Close

No Spanish language, just English.Can I live in Mexico ?

I notice lots of people fantasize about coming to live here in Mexico. Why Not go to some other Spanish speaking country? I have met tons of English teachers here in Mexico, Guatemala and Colombia. They all are underpaid and complaining about it. In San Miguel we volunteer for free to teach English at the library.  Don't people realize that in your retirement years you will find yourself "underfunded" ? Doesn't anybody think about that anymore?

Ronniestm :

I notice lots of people fantasize about coming to live here in Mexico. Why Not go to some other Spanish speaking country? I have met tons of English teachers here in Mexico, Guatemala and Colombia. They all are underpaid and complaining about it. In San Miguel we volunteer for free to teach English at the library.  Don't people realize that in your retirement years you will find yourself "underfunded" ? Doesn't anybody think about that anymore?

The other Latin American countries are all attractive and might be good choices depending on your interests.

For me, the closeness to the US is an advantage.
I like the people and the culture which is rich and varied.
Prices are such that I get the most mileage out of my retirement income and have money left over for travel.

You could certainly live in Mx with no spanish but what standard of living would that be,unable to converse in daily matters.Seems your best bet would be to go to San Miguel de allende,but for the cost of living there you could easily afford a nice retirement in some parts of the usa,if you have an itch for all things Mexican I suggest for example you spend some time in a Mexican area in your hometown,if that does not suffice come on down,Prepare yourself with some Spanish classes,I know for a fact that almost all the protestant churches offer basic English classes free of charge but also its a fantastic environment for learning spanish.

Expatriate health insurance in Mexico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mexico

Moving to Mexico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mexico

Travel insurance in Mexico

Enjoy stress-free travel to Mexico

Flights to Mexico

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Mexico