Cuenca: The adventure begins

Greetings from the almost leaving Round Rock TX. 

My beautiful, recently retired wife, Louise and I (Don), will be moving to Cuenca on 10/8/15 as we just bought our airline tickets last night.  All of "papers" are in order, except for the pet sign off by the Feds and the Ecuadorian consulate in Houston, which we will take care as the date approaches.

Just wanted to introduce ourselves before we start harassing  the members of this forum with endless detailed questions, that I'm sure will come up as the date gets closer and closer...

Thanks for posting, friend.   :top:

Once in Ecuador if you could keep us updated on visa procedures and processes, housing adventures, and any other relevant information that spring to mind - I [we] would be ever so grateful for your insight and inputs.

Keep in touch and many best wishes for your future endeavors-

gardener1

Gardner1,
Any specific questions?  We can address the process we we thru in the Austin Secretary of State office, which was pretty painless.  Allow enough time so you mail in the required paperwork, rather than an in-person application and it should be almost hassle-free. Remember the almost part..
Don

Consider selling your car(s) through CarMax.

I did it in Cincinnati several years ago, and got a fair price with no-hassle vetting.

cccmedia in Quito

Avenger Azul wrote:

almost leaving Round Rock TX....will be moving to Cuenca on 10/8/15 as we just bought our airline tickets last night.  All of "papers" are in order, except for the pet sign off....

In case you might ever want to drive a car in Ecuador ... make sure you don't miss this ...

Get your driving record certified and apostilled in The Lone Star State before the trip.

It will save you from serious problems while in Ecuador if seeking to convert to an EC drivers license.

Use the searchbox atop this page to get to the "Car Lovers" thread if you want more details about this little wrinkle that Expats often don't address in time.

cccmedia in Quito

Avenger Azul wrote:

Gardner1,
Any specific questions?  We can address the process we we thru in the Austin Secretary of State office, which was pretty painless.  Allow enough time so you mail in the required paperwork, rather than an in-person application and it should be almost hassle-free. Remember the almost part..
Don

So did you both get the apostilled FBI reports? If so, how long did that take from start to finish?

Will you be using an attorney in Ecuador to complete the visa process or are you going to attempt to do it without help?

The FBI process start to finish only took us a little over a week (much to our surprise).  But based on the info my wife got on the expats Facebook site, we will finish the process in Ecuador to avoid any hassle.

Don

Avenger Azul wrote:

The FBI process start to finish only took us a little over a week (much to our surprise).  Don

A week??

So from the day you mailed the FBI request, and including the US Department of State apostille for the FBI report, it was returned to you in about a week.

Affirm?

Thanks for the info on the driving stuff.  But based on our experience when we checked out Cuenca last year, I can think of better ways to risk my life than trying to navigate those traffic circles. And I cut my teeth driving in L.A., New York City and the Jersesy turnpike. 

We'll contribute to the local economy by cabbing for a while 🙈.

Affirm.  We included all the self addressed overnight envelopes with our submissions.

Avenger Azul wrote:

The FBI process start to finish only took us a little over a week (much to our surprise).  But based on the info my wife got on the expats Facebook site, we will finish the process in Ecuador to avoid any hassle.

Uh-huh.

Well, Don, you might want to balance whatever your wife found .. with my experience.

I am making an assumption as to what you mean by "finish the process in Ecuador," but if I am assuming incorrectly, the following information may be helpful to reader(s) other than you and your wife.

I had my FBI report processed by an FBI channeler in Cincinnati, and got the report via email attachment after arriving in Quito the next week.

When I sent the FBI background check from Quito to Washington, D.C., the U.S. State Department unaccountably sent it back to me without the apostille I needed.

By the time it got straightened out, I lost many weeks of time due to the back-and-forth in international mailings.  I missed the deadline to file my residency-visa application due to the missing apostille .. and had to get a rare 45-day non-immigrant visa extension with attorney assistance just to stay in Ecuador long enough to get the State Department apostille and submit the visa application.

So whatever they said on Facebook, consider giving another thought to completing the FBI-and-apostille process beforehand.  IMO, don't leave home without it.

cccmedia in Quito, USA citizen, Ecuador residency-visa holder

After we received the FBI report, we mailed it the Fed. Secretary of State office for their apostille process, got it,  we did the same with the state of Texas (that was more of a manual process, but Austin is the state capital, a 10 minute ride down the highway way, sorta' of) then mailed our Social Security verification to the Ecuadorian counsulate's office in Houston for their eyeball, got that back with their okay,

When we apply for our permanent immigration, that's what we will handle in country, since all that will have to translated locally.

Don

Regarding driving here…….there are definitely some unique aspects to driving, not to mention that everything is in spanish……..when I first got here……I was content to be a passenger for a few weeks before driving and was happy I did this…..
Now driving in the cities, Quito, Cuenca, and of course every bodies favorite and most desired city in Ecuador, Guayaquil; it is more dangerous and difficult…..if you are out of the cities, less dangerous……BUT still there are a few critical things to be aware of that may save your life……

For example, if you are driving out in the country, or along the mountain roads and see some rocks, or branches or brush sitting in the middle of your lane……slow down…..this is often used as a sign of a broken down vehicle ahead…..complicating matters is these are often not removed after said vehicle is removed…

As for obtaining a license here, not too bad of a process…..I am aware of a few ex-pats who have not bothered and continue to use their native country license without problems for years……
For me, I believe it better to follow to get a license here, there are enough problems in life without creating avoidable ones…….
Vaya con Dios y viva Christo Rey

AMDG,
Thanks for the driving tips.  But for the time being, we'll be content to be chauffeured about.  After driving around in the worst traffic cities in, to what I am now referring to El Norte, I'll just get in a cab and pray for success.  At least for the first three months as we acclimate to the altitude, language, etc.

Don

Nothing wrong with taking a cab………I still do it sometimes just because you do not have to find parking, which can be a huge problem in some places……

Great to read your post!!! I should be moving around the same time (from Florida) give or take a few days. Already have my apt and just taking care of odds and ends here. How stressful this move is!!! Has it been difficult re your pet??? I am trying to bring my three dogs!!! Can't wait to start the adventure!!! Maybe we can all meet up once settled. Best of luck!!! Lynn

Ipuccio721,
Arriving 10/9 in Cuenca.  Would be glad to meet up.  As new expats, we can start building new networks of friends.  We meet some people there last year on our exploratory, so we have some grounding. We've rented a vacation property for two weeks while we decide where to set up more permanent digs.  We have two pets, each registered as emotional support animals (1 each).  So the initial leg of the journey we will have a little more latitude with them in-cabin.  Understand about the stress, but the excitement of the new life adventure is a great channel outlet for all that emotion.  Keep smiling 😅

What are "emotional support" animals and how does one get that designation?  My birds are my emotional support.  I think I need this.

Birdmama,
Go to theDOGter.net and it will guide you through the process.  This applicable for U.S. airlines.

Don (Avenger Azul)

Safe travels!

You are very wise to at least begin by not having a car.  I am very happy navigating Cuenca on foot, via bus, and on rare occasions using a cab.  I am certain that it is safer and much more economical, not to mention more fun, this way.  You will learn your new city best, especially El Centro, on foot.  And using the local buses is a fabulous way to learn about the people and culture of your new home.

Louisb333,
Thank you for your reply.  Our plan is exactly as you laid out.  We plan a lot of walking in and around El Centro.  Being a cultural anthropologist at heart, my plan is to visit as many churches, museums, farmers markets, artisan shops, and interact with the various indigenous people as I can. 

First goal is the language, as I have posted elsewhere, I know enough Spanish to get me arrested.  In addition, many of the Spanish idioms I do know could be considered impolite outside California and Texas, as one of my Spainard friends once pointed out.

So my wife and plan to take a local Spanish class and go the total immersion route.

Don

Avenger Azul wrote:

So my wife and plan to take a local Spanish class and go the total immersion route.

I have not heard of anyone going the total immersion route before in Cuenca. Maybe it is a question of semantics. Do you intend to avoid gringo establishments where English is widely spoken?  Will you not speak English with your wife or even use internet entertainment options such as Netflix during your time in Cuenca?

Just so you know someone who is fully immersed in the local culture, I live in a pueblo, part of Cuenca where I am the only gringo.  I avoid establishments that cater to gringos, and outside of one gringo friend all of my connections are with locals.  My girlfriend is Cuencana, with whom I am having a baby this coming February....so more or less total immersion in the local culture is very doable....

No, not exactly.  What I meant by total immersion was that I would frequent more local as opposed to just expat locales.  I will take the Spanish classes and put myself in situations where Spanish must be spoken and explain to the people I am conversing with to help me with my learning process.  Now when I feel totally proficient then I may go the total local route.  Until then, the training wheels are definitely on.

Don