Sat Nav advice please!

Hi all.

Ok moving over in March and will be hiring a cheap car to get me around. Pretty new to Malta having only been over 3 times of which none of those visits have I driven. Also only passed my test 2 months ago so being thrown in at the deep end with the Malta driving system and finding my around.

Anyway. My partners drove us last time and without a Sat Nav we probably would have spent a night in a side road in the middle of no where. We used Google Maps on my phone previously which was average. Problem was it seemed to lag behind. Not only that it drained my battery to buggery so I need a separate device for finding my way around. Feedback I have so far is sat nav is not blissful like it is over here in the UK I assume because of the road works and changes they make out there.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a sat nav that I can pick up in the UK before I travel. Another thing I hear is that the speed camera function is illegal out there is that correct? If so do people still use this feature despite the laws? Are there many speed cameras that I need to be wary of?

If someone can recommend a particular model that would be lovely.

Thanks all.

Dan

We use  a cheap Chines model when we first moved to Malta, something like this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-8GB-TR … SwJcZWgLtj

Works fine and we now use it all over Europe when travelling in our motorhome.

Not many speed cameras in Malta and all clearly marked.
No enforcement  of anything in Malta so you are unlikely to be stopped and fined for having a warning device fitted! ( they can be turned off if part of the satnav anyway).

With the standard of driving in Malta a dash cam is more useful than  a satnav, mine has already saved us quite a few Euros on an insurance claim.

Terry

Great info thanks.

I was thinking about a dash cam actually. Although it is likely I will hiring a car rather than buying due to lack of funds. I would be covered with insurance as part of the hire agreement usually do you know2?

Yes the hire agreement will usually include insurance but worth checking that it also covers personal items (satnav or dash cam ) if stolen from the vehicle.

Terry