Life in Saudi

Hi,
We are considering moving to Saudi Arabia as my husband has got a really good offer in Refinery... I will be obliged if i get to know the facts about life in Saudi from you.
I am a working woman and we have a daughter. Life in India is good. I have heard stories about medical examinations going wrong and people are sent back.
Also, the dress code and restrictions sound exaggerated. Can you pls elaborate..

Saudi Arabia is no place for a foreign woman with a child. It is dangerous and a horrible place to live.
My advice, send your husband alone.

Seattle75 wrote:

Saudi Arabia is no place for a foreign woman with a child. It is dangerous and a horrible place to live.

Unfortunately you are absolutely wrong.

Saudi Arabia is well-developing country and it has its own culture and structure, here more than 10 million foreign people living and interacting safely, there are thousands of families with their children, hundreds of International schools,

For 9 years here in Saudi Arabia I feel it's a very good country for saving money and building future, and the Saudi culture is not as bad as you describe.

Kindly accept my regards,

Ahmed

Since this is seattle75 2nd consecutive post harping the same tune of lack of safety without any proof, rhyme or reason - going to conclude that he/she/it is sour due to never getting the opportunity to live in this country, and now is obnoxiously trying to scare everyone else off.

In all this, the brazillian 'expert' hasn't run to the posts to remind Seattle75 of the rules he/she/it must be on-topic, kind and  helpful to the readers.

The only way medical examinations can go wrong is if there is a disease present, God forbid. You can search further via embassy about the medical report.  The dress code is in direct correlation to proper islamic dress.

s.h.b wrote:

Hi,
We are considering moving to Saudi Arabia as my husband has got a really good offer in Refinery... I will be obliged if i get to know the facts about life in Saudi from you.
I am a working woman and we have a daughter. Life in India is good. I have heard stories about medical examinations going wrong and people are sent back.
Also, the dress code and restrictions sound exaggerated. Can you pls elaborate..

Seattle75 wrote:

Would you care to elaborate as to why you think as you do.

Believe me life in Saudi is much better than anywhere in India. You might miss Mumbai for some things or the other but on various accounts this place is much better.
Regarding medical examination, you have to get it done through GAMCA approved lab and if something is wrong you don't need to come to Saudi as they will tell you then and there only and after that only your visa will be stamped on the passport. And after reaching here medical is done for issuing Resident permit.
Regarding dress code, that's what the country's law demands and fortunately and unfortunately everyone has to abide by that.
The other thing is you won't be allowed to work, cuz you will be mostly be on dependent status of your husband.

Good luck !

PS- this is not a bad country as media portrays and outer world perceives !! Definitely everyone faces some teething problems at the start. Once u get used to the systems and customs, everything seems to be OK.

Hi.
I am thankful for all the posts. Certainly helpful . I know its going to be a new experience and it will be a mixed one! 
I am concerned as my daughter is just 9 and is used to a very free environment. Also, I love my work! Sending him alone is not the option for us..
I guess, we'll stay confused !
Thanks again.,.

Everyone stays confused, till they actually land in sand :)

I would think twice before moving to Wahabi-Saudi.

think twice about  becoming a puppet to the media.

XB23 wrote:

XB23 wrote:

Could you please give me reasons why you should think twice ? what is the meaning of Wahabi-Saudi  and what it the relation between this and Expat life in Saudi Arabia ?

Best Regards,

Ahmed

rareshine wrote:

XB23 wrote:

That's the kind of response I would expect from none other than the blind followers of Muhammed Ibn Al Wahhab. Glad I never have to stay long in the country whenever I visit. I usually can't wait to leave.

25january wrote:
XB23 wrote:

Could you please give me reasons why you should think twice ? what is the meaning of Wahabi-Saudi  and what it the relation between this and Expat life in Saudi Arabia ?

Best Regards,

Ahmed

I can't give you reasons on here, although I would love to, as there are plenty, but this site doesn't allow political/religious talks, so my comments would be removed!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Saudi's pay them to ban me too!

XB23 wrote:
25january wrote:
XB23 wrote:

Best Regards,

Ahmed

I can't give you reasons on here, although I would love to, as there are plenty, but this site doesn't allow political/religious talks, so my comments would be removed!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Saudi's pay them to ban me too!

I will give you plenty of reasons why I love to work in Saudi and rejecting any offer comes from any other Gulf Country.

1-The Cost of living here is pretty cheap in comparison with all Gulf countries.
2- Salaries range in comparison with cost of living resulting in high rates of annual saving.
3- Saudi since 10 year so far interfering a construction storm raises the value of the projects and the work need to be performed which opens a lot of opportunities to the Saudis and the Expats.
4- For Families, in Saudi they can have special privacy in public places, may this kind of privacy annoying some of the Expats, but it's the country's culture, like in The U.S.A they allowing men to marriage each other, this is also the U.S.A culture and we should respect.
5- The community is safe, here in Khobar, I go to the Corniche daily, I see a lot of ladies and girls walking without disturbance, yes they are wearing "Abbaya" but this also is part of the country's culture.
6- Here if you respect the law, nobody can touch you, and if you have rights you can take them by legal channels.
7- Saudi Arabia as a country with the upcoming years shall be the first destination for Expats for working. 

Finally I am considering that Saudi's shall pay to pan you is a joke :D , come on man we are not in movie, Trust me Saudi's do not have time for such funny actions.

May ALLA bless you and your family

Best Regards,

Ahmed

Finally I am considering that Saudi's shall pay to pan you is a joke :D , come on man we are not in movie, Trust me Saudi's do not have time for such funny actions.

Best Regards,

Ahmed

Yes you're right. They don't have time to pay to get comments removed online. As they have more important things to do with their time, such as cutting heads, hands, attacking Shi'as, Sufi's, ensuring women can't drive, making sure people dress in a way they like, and generally making life hell for people. Then they come to London, to drink, party, and engage in homosexual activities. So you're right. They don't have the time. They are too busy being up to no good!

I will give you plenty of reasons why I love to work in Saudi and rejecting any offer comes from any other Gulf Country.

1-The Cost of living here is pretty cheap in comparison with all Gulf countries.
2- Salaries range in comparison with cost of living resulting in high rates of annual saving.
3- Saudi since 10 year so far interfering a construction storm raises the value of the projects and the work need to be performed which opens a lot of opportunities to the Saudis and the Expats.
4- For Families, in Saudi they can have special privacy in public places, may this kind of privacy annoying some of the Expats, but it's the country's culture, like in The U.S.A they allowing men to marriage each other, this is also the U.S.A culture and we should respect.
5- The community is safe, here in Khobar, I go to the Corniche daily, I see a lot of ladies and girls walking without disturbance, yes they are wearing "Abbaya" but this also is part of the country's culture.
6- Here if you respect the law, nobody can touch you, and if you have rights you can take them by legal channels.
7- Saudi Arabia as a country with the upcoming years shall be the first destination for Expats for working.

I have friends working there. Good money, low cost of living, and all that, is useless without freedom & respect. Quality of life is all about the things you can do and can't do, and how you're treated. That is why they want to move to countries like US, Canada or Europe. Maybe things are good for the White-Expats, but it's very different for Asians & Blacks.

well i'll talk about jeddah cause that is where i lived and visit yearly i'll only say the facts i remeber now and can answer any question later
- there are a huge Indian community in here my next door neighbor are Indians  so it will be easier for you  to adapt at the beginning
- there are also so many international schools where English is the first spoken language and where the majority of teachers are in fact  Indianans
- about the dress code
you can show your hair in jeddah it's no big deal
- abaya is kinda like a  loose maxi dress you can google it  . it used to be only black but now there are many different colors and patterns and all women wear it outside
- young girls don't have to wear it they can wear whatever they want
-   where ever you work you will properly not wear it for example nurses and doctors don't wear it in the hospital but they wear normal white uniforms also in schools if you are a teacher in girls school you can wear whatever you want inside the school

- life is very cheap there are no taxes you can save lots and lots of money  and enjoy shopping in the amazing malls
- there are no pubs here and alcohol consuming is not allowed but there are cafes , many awesome theme parks ,aquarium , bowling halls , gyms with special days for ladies , swimming pools , sporting clubs  and lots of family friendly places
- restaurants have 2 sections one for men only and the other for families and ladies so you can absolutely go out with your fiends have nice time with being sure that you're safe
- you can go out alone or with other women or with your husband  or brother or a family member but not with a strange man alone that's there culture though i don't agree with it but it's no problem for me cause i'm already engaged.

- internet is pretty fast and cheap

that's what i remember now and i'm happy to answer any further questions
best of luck

XB23 wrote:
rareshine wrote:

XB23 wrote:

That's the kind of response I would expect from none other than the blind followers of Muhammed Ibn Al Wahhab. Glad I never have to stay long in the country whenever I visit. I usually can't wait to leave.

Hey TWAT!

don't be a hypocrite! In one post you disrespecting the PROPHET! and in another you are claiming you have your reasons for not saying.

My wife is a medical doctor, she got an offer to work in one of the Hospital in Saudi. Can I get job too if I should follow her?

XB23 wrote:

Best Regards,

Ahmed

Yes you're right. They don't have time to pay to get comments removed online. As they have more important things to do with their time, such as cutting heads, hands, attacking Shi'as, Sufi's, ensuring women can't drive, making sure people dress in a way they like, and generally making life hell for people. Then they come to London, to drink, party, and engage in homosexual activities. So you're right. They don't have the time. They are too busy being up to no good!

Any community contain good and Bad people, this is not a reason my friend, I can offer thousands of bad examples about your original country and you can do the same.

In general people are happy of being working and living in Saudi Arabia.. that's the conclusion

I was born and raised in KSA, life is safe here, nobody will attack you or your family based on religious/cultural motives, there are fanatics everywhere, even in the most advanced countries, but the media amplifies this nonsense over and over again.

One thing to mention though, this country is unbelievably boring,  so if you are going to Khobar/Dammam, or Jeddah, then the beach will become your only friend there, if you go to Riyadh, then you probably are going be lonely.

If the company your husband is joining is a reputed company, I assume it is since it is a refinery-related firm, then you should not be intimidated by the possibilities of unfair employment procedures (it does happen here unfortunately), other than that, enjoy your tax-free income, and the friendly Arab society.

All the best.