Advice on Moving to Kigoma

Hello,

Later this month I will be moving from the US to Kigoma for a six to ten month stay. I wanted to post a message here and see if anyone has any suggestions on living in or around that general area. Any guidance on internet access, purchasing a cell phone, and general cost of living would be greatly appreciated.

I realize these are rather broad requests, but this will be my first time to Tanzania (and Africa) and I'm not entirely sure what to expect, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks very much.

John

Welcome on Expat-blog John! :)

(you might want to check out other threads on the Tanzania forum?)

I wish you good luck and hope other members will be able to advice you.
Christine

Hi John,

Congrats on your upcoming move. We live in Arusha, Tanzania, but have researched a little about Kigoma. Prepare yourself for some culture shock. :-)

Kigoma is more remote with not a lot, from what I understand. I have heard that power outages are very common so perhaps bring with you a good flashlight or rechargeable lamp, that is 120/240 volt compatible.

Little things you might not think of to bring also are things like:
Batteries (especially double A)
A small fan 120/240 v compatible.
Stick deodorant (I have only ever seen spray in TZ)
Comfort things.
Favorite pillow or blanket
Good socks, undershirts, (Most all the clothes that you buy in TZ, in the more remote places, are at the market, and the clothes have come from Goodwill and second hand stores in America. You can find some good second hand things, but I prefer my underwear, socks, to be newer. :-) 
Maybe even some snack foods to get you through, until you get use the African cooking. There are not a lot of snack type foods and sometimes cravings set in. :-)

For more info email me at my email and I will send you a PDF doc. with some other stuff that I have written up.

Take Care.
Bonnie TZ

Thanks so much, Bonnie. This is a great help and I really appreciate the advice. I'll definitely email you for the PDF.

Thanks again!

John