Cost of Short Term Insurance on MALTA

My wife and I are relocating to Malta in May this year. We are assessing all the relevant costs but have not been able to establish what basic insurance policycosts.
We will be looking at insuring a small second hand vehicle value approximately €5000 and personal effects for approximately € 10000.
Can anyone assist with approximate costs.

Our Terios (roughly same value) costs around €250 fully comp but that includes the road tax of €90 (old licence).

We rent so don't bother with personal insurance.

Terry

Thanks for info is this an annual payment? We usually pay insurance monthly so not sure.

annual.

I think there are many people who do not bother with contents cover because loss through fire is very unusual as the houses are all stone and theft/burglary is rare. You are more likely to have damage through damp than anything else!

Ray

Ray, many thanks for your input re, insurance, I am sorry to say that many of us down in South Africa are now leaving because of "issues" that revolve around security and the cost of the insurance that is required to give peace of mind.

PaulJMc wrote:

Ray, many thanks for your input re, insurance, I am sorry to say that many of us down in South Africa are now leaving because of "issues" that revolve around security and the cost of the insurance that is required to give peace of mind.

In Gozo its not unusual to see front door keys left in the doors.

Wow, am so looking forward to our new way of life.

Hi Paul,
My family and I arrived from South Africa at the end of last year - literally 28 December. You will enjoy the freedom of not having to watch your bag/wallet/home every two seconds. It feels nice to leave our front door open and not worry about someone walking in with a gun.

We just paid 250E for our car insurance. We didn't even consider for our home! It is well worth everything coming here - I still jump when I hear fire-crackers and do tend to look behind me a little when walking in the streets at night, but it gets better every day.

All the best, Julie

After seeing all the posts about Paceville I have to say I was getting a bit concerned about security so it's nice to see this topic. I've traveled quite a bit and believe me after spending some time with the Fort Worth PD, Paceville sounds quite tame (although I've not intention of going there). I'm over in February to find an area that I want to live and hope to move in April. I've never been to Malta before so I'm quite looking forward to seeing the place. Still haven't decided between Malta or Gozo. :cool:

Don't get me wrong  Chalks . Any post about problems in Paceville only refesr to Paceville and , in particular', the area near the stairs and at night. The later the more dangerous. After 10 pm and as a single man you can count on having foreign girls dance around you and even grabbing your private parts! If you complain you run the risk of being beaten up !

Otherwise Malta is certainly a really safe country! Of course you have use your common sense , especially in crowds , on buses and on the beach.

According to latest news the popularity of Paceville is fading anyway and young people are starting to prefer other areas. Many clubs in Paceville have been turned into so called ' Gentlemen Clubs'  but as with many ideas in Malta, once successful ideas are copied until the whole thing collapses due to too much competition. So hopefully we are seeing this happen in Paceville.

Cheers
Ricky