Moving to Melbourne January 2011

My name is Morgan Bengtson. I'm a 23 year old female born and raised in the United States. My boyfriend and I are VERY interested in moving to Melbourne in January 2011. We have heard how nice the people are (natives and immigrants) and that there are multiple opportunities for employment. We have been doing as much research as we can but we're still questioning what areas to look at for living. I have my degree in Elementary education but I'm looking for employment outside the education field. If anyone has any feed back on living, employment or just anything you would like to share I open to any topic. Thank you for your time; looking forward to meeting the people of Australia.

Welcome to Expat-blog,mjbengtson :)

The Life in Australia guide might be useful, you should view the articles it contains.

Hope that members soon reply back and inform you about lifestyle in Australia.

Regards,
Sheetul

Hi, You should visit the link she posted above as well as the link for the Australian Department of Immigration--http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration

Keep in mind that a Tourist Visa does not allow you to work or permanently stay in Australia and the Customs police at the airport will send you back to America and possibly ban you from further entry into Australia if they think you are working or permanently staying while on a Tourist Visa.

With that said, look on the Australian Immigration website for a visa that you qualify for (that allows you to work) and apply for it. 

You need a working visa before you can start looking for a job or a place to live in Australia.  Since you can't work in Australia without the correct visa, you should start with the visa application first.

I hope some of this helps!

Hi my name is Carl me and the family hope to be there by the end of Jan. We are moving from Yorkshire England. My wife has a position thats starts in Feb. Thats if we get the visa by then. We have been looking at propertys in the Claton area and west of that area towards the coast. Also there looks to be a nice place just down the coast but with great transport links in to Melbouren called Mordilac This may not be spelt correct im a chippy not an English teacher well good luke and hope everthing goes to plan.;)

Hey mjbengtson. If you want a suburb to stay thats in a central location, close to the city and has a great vibe about it here are some places to look at; Fitzroy, Brunswick, Carlton, Abbostford, Collingwood, Richmond, St.Kilda, Elwood, South Yarra, Prahran, Windsor. Most prices are reasonable in those areas with all amenities within walking distance. Melbourne has a decent public transport system so it should be easy to nevigate your way around and most people will help you out if youre lost. The two main websites to find houses are; realestate.com.au and domain.com.au. If youre looking for a job these websites should help you out; seek.com.au - mycareer.com.au - careerone.com.au - jobsjobsjobs.com.au - jobsearch.gov.au.