Relocating to Nairobi

Hello all,

My wife and I will likely be relocating to Nairobi. We currently live in Vietnam. It would be great if you wish to link with us so that when we arrive (March), we have some people that we can meet. Please kindly note I do not need offers for housing or other services at present so kindly refrain from offering.

I am British, (middle aged) and my wife is Vietnamese. We enjoy food, cooking, outdoors and nature. My profession is business at a senior level, whilst my wife translates, learns languages (Chinese and Japanese in addition to speaking English and Vietnamese) and also writes for a living. So with respect, we're not just looking for people to 'hang-out' with, but for interesting social interaction.

So that is our profile. We look forward to hearing from you.

Hello,  Karibuni Kenya (welcome). 

Kenya is not an easy country in which to settle as a foreigner, even when your partner is a Kenyan citizen.

Immigration rules are quite tough, especially those related to foreigners wishing to work here.  Permits are expensive and bribes to obtain them are common.  On a normal 'tourist' visa, you will only be able to stay here for a maximum of 6 months before having to leave Kenya (and East Africa), then return to renew your visa for a further 6 months.  This visa prohibits work of any kind - even voluntary work.

Added to which, Kenya and Nairobi in particular is not cheap.

I would strongly recommend thoroughly 'doing your homework' before making your final decision.

Thank you Longonot62. I hear your point.

I have lived and worked in various parts of the world, including Africa. The eyes are open. I will be coming to work there. Permits, whether here in Vietnam, or in Kenya are almost always 'challenging' but achievable. Lets us look at the positives and worry about the not so positives as and when they arise. Best, Martin.

Will you be working for an employer, or setting up your own company?  For the latter, you will need a minimum of $100,000 cash at the bank, or investments and need to show how your company will benefit Kenya; e.g.; providing training and employment to Kenyans.  For some businesses, health, religious and tourism sectors, additional government permits are required. 

We have a registered company, but I was unsuccessful (about 3 years ago) in making a work permit application, despite apparently meeting the above criteria.

At the moment, rules can be bypassed to certain extent, with bribes and by engaging a good agent who is well known at Nyayo House (Immigration).  Bribes are often almost as much as the cost of the permit for which you are applying, as Immigration officials know how much applicants want the right to remain here.

There is currently a drive to clamp down on corruption though - not sure how this will work out though as it is so ingrained.

Rules here, relating to work permits have progressively tightened over the years.

Thanks again for your comments. Similar difficulties are experienced here in Vietnam. Let's see.

Martin and amp Chi welcome in Kenya

He is so determined that he will come to work. I am on watch.  We have educated our children to Ph.d level and they have no jobs because of such.  Not welcome if you are coming to work. Our children cannot even smell a UK or Vietnamese Visa leave alone work.

Welcome to Kenya.Hope you enjoy this beautiful country

Welcome to Kenya. We shall be glad for you coming over and interact with us. Whatever assistance you, feel free to ask.
Anthony

wanjiru wrote:

He is so determined that he will come to work. I am on watch.  We have educated our children to Ph.d level and they have no jobs because of such.  Not welcome if you are coming to work. Our children cannot even smell a UK or Vietnamese Visa leave alone work.

While I understand where you are coming from, Wanjiru, Please keep posts friendly and/or informative.

Hi
Welcome to Kenya and despite the challenges it's a beautiful country with lovely people and multi culturally diverse. It's also changing rapidly so I believe you will enjoy the changing landscape.
Karibu 😀

http://www.jambonewspot.com/nairobi-nam … in-africa/