Marsascala - How is general life there?

Hi everyone! I am new to this group.
My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Malta from the UK this year. My boyfriend inherited a flat in Marsaskala from his Maltese father and we are debating whether to sell it or settle down there.
We have a one year old son so will need to find out about nurseries and schools, baby/toddler groups, and general life in Malta for a young family.
My partner has been going there every year and loves it.
If anyone has any experience living in Marsascala, it would be great to know. Also information about the best government primary schools nearby.
Thanks!
Amanda

Hi Amanda

My daughter and I moved to Marsascala in October last year and my husband joined us in March. My daughter is nearly 9 and goes to the local primary government school - it comes under St Thomas College area of schools. I have been very impressed by the school and those who I have spoken to about the school always sings its praises. They start Kindergarten in a Primary at age 3 here and I used to think it too young but I think it's more of a preschool but in the same uniform and principles, it breaks them into school life early.

As for Marsascala itself I don't think you can beat it, especially for children. It's very family orientated with lots of parks, the beach and local activities. If you've inherited somewhere what have you to lose? Admittedly the job market is very different in pay scale but so is the cost of living here. My food, water/elec, rent And fuel are all much cheaper here. We rent out our home in Southampton for income and a safety net but I can't see us returning. It's so much safer here, fantastic place for kids to grow up our daughter has a totally different life here living outdoors whereas in the UK because I have spinal problems she was growing up in my bedroom!  We did 5 weeks here as a trial run last summer in the hottest month and we adjusted well so took the plunge. My husband came out every 3 wks until we were sure our daughter settled and as he's self employed it enable him to come and go as needed but I know that's not something everyone can do. You're lucky you have the property situation sorted but only you can decide the rest. Contact me anytime I have plenty of photos x

Thanks for the reply Aly, that helps a lot! We are hoping to go over to Malta this month for a short trial, but like you said- what have we got to lose! I know the schools will be shut but hopefully we can have a drive around and a nosey at them. I quite like the idea of them going in at 3 years old and mixing with children in school.
This is a more general question but what type of heating do you have and is the price relative to the wages etc? X

manda10 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Aly, that helps a lot! We are hoping to go over to Malta this month for a short trial, but like you said- what have we got to lose! I know the schools will be shut but hopefully we can have a drive around and a nosey at them. I quite like the idea of them going in at 3 years old and mixing with children in school.
This is a more general question but what type of heating do you have and is the price relative to the wages etc? X

there is no heating unless you use either a electic heater or a gas heater but there is no gas central heating or anything
marsaskala really is beautiful though -  i moved here last month after living in marsaxlokk and i love it

Hi Rob, thanks! That's what we thought but weren't sure.
Would you know about prices of gas canisters for gas cookers and heaters etc? How often they come?
Just adding up costs at the moment 😊

Good morning Amanda

The gas canisters range in price and size - they've just reduced the most popular size down to €15 for three months. When we came in October they were €18 then €16.50. The one for the cooker will last all winter unless you are a master chef. The calor gas fire lasts about 2/3 weeks depending on use.  The "gas man" comes to your area every week and is always at the front of the village ion Saturday's. We tend to keep a spare so we're never without. Marsascala school is actually open in the summer as there is a summer school in the morning there so you could go and see them. When you come over give me a shout and we could meet for a cuppa Aly

Perfect. I think we will take a look at the school when we are over then.
Would be great to meet for a cuppa too! Haven't booked flights yet (so last minute!) but will let you know when we are over.
Really appreciate your help
😊

Great look forward to meeting you soon 😀

Hi Manda
Let me know what you think of the school. I also am moving to Malta in mid Oct. I have a 91/2 year old boy. Not sure whether to send him to the government school or saddle myself with the cost of private. I dont wont him to have any huge language or learning issues. Aly -  Any further info from you would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ali

We have been in Malta 2 years and Marsascala a year n half of that time. We came to malta after throwing a dart at a map and didnt really know much about it, We visited marsascala for a day loved it and stayed.

We have a 4 year old in marsascala primary no complaints atall with the school it also offers a very well priced after school club that better suits working parents as the school hours are short.No need to worry bout language issues in school there is lots of expat kids and english is used alongside maltease not pushed to the back. Its great for kids play parks, pools and swimming areas. Also a relaxed atmosphere if you fancy a drink or watch the football in the pub with kids something i wouldn't do back in scotland.(well i did but couldnt tell my wife)

As a young couple with children it offers the perfect balance. The only draw back is better paying work is in sliema. My wife works there its a bit of a trek by bus especially in morning traffic.

Hi Amanda,

My husband and I moved out here last summer to give it a try for 6 months and we are still here. We are older than you with married kids back in the Uk but they come out often and visit. I really cant see us ever going back. We live in the St Thomas bay area, 100 metres from the beach and we are soon going to move into a house with a garden in Zonqor Point. (Still marsascala but further round the bay.) I wouldn't live anywhere else in Malta. Its an amazing place with very friendly people and some lovely bars and restaurants and certainly family orientated.
Heating is cheap. We bought a calor gas heater and its cheap to run. There is no council tax and our electric/water bills work out at about 50 euros a month for a very large 3 bed apartment. Our rent here is only 500 euros. Everything is cheaper thatn in the UK and with the exchange rate being quite amazing at the moment, it's great.
Look me up when you get here and I will join you and Ali for a cuppa.
Before I moved over here, I used this site a lot to find out information and I found it very helpful. I am great friends with a couple of brits who moved at the same time as I did and we actually became friends through this site and met up when we both got here.
Just do it! You will have no regrets and a much better way life.

Lesley

6327farag wrote:

We have been in Malta 2 years and Marsascala a year n half of that time. We came to malta after throwing a dart at a map and didnt really know much about it, We visited marsascala for a day loved it and stayed.

We have a 4 year old in marsascala primary no complaints atall with the school it also offers a very well priced after school club that better suits working parents as the school hours are short.No need to worry bout language issues in school there is lots of expat kids and english is used alongside maltease not pushed to the back. Its great for kids play parks, pools and swimming areas. Also a relaxed atmosphere if you fancy a drink or watch the football in the pub with kids something i wouldn't do back in scotland.(well i did but couldnt tell my wife)

As a young couple with children it offers the perfect balance. The only draw back is better paying work is in sliema. My wife works there its a bit of a trek by bus especially in morning traffic.

yeah it can be a trek but you get used to it - i live in marsascala too now  in between st thomas bay an the main town  and it takes about an hour and a half in the morning to sliema subject to traffic

Getting excited now. Packing up and selling all my furniture etc is making it feel very close :)

hi all!! can't believe this post was over a year ago but we are finally here in Marsaskala! i was googling kindergartens in the area which lead me to my own post  :joking:  that leads me on to my question.. does marsaskala primary have a kindergarten too as im confused with what i can see online. hopefully someone can help. many thanks, Amanda

Hi Amanda, yes they do, Noah starts at the beginning of Feb. He turns 3 at the end of January, children start either the October or Febuary after their third birthday.