Looking for a 2 months summer job internship in a hotel or hostel

Hi all,

I am Raphael, from Germany originally but generally living abroad, currently in Amsterdam.

I just arrived in Marrakech and am looking for a 2 months summer job internship in a hotel or hostel. After that I will need a short term flat and some hobbies and hope to find some inspiration here (:

Kind regards,

Raphael

RaphaelDemian wrote:

Hi all,

I am Raphael, from Germany originally but generally living abroad, currently in Amsterdam.

I just arrived in Marrakech and am looking for a 2 months summer job internship in a hotel or hostel. After that I will need a short term flat and some hobbies and hope to find some inspiration here (:

Kind regards,

Raphael

To work in Morocco you need to be certified by the Anapac, a quango acting for the government. It will only allow you to work if no Moroccan AT ALL can do the job you are proposing to do. This is because of the high unemployment in Morocco. I am waiting for a certification and it has taken a really long time already for my employer-to-be to get it.

So I'm afraid that your idea of a two-month job won't fly.

By the way, if you get caught working illegally, you would be liable to imprisonment. Don't even think about it. I've researched this, as I wondered about it. Just don't do it.

Hi Sven,

Thank you for your reply and the input.

I am aware of the working situation and that it will not be possible to get an actual salary. What I am looking for is more of a volunteering/ internship kind of arrangement. I want to gain some hospitality industry insight and am hoping to get accommodation in return.

Hi again Raphael

I do know that Morocco has a huge number of catering/tourism/hotel colleges and churns out qualified men and women by the 10s of 1000s every year. The tourism sector is important, so many people opt for this route. However, again, probably too many are qualified, yet unemployed, and many are forced to take unpaid jobs in hotels and restaurants where all they get is meals and, possibly, a few tips. I do not know of the policy for internships or unpaid work vis-a-vis the Anapec, although for you to be insured and registered, I think the Anapec would have to be informed, at least. However, please think of the moral dimension. Even if you were to be legally accepted, you would be depriving at least one poor, developing-world person of experience, food and probably some money. In addition, that person might just be offered a position if their unpaid work had been satisfactory.

Hi Raphael,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Marrakech forum for more visibility and interaction with the other members.

Thanks

Priscilla

Who cares about depriving someone. Everyone when they move abroad think only about themselves. When they move to his country, they don't think about how they can effect his work, or whatever impact on his life they may directly have by their choice of action (such as undercutting etc). So please don't think about the "moral dimension". It doesn't matter, and shouldn't matter. Do what you want. That's the reality of life in 2015.

XB23 wrote:

Who cares about depriving someone. Everyone when they move abroad think only about themselves. When they move to his country, they don't think about how they can effect his work, or whatever impact on his life they may directly have by their choice of action (such as undercutting etc). So please don't think about the "moral dimension". It doesn't matter, and shouldn't matter. Do what you want. That's the reality of life in 2015.

You seem to deplore what "they" do in his and presumably your country. Yet you advise him to do the same. That's pretty hypocritical.

Well, there is a difference between moving to a poor, developing country with little social security net and probably patchy healthcare to take a position that could have been filled by someone truly struggling and moving to a wealthy country to do a job that the locals don't want to do anyway, is there not?

Hi Priscilla,

Thank you for creating a new thread.

Sven, thank you for your input but I don't feel I am doing something wrong when going for a short term internship here.

Hi Raphael

That's fine. Please come back to the forum and let us know how you got on in getting a placement and what the procedure was. It would be especially interesting to know if you need to be authorised by the Anapec.

SvenStockholm wrote:
XB23 wrote:

You seem to deplore what "they" do in his and presumably your country. Yet you advise him to do the same. That's pretty hypocritical.

Well, there is a difference between moving to a poor, developing country with little social security net and probably patchy healthcare to take a position that could have been filled by someone truly struggling and moving to a wealthy country to do a job that the locals don't want to do anyway, is there not?

- It's not hypocritical. As I don't care what people do here. I blame the government for letting them in, not them for taking advantage of the fact any man and his dog can simply walk in.

- If it was the other way round - Germany was developing, and Morocco was developed - Do you think they will care if they deprive someone in Germany of an opportunity, if they intended to move there? No they won't. A good example is the fact a number of Moroccans travel to sub-saharan countries looking for any opportunities, regardless of the unemployment situation there.

- It's not that locals don't want to do it. But it's actually not worth doing it in many cases. Before my studies, I did such work, and after taxes, expenses, rent, bills, and everything, you're actually sometimes worse off than living on the dole, or maybe a few pounds to spare. But they are not. They live 10 to a room, little to no expenses, and send the cash back home, which is a lot to them, and goes further in their country than here. The difference in lifestyle & expectations is why they are willing to do it. What's the point working hard all day, everyday, and having nothing to show for it, when you can sit on your arse, and have some money at the end of the week. That's one of the main reasons some won't do it!