Best cities to live in Kenya

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to Kenya. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Kenya.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

Personality I love Kisumu. It has one of those ladeback atmospheres only lake towns have. The Victoria lake is literally just at the end of the main city street. The city seems more relaxed and organized than many other cities in Kenya plus the fresh fish street food is amazing. Expect more use of the Luo language compare to Kiswahili. Most people do speak English or Kiswahili.

If your looking for a fun expat/volunteer community.. Nakuru is your place. The city is a bit small and although it's a fun city.. It isn't very charming. There are plenty of markets, nice restaurants, coffee bars and local street food places. But, for example, if you want to catch a movie you have to go to Nairobi. But then again.. Nakuru has the best volunteer community and is much easier to settle in to than Nairobi.

Nakuru is the best place as compared to Nairobi..it is not congested as Nairobi

Personally I live in Kilifi with my wife and little son and we're really happy with this decision.
Is not a big city (actually is more like a village) but it has a strong expat community and also a little jewel of an international school called Kivukoni (http://www.kivukoni.co.ke/) which is also a place where to make friends.
Kilifi is a growing place full of potential, though if you're looking for fun there's not much here apart from a vibrant Eco-Lodge runned by young entrepreneurs calld Distant Relatives (https://web.facebook.com/Kilifi.Backpackers) which is already leaving its mark on the kenyan entertainment industry.
We've lived in Kisumu for 2 years and although it's a nice community (and apparently has grown a lot in the last couple of years) in my opinion is lacking the magic and simplicity of a place laid on the seashore of this beautiful country.

Kilifi is my favourite town and the Kilifi bridge. It's small and rather quiet and you can have the beach to yourself most days.. It's not vibrant but it works for people who want calm and quiet.. I visit once every year and never get enough of the locals and the ocean..

I love Nanyuki, but Nakuru and above mentioned Kilifi are also great places to live. My fav 3 :)

mombasa or nairobi choice one ***

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : do not post personal contact details here for your own security

I have lived in Nyeri many years back.   Definitely a nice little town in the foothills of Mt. Kenya with the main street running through the town.   Nyeri club is an ideal place to meet in the evenings or weekends - has a great golf course, billiards room and Outspan within a short distance.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs in Kenya section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Kwahib; your post is off topic. This being a thread about the best cities in which to live.  There is also a section for job advertisements on this site, not this forum.

Would people still see Nakuru, Naivasha or other similar areas near national parks as good areas for an Expatriate to purchase a retirement home to share with a local friend?

You should also consider access to healthcare and for me Naivasha and Nakuru don't have great facilities.  We have a home near Lake Naivasha and another in Nyeri.  Of the two Nyeri has much better facilities and is also close to a national park.

Ah yes someone else mentioned that city as well.

Thanks.