High School Hunt

Hi,
We are considering moving to Mauritius in the next couple of months. I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with. First of course, I will be looking for an English speaking high school. My son is 16. And I have been told the Northern part of the island is the better part..(not to start a debate, just been told this) so can I get some suggestions on places to live, whether it be the North, South East or west. Thank you all for your kind help
:)

Hi Jem,

The northern part is indeed good and that reflects on the property prices.  State high schools are quite good and free. The best Private HS is called le bocage and fees for foreign nationals vary from £600-£700 per month.

Kevin

Hello jemB30 :)

The north has indeed a lot more to offer for expats! Concerning high school, you may want to check out Northfields International High school :

http://www.northfieldsonline.com/

There is also Le Bocage International school at Moka as suggested by Kevin above :

http://www.lebocage.net/

Wish you all the best in your expatriation project. :top:

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

I agree with both posts above. Best option for 16yr old is those 2 schools.

Le Bocage is considered the best school, and has IB. I don't know if Northfields has IB but I heard some good things about that school. Northfields are very good at sports.

Tamarin in the west is nice to live also, but there is no high school for your child. The only high school in the area (westcoast int. Secondary school) has Form 1 and 2 only at the moment.

Good luck!

Hi All

We have a similar situation to Jen. We will be moving to Mauritius at the end of February (I accepted a new job last December). I will be working in Moka, but we would like to live near Tamarin or Flic en Flac (where our extended family lives). My Son is 13, so we were quite interested in WISS as an option.

However, we haven't been able to make contact with anyone at the school since we started trying. We assume it is because of the festive season break, but we are getting nervous about not having a school set up for him as this would also dictate where we end up living?

Does anyone have any advice as to who we should speak to or make contact with regarding enrolment at the school?

Also is the travel distance realistic or should i be trying to find a place closer to work?

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Most schools administration will be resuming on 9th January. I guess you should be hearing from the WISS soon. Le Bocage Int. Sch. and Morning Star School are in the surroundings of Moka. Good luck!

We are moving to the island in April , our kids are going to Northfields. We went to have a look and they spent some time there in November. The school is lovely and has great sports facilities.

I have colleagues who live in Black River/Tamarin whose children go to school in Moka. Journey time varies from 35-60 minutes.