Malta absolute basics - please help

Hi

I'm being considered for an accountancy job in Malta and need help in a couple of areas please.

1. Living area. My husband and I would be moving from near Glasgow to work in Valletta. We currently live in a spacious 4 bed property in a quiet area. Where would you recommend staying for a similar living experience with an easy commute to Valletta? Don't have many specific requirementz just spacious, quiet and some outdoors space.

2. Does anyone work in an accountancy or legal environment who can comment honestly on the working environment? I would like to know whether extra hours are expected, whether work is fast paced with tough targets or whether people like to have a  more healthy work life balance.

Thanks for any comments

1. Best to give us an indication of rental budget, type and size of property. Do you want a house or would a flat do? Do you need 4 bedrooms or would you be happy with 2? These factors will determine where you can stay.

2. Yes you will be expected to work extra hours at most places and it will be fast paced but I still think it won't be as demanding as it is in the UK. As an accountant, you should be able to find an alternative job quite easily if you don't like the one you start with.

In all honesty - and i dont mean any disrespect  = its tough working for a Maltese boss.....

Hi, thanks for replying

We'd prefer a house but don't need four bedrooms, two or three would be fine. I'm not sure about budget - no more than €1000 per month maybe?

I just moved here last week & started a new job yesterday as an accountant. When I asked my new colleagues about overtime expectations I was told 1 day last year they worked till nearly 8pm and they do 3-4 Saturday's a year. Compared to back home where I worked till 8pm most days & frequently much later I'm thinking the pace is significantly less here....but it's too premature to offer any real advice!

Well that sounds promising! Have you found the area you want to live in yet or are you in temp accommodation? I'm keen to find somewhere quite quiet but still easy to commute to work.

Best of luck in your new job :)

That's going to be very difficult on 1000/month in those areas. There really isn't much peace & quiet around Valletta (and if there is it's going to be ridiculously expensive). :(

Try somewhere around Attard but even that isn't going to be an easy commute plus Attard is expensive for rents...

How long would the commute from Attard take? I take it the commute to Valletta is by bus?

I live in Attard and the bus (off peak) takes 20-30 mins to Valletta, so allowing for peak traffic 45 mins or so on a regular day. Rain etc may increase this.

Below link to the Attard to Valletta bus route, there is one every ten mins 51/52/53. There is a 54 as well, but that goes through Valley Road Birkirkara which gets very congested and currently floods in the rain.

http://www.publictransport.com.mt/51-52-53-54-55

Regarding housing, you can pick up a large-ish 3 bed apartment with garage for under 1000 euro (some with outside space) not sure about houses though. Have a check through the agents websites to give you a ballpark, although as it has been said before on the site, don't expect many if any of the properties on the sites to be available.

I don't think there is any place in Malta where it is easy to commute to Valletta except Valleta itself :) . It seems that all Malta between 07:00 and 10:00 wants to go to Valletta or Sliema.

1000 € gives you enough for a very good rental accomodation. I would suggest you renting in Floriana or Msida, whatever is nearest to Valletta, the time that will save you in overall will be gigantic. If you live nearby you will be able to get the bus, or even if you are fit, cycle to work.

But it will be a bit hard to find a detached house near Valletta, I will recommend you get a flat.

Hi, thanks everyone for the advice. Turns out I was misinformed and the job would be in Birkirkara - is it an easier commute? Any updated advice on commuting or suggestions on living area would be welcome, I will post a new topic too. Thanks again

I live in Attard and walk to work in Birkirkara daily.

If working in Birkirkara, Attard, Balzan, Lija, Hamrun, Mosta, Qormi and even southern Naxxar are quick(ish) commutes

You are more lucky if you have to work on Birkirkara. The main street and the Iklin by-pass are usually very busy, but at least you have plenty of places nearby to live and still be commuting in 20 minutes. To the ones mentioned by paulolly I would add Iklin and even San Gwann. Also, you could find a house with the rooms and budget you ask in that zone quite easily.

Great, sounds promising then! Now I just have to get the job!! Thanks everyone