Essentials to live in Latvia

Hi,

As an expat living in Latvia, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Latvia? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Latvia.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

i brought all white good with me as England has better choice and far cheaper ovens and food mixers. Micro waves cost 18 to 45 pounds in UK HERE pay around 120 euro for unknown make. Russian  most likely. Furniture and carpets cheaper in Riga. Antiques if you have any bring with you as Latvia was robbed of everything in Russian overrule.  Cars new are far cheaper here and fuel too is a bit cheaper. Garden statues and metal arches do not exist here. Garden plants very cheap to replace at market prices so low its god to be a gardener here. The winter is very hard summers so good it is worth the wait. Clothing is not that good here and besides casual no order remains. I mean i brought my whole household over and things i have are of value to me so it is your choice really. What it cost to ship covered what I would have had to spend to replace and time messing about. It is horses for course  but the only thing I should have sold in UK which is proving a problem now is my English car. All Europe have said yes to expat who want to use UK cars on their roads .Latvia absolutely NO. So cannot sell it here and cannot use it as deposit for new car. It sits unused waiting for Godo.

As an expat living overseas, find out as much as possible about your location before you come. As a pastor of a Latvian/English language church in Riga, people can not locate us. If you check with your national belief group before arriving, they may be able to point you in the right direction. The expat web sites do not have any place to provide this community information. Just my suggestion to help a little.

Terence and Jill

Perhaps just visit first. Times are uncertain as refugee crisis as hardly arrived but all next door nations seem overcrowded with threats. Today the Russian army have arrived yet again for training on the Latvian borders just to upset the EU. Nato could not arrive in time to stop an invasion and once in it would be a World war yet again too. If you are to find a job it will not be here as most youth have gone to USA or UK most are unemployed. This place is really live in the city of Riga to find job before arriving. Have a place to hang the hat before you can register.  have enough hard cash to be able to talk rents down or be able to buy a house. For that the least is around 40k the tops 600000 euro. Many can be taken to restore and cheap but be ware that building materials are much the same as UK prices. Most have to be shipped in. No charity is here unless you area refugee and then all of us suffer with costs. Hard talk indeed but you must agree it is sense.