Police Clearance for US citizen living in foreign country

Help! I know this topic has been brought up many times, but my particular circumstance has not been discussed, and I am coming up against road blocks trying to find the answer on my own.

I have lived in Jordan for the last five years, I have been offered a job in Kuwait. They are asking for police clearance, and I provided police clearance from Jordan because the Kuwait embassy here said the it would suffice. I just got a call from my employer stating that since I am traveling to Kuwait, and will be employed as an American, I must obtain police clearance from the US. They insist that I can get this at the American embassy in Amman. I contacted the American embassy in Amman when this first came up, and they told me that they do not do this. They did certify the finger print card I obtained to start the process, only.

Any help is appreciated. I had planned to be in Kuwait months ago. How long does this process take if you are in America when you apply?

Here's a quick flow chart.

1: Apply for and receive an FBI clearance (background check) which will take 6 to 8 weeks.

2: Get your FBI clearance "authenticated".

To to this either send (by mail) or make an appointment to go in person to the office in DC that authenticates documents.
If you apply by mail, expect about a 6 to 8 week turnaround.
If you go in person, you can make an appointment within a week.

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/ … tions.html