Where is best Mexican ocean commnunty for ex pats?

Maybe planning a move to Mexico from Canada at least for 5 months a year. Need to know cheap, safe ocean community . Are there others out there who could help? We were thinking of Cabos area, but I know this is in fact an expensive place to live. What other places are available where we would feel safe, be by the ocean and not go broke with buying basic living needs. Gringo! Roberto

Why don't you get on the Mexico Forum.

As Sue says, you're likely to get better recommendations on the Mexico forum. I looked into Mexico before going to Philippines and again before Ecuador, but I wasn't looking at beach communities (I wanted cooler weather, so Oaxaca and Xalapa were high on my list).

I had heard good things about Matzatlan, but that was before the narco-violence got so bad.

Rolllingstone wrote:

Maybe planning a move to Mexico from Canada at least for 5 months a year. Need to know cheap, safe ocean community . Are there others out there who could help? We were thinking of Cabos area, but I know this is in fact an expensive place to live. What other places are available where we would feel safe, be by the ocean and not go broke with buying basic living needs. Gringo! Roberto

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a Rolling Stone?

Very difficult to put cheap, safe shoreline community in Mexico in the same sentence.
Good Luck

Hi Rolllingstone,

Your topic is now on the Mexico forum for more visibility and interaction with the members.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi Rollingstone,
My husband and I have been evaluating the same question for a couple of years now. We have narrowed it down to Mazatlan, Sayulita, and Puerto Vallarta. This winter we will spend 3 months in Mazatlan and 3 months in Sayulita to try to make our decision.
I write a blog about this topic. You can read it at HealthyLivingandTravelinginMexico.blogspot.com or under blogs on this Expat.com. My book on the subject is available on Amazon.com: Healthy Living and Traveling in Mexico.
Good luck and have fun with your explorations. That is half the fun!
Terry

The number of expats is proportional to the number of condos.

We are also looking for the ideal beach community and are planning our first trip to Mazatlan this winter. Can hardly wait!!
There is a small community on Stone Island a peninsula off Mazatlan which is supposed to be amazing. Would love to hear from anyone experienced with this area
happy sun seeker
Anne

You might get better visibility and feedback if you posted on the Mexico Forum

I would give a serious look at 2 different communities, both on the Pacific coast... San Blas, Nayarit (be prepared to endure bugs) a wonderful little (10,000-12,000) fishing community with a strong expat community, plus if you love to surf it's awesome...check out visitsanblas.com;    Also, in Jalisco, check out Melaque, same reasons except not a surfing area... best of luck and blessings on ya <><

I don't want this to be taken as mean spirited or judgmental as it is not intended to be.......I just would like very much  to understand this.  I have always had a problem and much difficulty understanding why one moves to a foreign country and then seeks out an expat environment? 
I would welcome a response.  I just don't get it.  Thank you for helping me to figure this out.

anne stromberg wrote:

I don't want this to be taken as mean spirited or judgmental as it is not intended to be.......I just would like very much  to understand this.  I have always had a problem and much difficulty understanding why one moves to a foreign country and then seeks out an expat environment? 
I would welcome a response.  I just don't get it.  Thank you for helping me to figure this out.

Many are economic refugees, looking for a cheaper place to live where it does not snow.
They have no interest in giving up their culture, want to be with people who are doing the same.
The older they are the less likely they are to learn a new language beyond survival vocabulary.

My favorite on the Pacific is Huatulco, and on the Caribbean side that would be Tulum.

Mrjfortin wrote:

My favorite on the Pacific is Huatulco, and on the Caribbean side that would be Tulum.

Huatulco looks like a neat little town.  How hot does it get in summer?  Has an influx of Americans raised prices and rents beyond the reach of economic refugees?

How about Tulum?  1982 was the last time I was there and I see there has been explosive development all along the coast from Cancun down to Tulum.

I prefer Huatulco to Tulum. Yes eventually development will trickle down to Tulum, But there are still some good deal to be had. Huatulco on the other hand is mainly a protected park with a limit and control on building.
Both are very nice even in the summer because of the sea breeze. they both average 28 to 32 but with the sea breeze it is quite comfortable. At least it is My opinion. If they had a better infrastructure for boats, that is where I would be instead of Guatemala ( I am a sailor, it cuts down on the rent  :)  )

After checking out various coastal locations, I settled on Mazatlán.  I've lived here for four years, and am in Centro.  If you want touristy, head to the Gold Zone.  Weather-wise, it is on the border of the mountains/desert and the jungle, which begins southward, so it gets hot a month later than say, Puerto Vallarta.  During the hot summer months, I travel the interior highlands by RV.  There is a sizeable Gringo presence, which, during the tourist season, can reach 10,000, 

As far as the monetary aspects go, my fixed costs are about $450US per month.  I have a spacious unfurnished 2 bedroom apartment 3 blocks from the ocean, which runs $250,  The remainder is composed of the normal utilities plus satellite TV, internet, and off street parking, If I don't go overboard on entertainment, buy expensive imported items, shop at the local markets, and quit buying computer stuff, I can live quite well on an additional $400 per month.

Wow that is awesome information about Mazatlan.  I would be most interested in hearing more since you have lived there 4 years.  We are on a modest budget and live in a very beautiful but VERY expensive city.  We would love to find a place to come for a good part of the year and travel back to Vancouver for a few months
Is the Centro area the one with the very old buildings that is being reburbished?  Please feel free to contact me directly on my email if you have other information to share.
xxx
Thanks to everyone for valuable input on other beach towns
Anne

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Fugawibill wrote:

After checking out various coastal locations, I settled on Mazatlán.  I've lived here for four years, and am in Centro.  If you want touristy, head to the Gold Zone.  Weather-wise, it is on the border of the mountains/desert and the jungle, which begins southward, so it gets hot a month later than say, Puerto Vallarta.  During the hot summer months, I travel the interior highlands by RV.  There is a sizeable Gringo presence, which, during the tourist season, can reach 10,000, 

As far as the monetary aspects go, my fixed costs are about $450US per month.  I have a spacious unfurnished 2 bedroom apartment 3 blocks from the ocean, which runs $250,  The remainder is composed of the normal utilities plus satellite TV, internet, and off street parking, If I don't go overboard on entertainment, buy expensive imported items, shop at the local markets, and quit buying computer stuff, I can live quite well on an additional $400 per month.

That sounds too good to be true, but I'll take your word for it.

Last time I was in Mazatlan about 8 years ago, the cheapest place I could find was $350.00 with in 10 minutes walking distance to the beach. I checked the RV pad rental, and there was nothing under $600.00 a month ocean side.$250.00 for food might be achievable if cooking at home, or eating out at a local restaurant, I.E. burrito, enchilada, tacos etc......
If I was living in Mazatlan, I am fairly sure I would need a minimum of $1000.00 a month to be just comfortable, $1500.00 to be living fairly good but no extravagance. Is it possible to live there for around $750.00 a month ? Sure, but that would be living like a local, lots of rice and beans and tacos, no beer, no cable, no A/C (power can be expensive) and very limited internet.
Locals live on the cheap, but they do not have the taste and habits that we have. A TV last them at least 15 years, a car last them 20 years etc....If you can live like they do, sure $750.00 and less could do it. But remember, that they do not have to get on the plane to visit their relative. You need to show an income of at least $1500.00 to have a retiree visa, otherwise you have to exit the country every 6 months. So in My humble opinion $1500.00 a month would be the absolute minimum for Me.
On the plus side in Mazatlan you can go to a very high standard Opera, very good theater play for less then $10.00
Taxi average $3 to $6, bus is about 0.10 cents beer at an OXO about 0.75 cents etc.....

Alabama and mississippi way cheaper than up north both with beautiful beaches,well Alabama anyways.no snow.problem solved.Instead of moving to SMA I would just move to a hispanic area in my hometown.and i would have running water every day

Guess what stinky, they do have running water, and yes their car runs on gas also, On the other hand, when they get sick they do not have to mortgage theirs houses, Now tell Me who lives in a retarded world ? As usual rednecks never fails to make idiots of themselves.

Mjfortin,there is no need to be rude.i take it health insurance in Canada is expensive.i had a three hour root canal yesterday.Should have taken half that time but the novelas were on tv.$2500 I cant complain.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Mjfortin,there is no need to be rude.i take it health insurance in Canada is expensive.i had a three hour root canal yesterday.Should have taken half that time but the novelas were on tv.$2500 I cant complain.

That's pesos, I'm sure.

I had a root canal for 1000MXN plus 1000MXN for the crown 2 years ago.

Yes,thats pesos.The price includes a crown.Need to go back next Monday for a fitting.Three trips in total I think

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Yes,thats pesos.The price includes a crown.Need to go back next Monday for a fitting.Three trips in total I think

Prices for dental care still reasonable, then.

Yes sir,I paid that just for a cleaning the week before I moved down here.Im learning the ropes slowly but surely,staying away from the oxxo,buying Mexican candy bars instead of snickers.Hard to knock a bubu lubu now.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Yes sir,I paid that just for a cleaning the week before I moved down here.Im learning the ropes slowly but surely,staying away from the oxxo,buying Mexican candy bars instead of snickers.Hard to knock a bubu lubu now.

Bubu Lubu will rot them out quick.

Thats true,but one thing I have noticed is that Mexicans dont seem to go in for sugar free anything.I have to walk 3 blocks to get a diet coke

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Thats true,but one thing I have noticed is that Mexicans dont seem to go in for sugar free anything.I have to walk 3 blocks to get a diet coke

Oh no.  Have you tried desserts like Chongos Zamoranos or Pastel de Tres Leches?
You wouldn't believe anything could be that sweet.

Yes,i beg your pardon,I have tried de tres leches,or the wet cake as I call it.absolutely delicious,my favorite by far.Fruit is the thing here in Veracruz,piña,coco,mango etc.its so plentyfull its basically free

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Yes,i beg your pardon,I have tried de tres leches,or the wet cake as I call it.absolutely delicious,my favorite by far.Fruit is the thing here in Veracruz,piña,coco,mango etc.its so plentyfull its basically free

Pastel de Tres Leches is a classic.

That's pretty much true everywhere.  Where I go for breakfast frequently, it starts with a plate of fresh cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple and papaya.

There's a cart on one corner that has been there for 55 years ans sells fresh fruit chunked to order that includes cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, papaya, mango, cucumber, coconut, jicama with lemon juice, salt and chile.  An overflowing 1 liter container is 35 pesos and does me for 4 nice portions.  The fresh fruit is one of the real beauties of living in mexico.

I have no idea what fruit costs in the US now but everything but apples imported from Washington seems quite reasonable.  Enjoy!

Campeche! very historic attractive cultures town reasonable rents $300 a month

Thank you , I will be checking these out :)

Great info!  Thanks everyone.  Even like the side convo about sweets.

THANKS FOR EXPRESSING THIS OPINION, WHICH I SHARE!

Skye

Yes Gudgrief ,

Tulum drove me crazy . It is very tourist dense commercial and the humidity is stunning, I live in Campeche which is humid, and I found this intolerable.

So rolling stone, surfrider and Magenta,
It looks like we strayed off of the original question. I guess I would like you to define cheap, and expat community . Are we talking quiet with an expat or two, dozens of expats or ?
Cheap means what ?

As far as beaches go the Campeche and quintana roo costal areas have many. Yucatan has a couple also like Progreso, In fact you could start above the Campeche state and just follow the coast down city by city.

Some of the cities I immediately think of are cities like Majahual quintana Roo, Sisal, and Chetumal.

I have seen both PV and Matzalan and don't consider either to be cheap, but that's Me. The PV beach area is very unimpressive, The gringo numbers were though. Matzalan has nice beaches , but is also tourist heavy. The problem I would have immediately with PV is  in a serious weather event it would be basically cut off, like Cabo was in the hurricane but even more so because there is a little single lane used as double road needed to get to the town inland.If there were a disaster, that would be it.

Hi Travellight,

Good question that I think many would answer differently.  In fact even my own answers have shifted and changed over the years.

As of today, I would like an area where I can live amongst the locals with some expats.  Not overly touristy.  Walkable, near nature.  Where I could get around without a car but have access to transportation.  I'm not interested in an expat enclave environment for myself.  I'd want to be able to live off of $1000-$1200/mo including rent, utilities, food, periodic health care, maybe a cat and just living.  I am fine living simply and in smaller spaces as long as they are relatively clean and I have access to fresh non pesticide foods (I'm not sure if the pesticide part is realistic), and decent/affordable medical care if I happen to need it. Due to some health issues I probably would hire someone to clean and maybe even pick up groceries for me from time to time, that is probably my main change from what I would have looked for 10 years ago.  My budget could be completely unrealistic, so let me know!

I'm not a partier.  I'd rather people watch in the morning than stay out late drinking.  I'm not overly concerned about noise as my memory of the dogs, roosters and firecrackers in Guatemala was that with some earplugs I was fine, and I lived in various areas of Guatemala for 5 months.  Regular big partying past 10:30 would get on my nerves though.  I'm honestly not even that committed to ocean areas, I love the mountains, but these days am wanting somewhere I can fly into Tijuana on a direct flight.  No 12 hour travel days to get to the US.  And those seem to mostly be near the water.

I have considered Rosarito and Ensenada near TJ but am just not drawn to them, though I have not visited them yet.  What you say about PV in a natural disaster emergency is something for me to think about.  My only concern about the Yucatan or nearby areas is the level of heat/humidity.  Not sure how different that is than the Pacific coast.  My plan to relocate is a 3-5 year plan so I am just now starting to think about visiting places, though I've thought about it for many years.  I live in San Diego so flying out of TJ is easy.  Based on my online research, mostly through this website, I'm thinking an area 30min-1hour from PV or, like you've suggested, Campeche, Yucatan etc.  I'm also fine being inland from PV.  So am quit open to suggestions.

I really appreciate your posts!  Thanks :)

You are welcome Magenta heart,

I think your budget is doable in many areas. The medical care is generally quite good here. That said , it sounds like you might want to check out areas like Playa near Tijuana, so you can easily cross into the U,S, and visit San Diego   Tijuana has been growing up you might say, and trying to find themselves. They are not the old Tijuana.

As for this area , it can get hot, and it is humid, but as I said Tulum is extremely humid and I couldn't tolerate it.
Here its hot during some months and not others, and there is a constant breeze. It's mostly calm and pleasant.I'm just fine here I don't even use AC as much as I did originally.
Transportation is very available and reasonable, housekeeping is reasonable, lots of things to see. I find most of what I want in easy walking distance and I have a wonderful walkway in the Malcone next to the bay.

You would find the food to be quite fresh and low in pesticides. The practices are safe enough to have eggs that can just sit on the regular shelf. Imagine trying to store a U.S egg on a shelf. In  Campeche state the governor has declared once a month open air organic markets. You may not be aware that much of the organics sold in the U.S. started here in Mexico. An added bonus , once I sort of detoxed from U.S food the bugs lost most of their interest in me, so my repelant use declined significantly. Oh yes I get a bite now and then , but not often.

So visit here and there, see what you think.

Wow! Travellight this is all amazing info!  So glad to hear my budget is within reason.  Campeche is officially on my list of places to look into.  I love what you say about organics and had no idea that the organics in the US started in Mexico.  So interesting about how you were able to detox from US foods and about the bugs.  You're description of Campeche fits so close to what I'm looking for.  Though, don't worry, I'll visit first :)

This conversation has really helped me think more deeply about what I want and why.  I got so excited about your description, especially about the food and your ability to detox that I realized that would actually be more important to me than proximity to the US.  So it's helping me prioritize my list.  I think one reason I'm not too keen on areas around TJ is it just feels too close to the US, and it's very city like.  Nothing against the US.  I just love many things about Mexico.  The food, the colors, the music, the language, the people.  I know it's not perfect and there are many issues, but there are many beautiful things too.  TJ would just not feel like I was leaving in some ways, maybe too familiar?  Though I do have a good dentist there.  It's only the health stuff that keeps me wanting easier US access, including flights into TJ.  So a balance.   Heading to bed now.   :sleep