Adapting to the climate in Latvia

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Latvia is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Latvia?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Latvia?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Hello Pricilla. Great summers to enjoy becomes quite hot at times. Little rain in May to October and reaches 109 F often. The down side is the winters are long and if snow it is deep and lasting.If not it can freeze 38 cel below. The good thing for me who hates the cold is that we can stay in with log fires and a well insulated house. That is the secret here. It also means I may save up during the heavy winters and my pensions come handy when spring comes. I bought a car last spring outright. This spring a new conservatory on the front of house. It is fairly cheap here so we have to stock pile logs and food ready for winter. Others find winter sports but not us. It is hard keeping warm when first living here as the summer cons one into thinking the winter mild. Then bang bear skin hats and insulated fur wraps and gloves and socks and trouser and overcoats. No sucking mintoes here to keep warm it is a hard Siberian prospect to witness a winter here. Once one is set up it isnt that bad.

Hello  :)

I am an avid lover of the cold and the weather here has been very hot, for me. I went through an entire slew of viruses while i adapt to this climate, but overall the weather is enjoyable; especially in the evenings.

Hello, In Latvia, there is a corner and for fans of beach holidays - they have a direct road to sunny Jurmala, where for tens of kilometers along the Gulf of Riga stretched the picturesque coast of golden sands. This city is filled with natural beauty, there are dense and fragrant pine forests, there are medicinal mineral springs, the air is saturated with the smells of the sea and pines.

Latvia has a temperate marine climate with mild summers, mild winters and often high humidity and precipitation.

Hot summers with mosquito attacks for about 3 weeks in late Spring.Cow flies all summer and only rAIN stops the problems. In July most settles down so July August and September is summer. Heat can be up to 100f daily. Once last week 120f for four hours from 10am. In winter in reveres can be 34 cel below. I lost all garden plants in frozen ice first year here after such hard work building house and land fully insulate lambs wool in walls and ceilings one needs a big fire to warm you at night. Here built a system that we can cook on, heats water and also heats hollow brick walls built in rooms so smoke from fire passes hat air all through house.Comes out ta chimney as only vapor. One cares not how cold now as plants are covered in gardens and we inside as warm as toast of 8 cubes of seasoned logs per winter every room is warm inside. It is a matter only of dealing with problems to exist in the manner set by your own high standards.