VEC,change of visa

I was speaking to a friend last night who has something I haven't heard of before. His VEC was due in January just after the new visa laws came in,he then found out for some reason his passport was forwarded to immigration. After not getting any answers as to why they were holding his passport, he as given back his passport with a 3 month single entry visa in it,instead of the usual VEC stamp for 3 months. When he asked why, immigration said he hasn't left Vietnam for over two years and he is required to leave after the 3 month single entry visa and come back in.

Has anyone heard of this being done before, because as far as I know, once they change your visa you can't change it back. He will do a visa run at the end of the 3 month single, but will he have problems getting the 3 month VEC stamp again at the border,he said he will go through Moc Bai.I'm stumped and couldn't give him any advice as to this matter.

As per rules, I don't think he can reinstate his VEC after this 3 months visa period.
You know well that how these stupid staff work by ignoring rules and law  :)

From what I can tell, he said they held his passport, it was them who put the single entry visa. His next VEC stamp was not due until April this year,yet instead of putting another stamp for 3 months they put a single entry visa.

Does anyone know someone who can advise as to how this works.

I'm pretty sure Budman's been in Vietnam since Can Tho didn't have chalk lines and got his VEC renewed sometime in January without a problem.

Is your friend married? Seems they want marriage certificate lately. I got asked it last 2 times but not the most recent time.

Khanh,my friend has never had a problem before,but after talking to a lady in Saigon who deals in the visa system,she said that the immigration officer who placed the single entry visa wasn't up to date with the new laws.

There was also a guy on here the other day Big Tex, he said his VEC had also been held up at immigration. I also asked a friend of mine here who does visas for expats, and she said immigration was doing this quite a bit. Why? I would say the immigration officers have no understanding of the new laws, just like the rest of us.

Not sure where Budman did his renewal, maybe it was done in one of the major provincial towns and not Saigon.

Ah Saigon where they do everything backwards. The times I interacted with Saigon's government employees they seemed uninterested and if you ask a question it's like you're invisible to them.

Budman is out in the boonies. Where I do my VEC it's always the same lady.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/vi … 36949.html     anybody know how this works

MarkinNam wrote:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/vietnam-extends-visa-residency-terms-for-foreigners-36949.html     anybody know how this works

Basically you will need to be an investor in the country and the TRC you will need a legal work permit.

khanh44 wrote:

Ah Saigon where they do everything backwards. The times I interacted with Saigon's government employees they seemed uninterested and if you ask a question it's like you're invisible to them.

Budman is out in the boonies. Where I do my VEC it's always the same lady.

It could be worse,it could be Ha Noi.

I'm sure Budman lives around Can Tho somewhere, so he must get it done there I presume.

might be an option for me P/C has advised I may be eligable for VR visa student visa was other option

colinoscapee wrote:

There was also a guy on here the other day Big Tex, he said his VEC had also been held up at immigration.

And Im still waiting.....

if you have a vec do you still need to leave the country every 3 months and do you need to do the papers with the local police dept.? as i have 1 and dont know what i need to do at the end of the month

It seems like the safer bet is to ride your motorbike to the Cambodia border and check out then check back in......

They are taking passports it seems when you try and do the paper way and not leave.

I mean do you still have to do the papers with the local police dept?

"Supposed" to

If you do a run to the Moc Bai border,you just go across pay your 30usd for a Cambodian visa,then leave Cambodia and enter Viet Nam again where you will be given another 3 month stamp.

Big-Tex wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

There was also a guy on here the other day Big Tex, he said his VEC had also been held up at immigration.

And Im still waiting.....

So how long has it been now and what reasons are they giving you for holding it. If they could only be as tough on illegal dog restaurants as they are with visas it would be a better place.

has anybody tried to go to the Cambodian EMBASSY HERE TO GET A VISA AND JUST HAD IT STAMPED AT THE BOARDER FOR PROOF?

Billafish2 wrote:

has anybody tried to go to the Cambodian EMBASSY HERE TO GET A VISA AND JUST HAD IT STAMPED AT THE BOARDER FOR PROOF?

I think you are having trouble understanding how this works. When you leave Viet Nam you will get an exit stamp, when you leave Cambodia you will also get an exit stamp. You can get a visa before you go but you will still need the exit stamps to prove that you left  both Viet Nam and Cambodia.

Shouldnt even need to enter Cambo....just get your stamp out...walk back to the in gate and get a stamp in....

they said would be this week...just wait and see. Claiming its the marriage cert since we didnt provide it this time when we filed for my stamp....is what they say anyways.

Big-Tex wrote:

Shouldnt even need to enter Cambo....just get your stamp out...walk back to the in gate and get a stamp in....

they said would be this week...just wait and see. Claiming its the marriage cert since we didnt provide it this time when we filed for my stamp....is what they say anyways.

Interesting thought, have you heard anyone do that, as far as I know people have always had to enter Cambodia to show that they have left the country. That land between the two borders is no mans land,neither Cambodia or Viet Nam.

What's the worst they could say?? Go pay your $15 and get a cambo stamp???

It's actually 30 usd now.

Doing the 3month weekend trip to BKK is always a nice excuse to get out of the house...

Big-Tex wrote:

Doing the 3month weekend trip to BKK is always a nice excuse to get out of the house...

Flying to BKK is so much cheaper than flying to PP,no visa cost and good place to hang out for awhile.

So let did they stamp over his VEC? like used or invalid? or did they just gave him new "tourist" visa on different page? if so then his VEC is still good. I over stay one day and because that they could not extend my VEC but instead made me new 3 month tourist visa, and after that I did exit and came back using my VEC.

Wald0 wrote:

So let did they stamp over his VEC? like used or invalid? or did they just gave him new "tourist" visa on different page? if so then his VEC is still good. I over stay one day and because that they could not extend my VEC but instead made me new 3 month tourist visa, and after that I did exit and came back using my VEC.

Yes,they gave him a 3 month single entry visa,but here is the strange part, he put his passport in on time. Two days early to be exact, but they told him after holding it for two months that he had to buy a new visa due to his late lodgement,go figure.

Even with my VEC, I still leave the country. It is a great excuse to leave every 3 months. I usually go to Thailand or Laos. This way I also avoid paying for a stamp and enjoy being single for a few days.

ancientpathos wrote:

Even with my VEC, I still leave the country. It is a great excuse to leave every 3 months. I usually go to Thailand or Laos. This way I also avoid paying for a stamp and enjoy being single for a few days.

Didn't realise that you got married,congratulations.

Ten if it is just a stamp then why are they keeping passports as i read on here?

Billafish2 wrote:

Ten if it is just a stamp then why are they keeping passports as i read on here?

Well that is something only the guys and gals at immigration know.

if they keep your passport then how can you get back into vietnam?

colinoscapee wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

Yes, last August I finally married housekeeper #3. No regrets, but I married her in Thailand. It was a very easy process there.  Thanks...

Billafish2 wrote:

if they keep your passport then how can you get back into vietnam?

Immigration in Saigon, not at the border, you seem to be confused as to what this is about. Best to go back and read from the start, it mat shed some light on what we are talking about.

ancientpathos wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

Yes, last August I finally married housekeeper #3. No regrets, but I married her in Thailand. It was a very easy process there.  Thanks...

Yes it's amazing how easy it is to get married there, but here is such a pain in the arse.

So then b a US citizen can Not go any place after that because they do not have a passport. . think I will call the embassy  and see if they can help with this.

Billafish2 wrote:

So then b a US citizen can Not go any place after that because they do not have a passport. . think I will call the embassy  and see if they can help with this.

Mate it's not happening to everyone. Do you have a VEC and when is it due for renewal. I doubt the U.S. embassy can do squat,it's a VN immigration thing,they are a law to themselves.

yes i do have a VEC and it is due at the end of the month

Well you just have to put it in as usual and see what happens. Nobody can tell you exactly what will happen.Others have had no problems getting the 3 month extension, this may also apply to you.

Big-Tex wrote:

good point, are the embassies regarded as territory for the country of the embassy?