Looking for Clubs

...such as Toastmasters', Book Lovers', and Sports Club for volleyball and/or badminton players every Friday. Do you know of any?

hey
your compound should have a homefax of ads or post flyers that tell you whats on and where and each compound has different activities and times :)
i know that arabian homes has a book club and i think al hamra has volleyball club?!
just get to know people because usually groups of friends organise things rather than large compounds as such..

p.s. what's toastmasters? lol...

Toastmaster is someone who never burns the toast, always cooks it even on all corners and both sides. They good to have in the kitchen these toastmasters.

Sometimes they talk about their experiences at functions.

Sparrow wrote:

Toastmaster is someone who never burns the toast, always cooks it even on all corners and both sides. They good to have in the kitchen these toastmasters.

what the hell?! haha..
its a group that gets together to talk about how they toast bread? lmao.

Simona L wrote:

what the hell?! haha..
its a group that gets together to talk about how they toast bread? lmao.

not only how to toast bread but also how to make butter toast, jam toast,  bread crumbs etc.

... well now i can say in the short precious life that i have lived thus far, i have NOW heard everything there is to hear... and this definitely makes this list of weird things that i will not even try to comprehend and understand.

the end

c;mon guys...we are here to give the right information, not to mislead them... i know it will be boring, but i believe in giving the right information in a humorous way...
Toastmasters is a non-profitable organization. Its some sorta event in which people are allowed to give some speeches or some kinda public speaking so to improve their communication skills...

Wen i was in Jeddah, I once went to a car showroom. There a person gave me his card and told me about this and invited me to this event... hence i know this... BUT I DIDNT GO as i thought it would be boring

One of my colleague's - neighbour's - husband is a part of it and just last week they invited me. but the same problem, thinking its boring I didnt go there.

But if I am able to collect enough interesting people probably would go there.

what ya all say.

Sparrow wrote:

Tastefully witty.

PS - Simone L, when you get into the thread you certainly seem to get these guys up for it.

Ridiculing her is getting people 'up for it'? whatever.

As for Josh123, where is it said he lives in a compound?  I am thinking that if he had to ask about clubs, he obviously doesn't.
Not everybody is so lucky.

Allie just chill.  It appears an attempt at humor apparently is no longer allowed except for a few.

Key words were 'an attempt' :lol:

I'll give you that.  Didn't say I was Shecky Greene or Robin Williams. :)

Been to a couple of Asian TM functions as a guest. I think they would be better off giving their speeches in their native language rather than in English. It was horrifying to listen....

Thank you guys for your humurous yet relevant responses. I thought nobody would care to reply to it anymore. Must be busy last weekend? What do you guys do on a weekend?

Unfortunately, I don't live in a compound. I'm one of the working class "Fillies"  who is confined in the four corners of  his company's accommodation with nothing to do but just Eat, Pray, and Love. Lol! I really love Elizabeth Gilbert. Which is the reason why I'm looking for a booklover's club where you can make friends while learning. The place is already a prison for me so locking myself up in my room is a redundance!

Toastmasters' is also a great way to improve one's public speaking skills in English. So don't you think giving speeches in your native tongue defeats the purpose? I'm amazed by those people who can express their thoughts in English knowing that it's their second language. How much more when they speak in their mother tongue? Sometimes, we critize one's use of English based on the syntactic level. While form is essential, so is the meaning --if not even more.

By the way, while waiting for your responses, I came across with a fellow who is a mentor in one of the TM clubs here in Riyadh and he invited me to attend in their meeting this Friday. Who wants to join?

shahab.ali wrote:

c;mon guys...we are here to give the right information, not to mislead them... i know it will be boring, but i believe in giving the right information in a humorous way...
Toastmasters is a non-profitable organization. Its some sorta event in which people are allowed to give some speeches or some kinda public speaking so to improve their communication skills...

Wen i was in Jeddah, I once went to a car showroom. There a person gave me his card and told me about this and invited me to this event... hence i know this... BUT I DIDNT GO as i thought it would be boring

thank you shahab i appreciate that... cant say the same for the rest of you.

Hey my bad.  I apologize. Just based my comment on previous thread comments.  Sorry.

CivEngr wrote:

Hey my bad.  I apologize. Just based my comment on previous thread comments.  Sorry.

no hard feelings there Civ :) you didnt do anything wrong lol

... sparrow im looking at you :/

hah no im not that easily angered, but seriously it did leave me intrigued haha.. i was like a group about toast?? but honestly that wouldnt surprise me... maybe we should all start our own ;) ill bring my hello kitty toaster that burns a hello kitty face into the bread! :cheers:

Hey Sparrow is cool, cut her some slack.  You have to admit that it was well written and witty.

CivEngr wrote:

Hey Sparrow is cool, cut her some slack.  You have to admit that it was well written and witty.

lol settle Civ im not going to hunt her down... and though i admire your defensive nature i dont usually esteem people on their ability to retaliate and/ or make witty comebacks

but seriously it did leave me intrigued haha.. i was like a group about toast?? but honestly that wouldnt surprise me... maybe we should all start our own  ill bring my hello kitty toaster that burns a hello kitty face into the bread!

I, for one, found the joke humorous and without disrespect to Simona.

Now, that Hello Kitty Toast...

There do seem to be a dearth of organizations for expats in the Kingdom, in general, I think.  Most people just kind of "hunker down" during their time...put in the years and leave.

But it doesn't have to be that way.  I mean, how hard can it be to start a book club?  Find a location, paper a few hundred notices in the area, everyone buy a book...and away you go.

Seriously,i never heard anything like Toastmaster thingy ever in my life.I m glad its a new addition in my Knowledge :) Well Josh,u might have participated in your meeting of TM.So was it worthy?:P

TM's are very prevalent in US company offices.  They are encouraged by management to improve presentation skills, especially for those who will be representing the company at events or in presentations.  Usually done at lunch on their own time and own lunch dime though.

While the objective of the TM movement is to help people acquire their speaking skills, one must also recognize the fact that before one speaks one must also learn the language...?

musicman wrote:

While the objective of the TM movement is to help people acquire their speaking skills, one must also recognize the fact that before one speaks one must also learn the language...?

Yes,i have done this many times but we just named it"Conversation session" Its like we choose several topics and make two teams and then long argument :rolleyes:

nonz wrote:
musicman wrote:

Yes,i have done this many times but we just named it"Conversation session" Its like we choose several topics and make two teams and then long argument :rolleyes:

That's called the debate team. You argue one side even though you may not agree with it.  Really makes one think and put aside your preconceptions. It is a good exercise.

yeah debate is bit more formal i guess but u r right debate is more appropriate word for it

nonz wrote:

yeah debate is bit more formal i guess but u r right debate is more appropriate word for it

I think this calls for a Mass Debate lol !!! :lol:

Sozz, couldn't help it......

:)

With this crowd, it was a no brainer.

CivEngr wrote:

With this crowd, it was a no brainer.

:o:o:o

are they official Toastmaster group or only having the name?

why since i started exploring this weird site i cant find but either gays "Activities"  or housewives talks !!!!

Anarchist I never realized it :o until i saw your presence here... :lol:

I said it before and i'll say it again:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=toastmaster+riyadh

Seems a quick google search reveals there are 25 Toasmaster clubs in Riyadh

:D:D:D:D:D

Oh this topic got boring.  I liked the toaster/jelly tangent better.  The actual topic has been covered well enough.  Let's go back the kitchen appliance discussion.

nonz wrote:

Anarchist I never realized it :o until i saw your presence here... :lol:

:one