Part time job with Study visa

I got selected for Masters program at the Univ. of Barcelona. On my return to India, I went to the Spanish Embassy to inquire a few things regarding the studies visa for Spain. The officials there told me that if I go to Spain on a student visa, I will not be allowed to work part-time there??

Is this true? I wish to support myself with some part time job, is it not possible to work on student visa? I have heard that everyone goes abroad for studies and get a part time job to earn some cash... Please throw some light...

Hi siddharthmishra,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have moved your topic on the Barcelona forum for better visibility.

I wish you good luck in your search.

All the best,
Christine
------------
Expat.com team

Hi Siddharth.

What is your legal status in Spain? Do you have a Student's Visa or Work Visa?

With a student's visa, legally you can just undertake "Practicas (Internship)" that too limited to 20 Hours a week. If the internship is not in ur University, then the employer company has to sign "Convenio (Agreement)" with you and your university for the internship.

If you wish to work more than 20 hours a week, then you need to apply for a work authorization (its not a work visa) on top of your student visa, which will allow you to work upto max 40 hours a week, provided your university proves that the course you are undertaking may allow you to work 40 hours a week and study simultaneously.

Lastly, following the spanish reputation, all these bureaucratic mumbo jumbo about getting a work authorization and stuff may require months to culminate.

http://www20.gencat.cat/portal/site/emp … Lang=en_GB may give you some first hand information about Working in Catalonia. Although the information is in English, Spanish public servants seldom speak anything else than the local/national language.

Cheerz!

Thanks a lot Pratsgogo,

I am on a student visa here. It is still not clear if I can work part time or not. I inquired in the UB student office, and they tell me that I can work for 20 hours in a week. They aren't very sure though.

I guess owing to the current crisis here, finding a job is quite difficult. And I found that getting a work authorization is a hell of a task too... Lets see.. :)

Hi, Siddharthmishra.
I found this blog and I`m going to Barcelona in this summer as a student.
I guess you graduated your master program already:)
What is your experience with getting a job?
Thank)