Embassy functions - what's the deal here?

I was told to register with my Embassy when I got here and as and when they hold functions or there was anything of interest going on, they would let me know / invite me.  Well, I am still waiting....  What's the deal with the Embassy functions anyway!  If I continue waiting for the British Embassy, I will be drawing my pension!  Anyone got any wise tips for me?

Hi Max,

Unfortunately I can't help you with your dilemma.  Hopefully there is another Brit (maybe Dave) on the Forum that can share some good advice.

A few of us just attend a US Embassy meeting last week to get the scoop on very much the same topic.  They promised to revitalize the program and host more events.  We are hopeful!

Max,

Just been doing the same thing, unfortunately the British Embassy no longer operate a warden service and it was these people who would let you know about functions, of course the Australian Embassy still do this!

The registration is done online using Locate, but that is as far as it goes.

The advice I was given was to join the various societies that exist in Riyadh who hold there meetings in the Embassy and that is a good way to network and then get the invites. For me that includes the Caledonian Society and RGBB.

It was much easier when I was out here last time to get invites :D

Allie would love to comment here :P

When the girls were attending the American and British schools, respectively we usually had many an invite to parties at both Embassies. We were also fortunate to get invites to other Embassies since the children of Ambassadors were classmates of ours.

Guess we need to have more kids to get invited, now?

The grandkids attend Manarat Int School and their friends are mostly North Arab, African, Asian and other oriental migrants to North America, Britain and Europe.

CAF wrote:

Hi Max,

Unfortunately I can't help you with your dilemma.  Hopefully there is another Brit (maybe Dave) on the Forum that can share some good advice.

A few of us just attend a US Embassy meeting last week to get the scoop on very much the same topic.  They promised to revitalize the program and host more events.  We are hopeful!

Thanks CAF, it would also appear the 'purse strings' are getting significantly tighter for the Brits - maybe one of the things to go in the new cuts by Cameron!:(

MaserMan wrote:

Max,

Just been doing the same thing, unfortunately the British Embassy no longer operate a warden service and it was these people who would let you know about functions, of course the Australian Embassy still do this!

The registration is done online using Locate, but that is as far as it goes.

The advice I was given was to join the various societies that exist in Riyadh who hold there meetings in the Embassy and that is a good way to network and then get the invites. For me that includes the Caledonian Society and RGBB.

It was much easier when I was out here last time to get invites :D

Hey mm2 - I hear you on this, I also went through the whole Locate stuff and then got spammed out with confirmation e-mails from them so ended up having to block them for a while til they got things sorted:/

Also, apparently there has been a change in Ambassador here and until Mr New Man is in post - nothing will happen :rolleyes:

So, would appear if any Brits want entertaining which can involve a new frock (no mm1 - no mankini's) and just in case we have any gender sensitives on here, yes - I am only refering to the women when I mention frock - of course if you are Scottish, then a kilt is in order!  Anyway, looks like we either continue mingling and gate crashing all the other Embassy do's or we have a St George night of our own!  Or, (my maiden name was McCalla-Kay - so I could team up with the Scots and we could have a Burns Night Ball!!:cool:

Thanks for the heads-up on this.  If any of you from other Countries take pity on me (& Ian) you can always invite us to YOUR Embassy do's!! :sosad:

The Warden system within the Brit Embassy was very active and alive during the two Gulf Wars. I was trapped in Bahrain during the first one for 6 months and they took care of the Sri Lankan expats there and sure provided a great service keeping us fully informed of whats happening and what to do and what not, and where not to.

That was the most frightening six months of my life!

musicman wrote:

The Warden system within the Brit Embassy was very active and alive during the two Gulf Wars. I was trapped in Bahrain during the first one for 6 months and they took care of the Sri Lankan expats there and sure provided a great service keeping us fully informed of whats happening and what to do and what not, and where not to.

That was the most frightening six months of my life!

I remember travelling quite a bit during the Gulf War (certainly the start of it) as a precaution I used my parantage to get a Jamaican passport as I didn't want to travel anywhere on a British one during that time - it was great - no-one was travelling hardly anywhere - I was able to get some great upgrades on the flights. 

I will enquiry to see if the Warden system will come back with the new Ambassador or not?  Thanks for this Mx

I think the Warden System is very necessary for every single Embassy in the ME to institute as a means of protecting and providing info to its citizens. I have suggested it to the Sri Lankan Embassy for the past 25 years and they simply wont listen to me....

D'ya know I've been here for a couple of years, got invited to embassy do's once or twice but not for me thanks. Over priced and not as good as a weekend in Bahrain/Abu Dhabi/Dubai to name some preferred options, suppose it depends on what you want or who you want to meet yea?

DesertDog wrote:

D'ya know I've been here for a couple of years, got invited to embassy do's once or twice but not for me thanks. Over priced and not as good as a weekend in Bahrain/Abu Dhabi/Dubai to name some preferred options, suppose it depends on what you want or who you want to meet yea?

Hi DD, fair point and absolutely agree with you on the range of really interesting alternatives.  I just found it strange that the Brit Embassy wasn't actively seeking to interact and inform their citizens over here.  In South Africa and in Nigeria the British Consultates / Embassy's there were really good for things like that and played a key role in networking and security issues.  The events are usually an additional way of plugging people together and through discussion can save a lot of expense and grieve in many day-to-day issues.

Judging by the information I am receiving, I will be giving this up and relying on the good old 'people' network for anything we may need to know.

Thanks again and enjoy your hols.  Max

It's only my view gowiththeflow - many attend the embassy do's and have a great time, I think the aussie embassy is the most popular and least formal, if you get the chance - take it and go then you can tell us all about it yea :)

Canadian embassy is very active and host a load of parties...most recent being a jamaican themed rasta night couldnt make it though coz i decided to head to dubai for a week....

Would suggest getting in contact with the canadian embassy and join their mailing list...

british embassy has gone quiet recently so dont expect much from them

ziad08 wrote:

Canadian embassy is very active and host a load of parties...most recent being a jamaican themed rasta night couldnt make it though coz i decided to head to dubai for a week....

Would suggest getting in contact with the canadian embassy and join their mailing list...

british embassy has gone quiet recently so dont expect much from them

Hey Zaid08 - Jamaican Rasta night eh, hmmm, that would have been very interesting for me (being of Jamaican parentage) - shame I missed it!  Can't find any Jamaican's here!  Thanks for the tips.

Shame I got all my hair cut off, could have gone for a dreadlock look :D