Teaching in Barcelona

Hi,

I will be moving to Barcelona in August this year as my wife has been offered a job teaching in an international school. I am also a teacher and so am also looking for jobs in international schools, however, as a plan B I am trying to find out more about teaching English as a foreign language.

Can anyone offer any information on how I might go about getting such work? I have a PGCE from an English University; would this be sufficient qualification or would I need to complete a TEFL course?

Look forward to hearing from anyone who can help at all.

Cheers

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are moving to Barcelona in Sept. I'm also a teacher and have the same qualification as you. I'm not entirely sure if our qualifications are enough but I think alot of schools look for the baccalauriate (not the right spelling i dont think). On the TES website, alot of the ad's will tell you what they require for applicants.

I'm a drama teacher so I'm getting in touch with theatre schools and private drama classes. What do you teach?You could look into private tuition.

Hope this helps some.

Cat

Hey guys,
Maybe these posts are old and you know all the answers now! If so, would you mind sharing your info?
I'm certified to teach in the US Art all levels, Spanish 6-12, and have pending certification for Generalist Elementary. I'm moving to BCN next week and will have working papers ready in....a while I guess.
Just wondering if y'all found any teaching jobs or have any searching advice. I'm also considering taking an TEFL course there, as many jobs in education seem to want it....
Thanks, teacher friends!
-Angela

Hi guys,

Thanks for posting. I've haven't been on here for ages.

I've got something potentially lined up at an international school. I've concentrated my efforts towards that rather than looking into TEFL. My friend has a the TEFL qualification and spent a few months in Barcelona. He seemed to think that it would be difficult to get work teaching English without the qualification. I'm just not sure I want to spend so much on the course, as I only did my teacher training last year. He did recommend a specific language school as well. I'll get back in touch with him, find out what it was and post on here. 

My wife has a job at a small international school outside of Barcelona in La Garriga. Her headteacher advised me that all of the international schools will have supply lists and that I should try to get on these lists as they are always looking for English speaking qualified teachers. They seem to think that I wouldn't have a problem finding something.

Good luck with the job hunting!

Hey guys....im thinking about moving to Barcelona next September and am looking for Primary Teaching jobs in an International school. Iv heard some bad stories about people who have done a similar thing saying the pay is really bad and teaching conditions not good either so wondered what your experiences were and if you could give me any advice about life / jobs and teaching in a foreign country.

I am thinking of visiting in October and would love to look around some schools or talk to people about their experiences so please get in touch if you can offer any pearls of wisdom!

Thanks x

Hi Kate,

I just came across your profile and just wanted to know what is your situation as I am also looking to move from London to Barcelona. Have you already moved to Barcelona or are you still in the U.K.? Also can you speak Spanish?

Thanks
Walter