Starting a Career in Barcelona !!

Hi all,
My name is Marcello I live in Toronto Canada. I already have my Italian passport so im a member of the EU. Right now i live a pretty comfortable life im a Project Manager for a visual communications company. Im wondering if anyone has any advice on starting a career from scratch in another country?? How do I apply for jobs etc.

Welcome on board Marchy!

You'll be able to work in Europe with your Italian passport.

Have you already consulted big employment websites such as monster.es ?

Have you already been in Barcelona? Any contact there?

Hi Marcello!

I think I can give you some insight into how it is to start from scratch in a new country.  I'm a TV commercials director from London and I came to Barcelona a year ago with my girlfriend thinking that I could try something new.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to work with film and video anymore as it's a very freelance life, which I decided wasn't right for me anymore.  So basically I have been very open minded and looking around to see what's available.  Unfortunately my Spanish is quite poor and my Catalan is non existent, so it's been very difficult.  I could go back to directing ads, but it's been my decision not to for the moment.  The options for English speakers are very few if you have no experience and want to to change your career.  It pretty much comes down to being an English teacher, telesales and customer service jobs.  You see the same jobs all the time on Loquo.com and Infojobs.com (a tip is to type "English" as a keyword if you don't speak Spanish or Catalan).  So my advice is to be prepared as it's very difficult.  If you are planning to come and live in Barcelona (which is a fantastic place) then get in touch.

I wish you luck, Marc

Marcello,

Far and away the easiest way is to get transferred within a company, so if you like your work, and you don't feel you need to move THIS year, you may want to find a job with an international firm that has offices or work here, stating that you would be interested in moving etc etc etc....your best bet, I think, if you don't want to end up teaching Engish or waiting tables is to look at companies in your field that have dealings with BCN and make the move that way rather than starting cold.

My two cents, but it could work.  Study Spanish and Catalan too...now.

hi, I want to come to Barcelona yo and I am a little worried about a job.
I currently work in marketing as a brand manager.
and I am learning spanish.
my country is in EU.
would it be difficult for an employer to hire me? (as for the papers to be filled in)as far as I now I don't need a visa as in Britain for example
does anyone knoe for sure?
thanks
raluca

If you have an EU passport you have the right to live and work in Spain, you will need to apply for a NIE, which is your number as a non-Spaniard, and by bureaucratic standards, it wasn't too hard to get.

hi, should I get this NIE before starting applying for a job or after?
many many thanks

Hello,

could anyone please tell me where to apply for a NIE? Do I have to do that before applying for a job?
Thanks,

Cecile

hi, I did some research on the internet.
if you are already in spain (in barcelona) you can go and apply in person and costs a few euros or something like that.
but anyway, there is a website nienumber.com if you are not yet in spain and you want to get the number, you'get it in about 2 weeks at home.
there are some steps to follow, but you'll have to pay (depends wich country you're coming from)aroud 200 euros.

I think you have to get the nie number before geting a job.

good luck

Start getting the NIE right away, you get it from one of the police groups I think, policia national, or the guardia civil, I cannot remember, sorry....

If you want to work legally, get the nie, you can get health care then too.