Best cities to live in Ukraine

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to Ukraine. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Ukraine.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

Speaking as a retired South African with a Ukrainian wife I'm quite happy in Zaporozhzhye except for the paucity of expats. But unless you speak Russian then best forget it!

There is everything here that anyone could want and at prices that never fail to pleasantly surprise.

Let's be honest - with the immigration rules most of us are living with wives or girlfriends. Therefore the city we're most likely to choose is HER city.
I am retired & living with my wife in Poltava. I am very happy here it is a beautiful city,small,friendly and very reasonably priced.
There seems to be lots of opportunities here.
I haven't met many English people here. As to language both Ukrainian & Russian are spoken here. A little bit confusing when your trying to learn the Ukrainian, but like I said the people are friendly and helpful, and quite a few of the young people speak limited English.
All in all Poltava is a great city to live in.

I vote for Poltava!  Great restaurants and street side cafes.  Warm, friendly people.  English is fine as well. :)

Our original home was Donetsk (was a beautiful city) and now we live in Dnepropetrovsk (okay but not great).  However I have spent some time in Lviv and it is by far my favorite city in Ukraine.  Very European feel and look to it.  However it is much more Ukrainian speaking due to being in the west, even though most people can and do speak Russian.  Lots of English speakers in Lviv and expats too.

Go to Odessa. Probably the best choice. In terms of job opportunities is Kiev

Horlivka

Funny...not

As for myself I have lived in Kharkiv for over two years now.  People are right, we tend to live in the cities where our Ukrainian wives are from.  Poltava is a very nice little city for I have Expat friends that live there and we have traveled there to visit them.  Nice town and nice people.

Lviv we loved, very European and we enjoyed our stay in the city.  It is very beautiful.  Ukrainian is very useful.

Living in Kharkiv we tend to speak mostly Russian.  I do love our city very much and get around very well.  The people have been very friendly towards me and I have not had any trouble.  Plenty of restaurants and activities to do.  I do consider Kharkiv my home.  We have plenty of friends and some people do speak some English.  I found them very helpful.  But like all cities around the world, there is caution that must be exercised.  Always know where you are at and who is around you.  Understanding key words in the native language can keep you out of danger.  Always keep your eyes and ears open.  I have never had problems, but that is me.  Even though I am a world traveler, nothing was more important than getting the security brief from my wife on how to live here in Kharkiv and how to act in Ukraine.  I feel safe in the cities that I mentioned, but I keep reservations about Kiev.  Seems to be the hotbed of FSB and discontentment.

Good luck in your quest for the best city.  We all have good experiences that have been related to you here in the forum.

Hello all

For info, several posts considered as commercial and off topic have been removed from this thread.

Thanks to those who have reported this issue. :top:

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Hello Jim,

I am an American with a girlfriend who lives in Poltava. I am thing about maybe spending a few months a year with her in Poltava. I dont like winter. I live in California. I would like to correspond with you and meet you when I am in Poltava the mext time. How old are you? Do you live in Poltava all year? Do you rent an apartment?  I am reyired. Do you work?

My direct email address is tmoorephd@ gmail.com. Please write to me at that email address.

Regards,

Terrence Moore

Hi,

I have s girlfriend who lives in Poltava. I would like to correspond with you and meet you the next time I visit Poltava. Please write to me at [email protected]

Regards,

Terrence Moore

Hello Sempei.rei!
My girlfriend also lives in Poltava.  My name is Alan.  I presently live in Wisconsin, USA.  I was just there visiting with her in January.  We have known each other for 3 years now.  You are right about Poltava being a nice city.  I am interested in meeting you the next time I come to Poltava.  It would be good to share thoughts and experiences with each other.  Would you be interested?  Thank you.

Hello!
I am very curious about your statements as to being cautious.  Knowing who is around you.  Your girlfriend instructing you on things to know.  My girlfriend lives in Poltava.  We have known each other for 3 years now, but I live in the US and have been to Ukraine only 4 times.  Just staying from 1 week up to 3 weeks at a time.  When the trouble started with Russia my girlfriend also was very afraid and would not speak with me about anything political by phone or over the internet.  She worried about who might be eavesdropping.  Can you tell me just what you meant by what you said please?  Is there really a fear among your girlfriends family, friends and neighbors about saying anything in public that might be controversial?  Thank you.  My name is Alan.

Hello,

I read your post to Semper Rei.  My girlfriend also lives in Poltava.  I would like to keep in touch.  Maybe we can meet the next time we are in Poltava.  I live in California.  I have not set a date to go to Poltava.  Have you?  You can contact me directly **

Terrence

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Share contact infos only in private please.

Ukraine is the second largest country in Europe it was the fruit and vegetable basket for Russia for a long time.  Women here are very attractive, smart and sober by nature. They can beat the world if they can speak in English but very few of them can speak in english. I believe a day will come when the women of Ukraine will dominate the entire world !! 
The country is also very good for tourism !! many beautiful places are there to see. 
If any one wanted to visit or to stay there I can arrange for them to contact direct with the Ukrainian People.
John

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

For those of you visiting Poltava, do not fear the Russians.  All is calm and the fighting is still to the South East.  Daily Artillery exchanges that last for hours.  So do not be afraid, go enjoy your trip and enjoy the city.  I have a friend who lives there and I have been there several times so travel with peace in your heart and enjoy yourself.

I also live in Dnepropetrovsk.