Tips and advice to thrive in Uganda

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Uganda?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Uganda?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Key is believing in pity , mercy and kindness..
Be kind towards local people.

You need to relax about adhering to North American timetables;  i.e,  starting meetings on time, etc.   It is a different pace of life there and the lack of adherence to timetables would drive you crazy if you let it.

Hi all, I've been living in Uganda for seven years and have kept a blog right from the start. You might enjoy reading some of my experiences on Diary of a Muzungu | Uganda travel blog

I fell in love with Uganda right away and now promote tourism in the country.

Of course, there are many things about Uganda that can be difficult: from the bad traffic, terrible driving, to bureaucracy and time it can take to get things done.

It's very important to have expat friends, you can just unwind with without having to explain yourself. It's also very important to have Ugandan friends. They will help you no end, in adjusting to the culture and approaching it with humour!

Holidays are important too. Go away for the weekend, go away for longer breaks when you can. Maintain perspective.

Expat life in Uganda is great. Sunshine nearly every day of the year, very welcoming people and a good range of places that sell cappuccino!