What's in like living in Msida?

I'll be working at the University of Malta from November and thought Msida looked close enough for walking.
The traffic puts me off living further away, but maybe walking in Msida would be crazy with speeding cars everywhere. What's it like living there ? Any obvious streets/areas to avoid?
- I'd be renting and have learned a lot from reading these blogs.
The noise problem sounds like it could be the biggest problem and finding a place that's got reasonable heating for the winter.
Any tips very much appreciated.
thanks
Jeannie

I'd suggest you look at neighbouring Ta'Xbiex instead. It's a much quieter and nicer area. Check for walking distance to the university.

I am staying near skatepark.
There are no noise issues and it's quite an urban area with some new buildings.

A big plus is the skatepark since you get access to most of the bus lines of the island.
1 big pharmacy with a doctor is located nearby and there are 2 big supermarkets and many smaller to cover any daily shopping needs.

Feel free to ask for more details.

How long roughly would it take walking to Sliema or Valletta from Msida?

Is rent that much lower than sliema?

JohnnyIreland wrote:

about 30-40 mins depending on where your going

JohnnyIreland wrote:

To Valetta I haven't tried to go on foot.

To Sliema (medasia side) is roughly 15 minutes walking.

Once I have returned from Paceville though! Through shortcuts, I would say it's around 3 klm, around 30-35  minutes of fast walking.

Rent is way much better in Msida/Gzira in comparison to Sliema.

Thank you!
It's great to get first hand experience from people who are there.

Best Wishes
Jeannie

As for the walking time: I've walked all the way from Sliema (the Tigne Point end) to Valletta, and it took me about one and a half hours - Msida would be in the middle, so about 45 min each direction. I walked along the seaside however, which means walking out all the creeks... I'd say if you take the "inland" streets and roads, walking from Msida to Gzira will take you around 15-20 min, and to Sliema another 5-10 minutes (always depending on where your start and finish point is) and from Msida to Valletta (through Pieta) about 15-20 min. I walked the route in February, though. With the heat in summer you'll most definitely be slower.