Good suburbs to live in melbourne

Hi all
we are a couple who is moving to melbourne early next year and are looking for good suburbs to live in the west. We are looking at areas in new subdivisions in derrimut or caroline springs. Is living in the west all that bad people make it out to be... any advise if i chose to live in the west like which suburbs i should be avoiding? Really desperate thanks.

Hi sharmaine79 and welcome to Expat.com!

Harmonie.:)

hi harmonie how r u?
do u know much about melbourne?

I'm fine than you.:)

Have you gone through the articles in our participative guide life?

This may help,
Harmonie.

Hi Sharmaine,

I was born and lived in Melbourne for 27 years and the Western suburbs has always been the rough side of town.  Its been a while since I have been back to Melbourne but I remember the suburb of Sunshine was a bad neighbourhood.  Williamstown is a nice suburb.

I think Caroline Springs was one of those suburbs that sprung up out of nowhere,  you know when the whole suburb was built by the same architect so each property looks the same,  they had 5 different house plans and sold them from the showroom floor. Check it out though but I remember that name from around 10 years ago. 

The best area in Melbourne is the South Eastern suburbs like Brighton or Toorak but they'll be very expensive. 

Good Luck

Hi milan
thanks for the reply
yeh i realise all these new suburbs are being formed due to migration...the eastern areas r too expensive for my liking as we are looking for 4 bedroom houses so basically we are needing space...thank u once again

Hi Sharmaine,
I am a melbournian and will be relocating to Indonesia late Dec / early January 2012. 

I will be renting my house out.
Are you still looking????

We live in Beaumaris (Bayside).
Please contact me if you would like more information. We are open to the date that the house is available.

Regards
Kat

Hi Sharmaine
I've lived in Melb for 11 years - always in the east or inner city. Plenty of friends of mine have lived in various western suburbs with little issue, though they do not have kids.

That being said, some areas are not as kid-friendly as others.

Places like Caroline Springs etc, whilst they seem a bit lacking in character, are probably good for families in that they are purpose built. Look at Point Cook as well.
Spotswood, Williamstown, parts of Altona are OK too. Apparently West Footscray is good.
The east and bayside areas are lovely, yes, but expensive. In fact, Melbourne is very expensive anywhere you go!

Good luck!

Hi Sharmaine, I live in the west, past Footscray and Altona. I like Werribee and Hoppers Crossing. Pt. Cook is very popular. Email me for more details.

Hi, I m George here. Got my PR last year 1st Sep 2011.

I plan to settle this year May 2012.

I m looking for place to stay in Melbourne. Anyhow for long term i still prefer suburbs due to the house is relatively cheaper is cheaper i suppose..

I plan to come alone first then after everything settle i will bring my family (wife and 2 children 16 and 14 years old)

Anybody would like to suggest which suburbs to stay..My current job is agricultural consultant and i would like to go to suburbs with agriculture particularly poultry farming.

You can reply here or to my email at [email protected]

thanks
regards,
George

Hi George,

Farms are usually outside the city. Veg farms are in Werribee south.

hey all

hi, Teh tarik & Mak Ali,

thanks for your reply!

Do you have any idea of where the poultry farms?

thanks