What to do on Friday?

I am arriving in Riyadh on riday morning and start work on Saturday. I have one day to have a look around. Any thoughts on what I should do?
I will probably need to buy bed linen bt other than that anything goes!!

Where will you be staying in Riyadh? The week starting Sat Sep 11 to Fri Sep 17 is the Eid Holiday week and we can look you up to assist, if needed. Give us a shout. Sending you a PM with tel contact.

I would say some food is important?  Are you being supplied with furnished housing?  If so, you'll need at least a few of the basics to get started.

Josullivan - welcome to the Forum and safe travels to the Kingdom.   Do let us know when you arrive in the Kingdom.

Hello Josullivan,

welcome to KSA and Forum. Hope you enjoy in Riyadh. Keep and eye on the forum and i am sure you will have great time.

Anil

I have my plan for Friday, I arrive at the airport about 6am. I am going to have the full Irish breakfast, sausages, bacon, the lot to set me up for the day. Then I will hit the beach, probably the mixed nudie one. When it gets too hot in the afternoon I will go for a couple of beers or maybe the cinema before dancing the night away in bars and clubs in town.......All good

Yeah man, welcome to the Kingdom, and to the forum.

How about going to IKIA as a start, you get to check furniture, and things like that.

Good luck! :)

Ramon,

which Riyadh did you land in Josullivan cos I wanna go to that one.

Welcome to KSA.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I was sure Ramon was going to beat you up about the bacon, beer and nudie bits. I was in creases.
Cinema, bars and disco, you have really done your homework. It must be the 'alternative Riyadh in another dimension.

Glad that you have good imagination - you'll need it. :lol::lol:

josullivan wrote:

I have my plan for Friday, I arrive at the airport about 6am. I am going to have the full Irish breakfast, sausages, bacon, the lot to set me up for the day. Then I will hit the beach, probably the mixed nudie one. When it gets too hot in the afternoon I will go for a couple of beers or maybe the cinema before dancing the night away in bars and clubs in town.......All good

I figure the plane had an emergency landing back in Ireland somewhere. lol

Welcome to the Kingdom. we look forward to seeing you around.

Good Luck.

Someone give this guy a decent GPRS, please

I want that GPRS :D

I typed in "Fridays" on my GPS and it gave me directions to Bahrain. Good thing I wasn't in a rush.

Riyadh/Rio, I have been mixing those two up for weeks. Me thinks I am going to have to switch to Plan B......

Plan B is a little harder to survive in but thats what the blog friends are for.

Some GPS's point to the many exciting compounds in country, too

josullivan wrote:

Hahaha!!! Looking forward to the Craic mate!!! Let us know how you get on and what the first few weeks have been like.

What is you're doing out here?

Finally arrived this morning. All a bit of a shock to the system. Coach class on BA is not much good for comfort so I am dazed and sleep deprived.

I am staying in a villa in Sulaymaniyah which seems pretty central.

One of my new house mates gave me a bit of a tour around and a drive to the shops to get the basic bits and pieces.

Starting work in the morning and looking forward to getting stuck into life in the Kingdom.

You're here. Congrats!!

Hope all goes well tomorrow :)

Finally arrived this morning. All a bit of a shock to the system. Coach class on BA is not much good for comfort so I am dazed and sleep deprived.

I am staying in a villa in Sulaymaniyah which seems pretty central.

One of my new house mates gave me a bit of a tour around and a drive to the shops to get the basic bits and pieces.

Starting work in the morning and looking forward to getting stuck into life in the Kingdom.

Jo,

Good luck buddy, glad to hear you got there safe and sound!

What was it about 5 hours on BA??!

Hope you settle in okay and I'll see you in a few weeks everything crossed!

Well done Josullivan, welcome to plan B. Try catch up on sleep - its going to be a great day of contradiction tomorrow.

Waiting to read your 'first day at work' blog.

Enjoy.

Keep a diary. It could become a best seller for your retirement.

Tell us the saga of your first day at work, please....

musicman wrote:

Tell us the saga of your first day at work, please....

That may take some time, he'll need a couple of days to get over the shock. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Then, of course, jet lag hits on the second day.

Welcome to KSA.

Dave

Take your time to settle in, I try not to drive on a Friday afternoon unless I have to.

Let us know how your 1st days here go...

Got through my first day, lots of form filling, got some form of temp ID, go for medical tomorrow and have a meeting with the compound manager, life is non-stop :)

Might actually get to do some work eventually!

Dont worry about work, mate. Just cross the bridge when you come to it only. Work doesnt hurt anyone here in the sands.

Yes, MM2, your first day is exactly like everyones first day... Inshalla, they will find you a desk sometime in the week and the PC will arrive in a month. Call IT immediatly to help set you up with all the programs and then wait....Inshalla, he will also arrive before your 3 months probation.

Enjoy day two!

...and by that time it will time for the next Eid Holidays.... another ten days in the sun

10 days in the sun. :lol::lol::lol:

I spend every day in the sun - fixing aircraft.

Eid you say. Hmmmmmmmmmm we'll have to get sorted on that one. ;)

Sparrow wrote:

Yes, MM2, your first day is exactly like everyones first day... Inshalla, they will find you a desk sometime in the week and the PC will arrive in a month. Call IT immediatly to help set you up with all the programs and then wait....Inshalla, he will also arrive before your 3 months probation.

Enjoy day two!

I must have been lucky then, my office was ready on my arrival and the PC was already installed.

They must be spoiling me:D

@JillnDave, Next Eid Holidays will possibly be from Nov 11-19, 2010.

@MM2, Are you sure you are in Riyadh? Have you tried pinching yourself?

actually, my office was ready, too .. but took about a week to set up a new computer.

excuse me but what have Eid and holidays got to do with each other, its just another day at work for dave and me?

Its a dogs life for Non Eid celebrators, I guess?

musicman wrote:

@JillnDave, Next Eid Holidays will possibly be from Nov 11-19, 2010.

@MM2, Are you sure you are in Riyadh? Have you tried pinching yourself?

I'm sure thats what it said at the airport. But all the signs have sqiggily writing so maybe not:/

Also been told that this is a 4 day week as well - Fantastic!

A 4 DAY WEEK!...MM2 has landed in the place Josullivan was dreaming about.

Your office was set up!...guyfriend, they want you desperate - your'e not going back home anytime soon this year or in ten years.

Ive heard of the 4 day week rumor too cs national day falls on Thursday and they are thinking of closing on Wednesday to compensate for the missed holiday. No confirmations yet. We will probably know on Tuesday at midnight

Yep, heard that rumour too. Though knowing our lot, we will be told as we are the way to work on Wed morning.

Will the supermarkets be shut on Thursday?
I want to go shopping.