Info for newbie

Hi everyone.....
My husband and I (in our 50's) packed up a few belongings and moved to Cyprus 4 years without ever having been here before.  We arrived with 10 boxes, 3 suitcases and our cocker spaniel.   We are now thinking about making another move before we get too old or sensible  lol  Malta has hit our radar.  We will be doing the same 2016/2017 with about the same amount of boxes, 2 cocker spaniels now and cases...never been to Malta either!!!  People will say we are mad but they would have said the same 4 years ago....we arrived, found jobs and have adapted to the Cypriot life easily.
What is the best area to look at moving to...we will this time come over for a few weeks before the big move...and would ideally like to find jobs either full or part time.  Car hire experience we both have, and I have many years in customer support and sales so possibly a call centre??
I will do my research thoroughly and have plenty of time to do this :-) 
Any advise will be appreciated.
Thanks  :)

I would suggest that you speak with "Toon" on the Cyprus forum , he has just done the reverse, Malta-Cyprus.
Then look through the "stickies" at the top of this forum for information.
Then ask more specific questions if you need them.
Terry

Hmm interesting  - we ve have just done the exact opposite moved to Cyprus from Malta.. but like everything in life it depends on what you want out of the move

I will admit to loving Malta for the 6 years we were there but we needed to make changes before we got too old to do so.... lol we do prefer it in Cyprus.... it is early days for us - 7 months here.... but glad to say we are all different and all have different needs..

Please feel free to message me

I am sure Toon's expert knowledge will be of great help.

One thing I know properties are a lot cheaper to rent and to buy in Cyprus comapred to Malta.
Might be of interest to know there are only a handful of small sandy beaches here, the rest are lime stones and pale yellow all the way.

Cyprus is much bigger than Malta, isn't it an oiption to move house and complete settings to another part in a very different setting? Have you seriously looked at Croatia or Slovenia?

Hi again Toon....just read the rest of thread and see you moved from Malta to Cyprus

yes we did  - and regard it as a good decision - one made, am pleased to say, by my other half  - i had my doubts but alas she was right......

shes a clever and cute scottish lass from Parkheed-- but  a blue not a hoop.

aye she will get on well with my Keith he is blue all the way lol
We can meet whenever is convenient for you...perhaps tomorrow if you are free.
We stay in Mandria so not familiar with pubs/cafes in peyia but wherever is good, we know places by driving past :-)
Keith has a delivery on Sunday (he works for car hire co) so we cant do Sunday.

I think it's a fantastic way to live! Feel free to get in touch with me when you're here (I'm in Sliema, going on 3 months), and will help out however I can.

Tomorrow is fine so how about we meet somewhere in between - say at the harbour

lunchtime ish.

we can meet at say Kings cafe bar - thats the one to the right of the harbour from the main car park area - where the museum is....

Hi Nange
Thanks for reply.  Yes even though we are 'over 50' my philosophy is if we weighed up all the pros and cons and wonder what could go wrong we would never ever do anything...especially something as exciting as moving to another country  lol  Life is for living  :-)

Hi Toon....thats great, tomorrow it is then.

Looking forward to meeting you both

thats fab see you then

got ya number so delete it

Hi

I moved from UK to Malta last December but have been here many times before.  I chose the St Pauls Bay area because this is where most of the expats come to and the accommodation is not as expensive as some areas like Valletta and Sliema.  Its also a very popular tourist area with a lot of car hire companies so this would help you find employment.  There is a call centre advertising vacancies in Bugibba but I do not know what the product is - possibly time share.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Howard

Hi Howard
Many thanks for your reply....early days yet but hoping we get some more positive feedback like yours :-)
Have you been to Cyprus at all...if so then how do you see the comparisons between the 2 islands?
We will approach everything with an open mind.
Life is an adventure to be lived and I am not ready to hand in my wings just yet lol
Have a great weekend
Carol

Hi Carol

Yes been to Cyprus once about 24 years ago.  Malta is a lot smaller being 17 miles by 5 miles.  The bus system here is excellent so you do not really need a car.  Currently its 1.5 euros for a day pass anywhere on the island but that is going to change in the summer as a spanish company has taken over the operation.

Here in St Pauls Bay there is several active clubs for expats.  The British Residents Association (BRA), British Residents Social Club and the British Legion. BRA have a library in Bugibba where you can borrow books and DVD's plus have a coffee with fellow expats.  There are also "Meet Up" groups so there is a lot to occupy you in Malta.

Howard

thanks everyone for information.
For the time being we will stay put as there is a saying 'the grass isn't always greener on the other side' ;-)  or more so in this case it might be 'jumping from the frying pan in to the fire'  lol
Who knows what may happen in a few years...there is still time