Advice and info on moving my family to kenya

Hello everyone and happy new year.

I'm looking for advice really, my partner is from Kenya and want to move back.
We have a year old and 5month old baby, I have told him I would do my research and go from there.

I'm a white 35 year old British woman with no real qualifications, which will make it hard for me to get a job, and contribute to the family income.

I'm wondering about school frees and health care. Where to live as it's important to me for my children to mix with both white and black communities. From my research so far the internet suggests west lands and Karen, which are out of our price range. I would like my children to grow up in a friendly community, general life, will my children find it hard being mixed race. And security etc.

Thank you for your help

Hello and welcome.

We have experience of bringing up a mixed race grandchild up in Kenya, since she was about 2 years  - she is now 9  and overall it has been very positive for her.  I can't think of an instance where she has been made to feel out of place and actually (from my own viewpoint) its much less of an issue here, than it is in the UK.  She is one of a very few mixed race children at school, which has also never been an issue.

I will warn you that items such as formula milk and nappies (diapers) are pretty expensive here, compared to the UK, so this should be a real concern.  When we were buying formula milk it was about Ksh 900 for a smallish tin.  I am sure it costs considerably more now, for the 'local' Nestle Nan.   If you want imported (Cow & Gate, etc) you can double the price.

Healthcare;  There is a decent children's hospital in Muthaiga, Gertrudes - private of course.  Unfortunately for the best healthcare you will have to go private and I would also highly recommend heath insurance (check a few websites to find out prices - AAR, Jubilee, etc).  The advantage here is that you can walk into a doctors consulting room and be seen almost immediately.  Results are back very quickly.........BUT of course you have to pay.   Fees really depend upon what the problem is, but expect to pay perhaps Ksh 2000 - 4000 for a consultation (without insurance).  Kenyan doctors are fond of prescribing medication.   If either of your children have any health issues, then staying in the UK would be advisable, due to the potential costs in Kenya.

Schools:  Depends whether you want an international school and UK curriculum, or the Kenyan system.  International schools are incredibly expensive compared to Kenyan system schools.  The Kenyan education system is pretty good - we swapped our granddaughter to a Kenyan school, from a British system school just over a year ago and don't regret the decision.  You could also consider state primary schools, which are the cheapest, but many would argue that they aren't quite as good.

Areas to live;  in my experience expats and locals don't mix very much.  I don't really think that it matters too much where you live from this respect as your kids can and will mix when you go out and at school.  Where we live now, I am the only white person in the area and our granddaughter is the only mixed race child - we don't feel at all out of place (am in a mixed race relationship).  Our priority has always been to have somewhere safe and secure.

If you can't afford Westlands, then I feel that many of the better areas of Nairobi would be out of your price range.  The majority of europeans would be hesitant to live in cheaper areas, for security reasons.  Nairobi is a very expensive city.  Is it a must you live in Nairobi?  Places out of the city are significantly cheaper.

Work:  You will be easily able to reside in Kenya with a Dependents Pass (as would your children.  However, this pass assumes that your partner is working and supporting you.  You are not permitted to work with this type of pass.   One more thing.  You are only entitled to a Dependents Pass if you are married.  If you are not married then settling in Kenya becomes much more difficult. 

To work you must have a work permit.  To obtain one, you must have the offer of a job, then your prospective employer, having evidenced that the position cannot be filled by a Kenyan, applies for your work permit.

I have tried to touch on the issues you have raised.  Please ask for clarification for anything else.

Thank you. Ever so much you have been a great help.

Nairobi is not particularly somewhere where I want to live. I would like somewhere that is safe, secure and has a community feel ( I miss that about where I currently live) I also would like to be able to have animals and grow my own fruit a vegetables ( I like the idea of being more self sufficient)

Also malaria prevention would it be daily or a one of

Firstly, malaria prevention.  Due to side effects, it's probably not practical to take malaria prophylaxis on an ongoing basis - they are fine for the duration of a holiday.  We do as most Kenyans do.  We don't take anything to prevent malaria.  If the symptoms develop, then there are medications that can be taken.  So far, none of us have developed malaria and in fact the incidence of the disease is fairly low in the central province.

Regarding where to live, I agree security should be high on your list of priorities.  If you want to keep animals and grow things, an apartment wouldn't suit your needs, yet is arguably the cheapest type of housing, particularly in Nairobi and security is generally comprehensive. 

Areas outside of Nairobi, which might have the type of property you are looking for, plus a mixed community?  Nanyuki and Naivasha spring to mind.  Nanyuki has better choice of schools and arguably better healthcare.  Lots of Brits there, due to there being a sizeable British army base there

Hi. I'm also married to a Kenyan man. I have two children 6 & 4. I met my husband in Mombasa in 2007 and would love to return more so than my husband. Did you go back? Are you happy there?

Hello, I don't know whether your question was directed at me?

I am married to a Kikuyu lady.  We met and married in the UK about 20 years ago.  She has never liked the UK much and wanted to move back.  We moved in 2004, but up until about 2 years ago also spent time in the UK.  Since then, we have been in Kenya continuously.  My wife has become increasingly frustrated with life in Kenya and is desperate to move on and out!  The reasons for this are:

Having lived in the west, it has been quite difficult to fit back into Kenyan society - there is quite a lot of jealousy from those who haven't been abroad.  My wife has never felt that she really and truly fits in in the way that she did before travelling to the UK.

Married to a mzungu means that we are constantly assumed to have money trees planted in the compound, so any crisis in the family and we are expected to pay out and not a single other family member will contribute a shilling and the family is large!

Traders/fundi's constantly trying to overcharge.

The Kenyan mentality of offering help/services, then switching phones off/refusing to get back to you when you need them.

Nothing running to time!

Bribes being demanded in order to get anything done...........becoming less of a problem with time.

Security and not having the freedom to, say go for a walk from your house, more or less wherever you please.

Taking your life in your hands whenever you have to drive somewhere, due to the poor driving standards and failure to regulate them.

Plastic bags, bottles and other litter wherever you go.

Every time there is an election, not quite knowing whether you should remain in the country or not!

A lack of public leisure facilities.

Kenya has a difficult business climate, caused by people often relying/refusing to pay for goods and services and officials who issue permits often wanting to be bribed.

Lastly, my wife has some minor health issues and the system is poor.  Public facilities are poor and private doctors put money before patients and as the health system is very poorly regulated and doctors are never held accountable, you never quite know whether the course of treatment is really necessary.  This can be to the point where a doctor will carry out a procedure which is wholly unnecessary and does you harm!  Treatment fees are high and doctors will often charge once for a consultation and again to analyse your test results.   You will never see a doctor without being prescribed courses of drugs, some of which are wholly unnecessary (I am a health professional).  If you have a pre existing health condition, you are likely to have difficulty getting insurance cover for this.

For me, I love the climate and the relaxed style of life.  Also the friendliness of Kenyans and the fact that society here appears more tolerant in terms of race and religion than some others.  Life can be very comfortable when you have money!   But, my permit doesn't allow me to work, so I am often bored!  I love to walk, but have to be very careful where I go and to vary the route, although there are very few routes I can take, being no public footpaths.  I don't feel as 'free' in Kenya as I do in the UK, as security has to be considered with many activities.  I also absolutely loathe driving in Kenya.  Inadequate roads for the volume of traffic, the behaviour of other road users and the proliferation of badly ridden motorbikes everywhere you go make every journey an unpleasant experience!

The outcome of the above is that we are in the process of moving from Kenya!

Hi, did you leave? We are currently in Cardiff and thinking of moving to nanyuki without kids 24, 11 and 9.
Regards

Hello,

I am living in Kenya and happy to welcome you.

"We are currently in Cardiff and thinking of moving to nanyuki without kids 24, 11 and 9."

I take it that you mean WITH kids?  Bear in mind that anyone over 18 will have to apply as an adult in their own right and is therefore likely be treated as independent from the family.

Ih dear, yes my mistake. And it is 14, 11 and 9. Thanks

I write a blog *** and there is a bunch of info on there.  But. i have. to say that some of hte above answers are perfect and I couldnt agree more

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : thanks to post your blog in the blogs directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct