Living with a new born in Muscat - share your experience!

Hi,
We are a family from Holland. Two girls and my husband.
We will move to Muscat next year. Currently I am pregnant will deliver the baby in Holland. And move to Oman when it is 4 months old.
I am wondering how doable it is to live in Oman with a new born.
Thinking about the heat, different types of diseases and bacteria then in Holland, vaccinations program's, formula, pediatrician etc.
Did someone had this experience? Any information is welcome!

Thanks

Hi Elisabeth42,

To first summarise, living in Oman would be an eye-opener of sorts - many pleasant, and some unpleasant.

Medical facilities are pretty basic and limited in the Sultanate. The state sponsors the entire immunisation course free of cost for the newborn until the child reaches 18-months.

Suggest you read through the numerous discussions that have already taken place on the same subject, in the forum, for gathering more information which you are seeking.

Thanks for your reply, I will search more topics for info 👍🏻

It might be hard for esp the first few months but you will adjust slowly to both atmospheric &social conditions in oman.
Considering the climate and topography of e land, conditions are extreme you will meet quite a few challenges but in order to survive in any given environment you have to make sure u adapt any forms of survival.
If you or any of your kids have sensitive skin.then they develop irritations esp during e summer.  incase, just make sure you stock lotions, creams n powder that help in such a situation.Oman water is hard and too concentrated. It might dry up your hands, crack your feet-so u will need e creams or lotions for that.

Another common problem is "Hair Fall'.due to e chemicals used to purify e water.  Some pple are lucky but the unlucky ones take e lead.so u mite need an antibreakage shampoo or hair oils n all.

The most common infections ave noticed here are flu&colds esp at season change n may be due to Acs n fans

Currently, there is an outbreak of chicken pox among kids.this is an airborne disease you cant 100% avoid. But calamine creams n vitamins are available

Worry not,challenges meet us wherever we go but nothing can hold you back.

Hello Everyone,

Please guide me.

Which area is better for living alkhuwair, azaiba, ghala and ghubra?? My husband has been reached to Muscat and recently busy in search for flat for us. As I will also join him later. First on visit visa and after then on family visa accordingly. We are searching for 1 or 2 BHK.

Thanks & Regards,
Kavita

kavitaanjaria wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Please guide me.

Which area is better for living alkhuwair, azaiba, ghala and ghubra?? My husband has been reached to Muscat and recently busy in search for flat for us. As I will also join him later. First on visit visa and after then on family visa accordingly. We are searching for 1 or 2 BHK.

Thanks & Regards,
Kavita

Hi kavitaanjaria,

The place of residence would have to be dependent on your husband's place of work.

Of the places which you have mentioned, Al Khuwair would have the maximum numbers of Indian expatriates, compared to the rest.