Englishman Moving to Latvia

I am moving to Latvia , liepaja possibly next year with my girlfriend.

I am currently a Health club assistant manager with gym instructor qualification and also will have  a personal training qualification among others including leisure management etc

I am looking for help learning the language and job hunting, whilst also need to know the rules/ laws with relocation ( work permits) ( residence permits etc

If anyone could help i would appreciate it and be very grateful

Thank you for your time

Ben  :)

If you are a UK citizen, you have no requirement for work or residency permits. You will need to live in LV for 6 months before qualifying for a residency permit (given the Brexit situation, I would suggest getting one as it will remove any argument later on).

Be aware that most companies will expect you to speak Latvian, and some will expect Russian as well. Salaries are very low compared with the UK, average wage is about 880euro per month. There are not as many gyms or fitness clubs as are dotted in the UK but there are a lot of 'leisure service' companies. is your best bet for trying to find work, or for ad hoc work.

Learning the language is more complex, if your girlfriend speaks Latvian, get her to give you the basics then find a company like BalticBright or similar because you MAY qualify for returning emigree family support and get free courses.

Word of warning, from my experience in Riga, if you start to speak Latvian badly, the Latvians will switch to English to save you embarrassment, making practicing more difficult.

Good luck and remember that if you come over in winter, wrap up warm

Thank you for the advice and information, i am very grateful..

I am going liepaja at christmas for a week to see girlfriends family and see some of latvia

Bring a jacket and longjohns, it will be cold and windy especially windy around Liepaja.

Good Luck

Questions and answers about Latvia

Ask your question
Are you happy in Latvia?
By Priscilla
gehan manula
studying and working in latvia
By gehan manula
Dealing with homesickness in Latvia
By Priscilla

Expatriate health insurance in Latvia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Latvia