Paying bills in Uganda

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in Uganda?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in Uganda? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Paying bills in Uganda is done with mobile money, through your phone or going to a specific bank. If not payed your supplier takes you of water or else in a few days, without any form of communication. Elektricity at my place Works on prepaid money. Recently i get a text message to warn me upfront. Otherwise power just goes of. We have rental, water, electricity and garbage bills. The garbage is not done by most people.  They just burn their rubbish. We pay that bill cash at the guy. I am not sure what happens to my garbage, but they will probably burn that also. But at least not in my compound.
Furthermore i pay sort of tax for my car, payed at a service station.

I pay rent, power, water, trash with shillings myself, I'm American so I don't trust anyone to do it for me.

What I didn't know, was being maticous about my credit rating and paying off all bills before I came was pointless. I'm still looking for a bank to finance a car loan although my monthly retirements are higher that 95% of the populations income.

everything can be paid using you phone as long as you have mobile money services. electricity and water bill is paid according to the usage, it can be monthly or weekly. TV subscription is paid every month..