should know by heart?

In the event of a legal problem, an accident, a natural disaster, an injury or the death of a close family member, what are the first things to do in Malta?

What are the things to plan ahead in order to better cope with such unexpected situations (registration at the Embassy, transport, medical, comprehensive insurance for instance)?

If you have gone through such experiences in Malta, do not hesitate to share your story.

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

112 ... the one and only number here for all emergency situations
Other numbers can be found HERE (the 4 years I'm here I've never used anything else than 112)

If you need official information - ask the respective official bodies since procedures change frequently: Local Authorities, Embassies, Airlines/Airport, Hospitals/Doctors, Insurances, Civil Protection etc.
If you need to know something personal - ask the people around you
If you need any help - ask the people around you

Everything you plan ahead might end up in frustration, so better live for the moment

Only making your own experience helps to be prepared for unexpected situations. Note, that experience mady by others can be helpful, but also misleading.

If you can help it go to a private hospital in emergencies....

I once brought in a woman unconscious and vomiting into Matr Dei, I had to find a gurney to get her onto as they would not remove her from my car, then wouldn't bother looking at her without  her documentation even though we made it clear she is an EU citizen and a legal resident...