Missed my air flight

missed my air flight from Canada to vancover, to china and final Vietnam. was assigned wrong gate number. through westjet and southern china airlines. woundering if I have to purchase ( another ) new ticket more at my expense ? or will the airline offer me next available seat ( no charge ). org. I booked through travel agent and they have yet to give me direct answer. anyone know? thanks

Sorry to hear you missed your flight

It depends, assigning gate numbers are automatic, and if the numbers are changed, there are usually announcements. If you were the ONLY one that didn't get on the flight - then perhaps you have less of a case.

Even if westjet decided that they would rebook you, I don't think they could do anything about southern china airlines, they don't seem to code share. So you would fly to china and start arguing the the southern china guy. I doubt your agent can help much really, its not really his fault you didn't get on the plane.

In my opinion, it doesn't look good. Sorry and hope to see you in Vietnam soon!

I've missed more flights than I can remember, all my fault. Each time I just contacted the airline and they rescheduled my flight. I've missed flights in the U.S., Japan, Korea, Viet Nam and the U.K - never had to to buy a new ticket or pay a free.

It depends what the terms of the ticket are. The wrong gate isnt the issue, its the terms of your ticket that matter. I often buy the cheapest tickets which carry penalties for cancelled or missed flights. I just this week am cancelling a China Southern flight to US which comes with a $300 penalty but i have also this week made a claim under travel insurance for the cancellation.  Many people dont know that their credit cards INCLUDE this insurance. If you used your card for the flight and have the insurance, you are home free, especially if its for a medical condition. Call your bank card and discuss. Otherwise, you will have a hard time proving China Southern is at fault for Westjet and they owe you nothing. Likewise, Westjet may not refund your ticket OR the China Southern ticket.  BUT, again it depends which ticket you bought, as they have several grades of tickets and some include FREE rescheduling. Check with your bank first, then Westjet, then China Southern. But dont wait, insurance claims have to be made within 20 days of the flight and who knows what number of days on either China Southern or Westjet.