Hello from Oklahoma, USA

My husband and I are retired with a small dog.  We are looking for a stress free place to retire and enjoy our health and growing old comfortably.  I am a social worker and have worked in hospitals and hospice and Alzheimer's facilities.  I would like to be able to do some volunteer work and some casual fishing with my husband.

I would like to gain some first hand knowledge about living in Belize.  We have done a lot of reading but that is not the same as first hand info.  Of primary importance to us is access to libraries.  That will have a lot to do with our destination.

Comprehensive libraries in Belize are rare. But there are some places with books. To find out if Belize is the place for you to retire it would be best to come over a few weeks or months and get a personal first hand experience. If you want to go fishing etc. the keys might be the best places to go.

I wouldnt move to Belize for access to great public libraries!  Bring your reading material with you!

I would not call Belize a stress free place due to high criminality and  corrupted - or at least highly incompetent -government. But it is your choice.

Do you live in Belize?  If so, Where.  Could you give me some examples of the corrupt government and the criminal activity as we are looking to retire in Belize.

Thanks From Nashville, TN

I work for a Belizean nonprofit - part of the year in Belize - PG when I am working, Placencia on weekends oand  Ambergris Caye when I vacation (I love the barrier reef).
As for government corruption and criminalty in Belize just check Belizean media. Google them or go to BelizeNews.com and  you will have access to Belize TV chanel 5, chanel 7, practically all dailies and other media and can form your own opinion. I like Amandala, but do not limit myself to it.

Hi
The government is corrupt, however unsophisticated unlike the U.S. There is a high crimine rate in Belize City, but the rest of the country the people are great
Tom

Tom,

I believe I read that you are in the process of building a house  in Belize.  My husband wanted me to ask if he could build our house  in Belize  or  does he have to hire someone from Belilze  to build it?  Do you know  approximately how  much it cost to build a house  in  Belize?

Hi ChandlerB
If you wish you can build your own house, however if you are not familiar with the country you will run into several problems. Un-familiar building codes, country rules etc. In the area we are building once you start a project, you must complete in one year. My project Manager is also an Archetect, engeineer. Born in Belize and educated in the US. The price depends on where you build. We are in Consejo Shores 7 miles form Corozal. If you build out on the Cayes remember everything must be shipped to your site. That's why we decided on the mainland.
Tom

Hello Oklahoma,

I just looked up Consejo Shores, the area that you are building in and  it is georgeous.  We have been researching Corozal and had not seen this particular area.  It definitely looks like it could be an option for us.  My husband wanted me to ask you if the houses are built with poured concrete or cinder block?  Do you know  how much a sft to build in that particular area?  Do you know of a website that we could read and study their building codes?

Thanks for you input.

ChandlerB
Nashville, TN

I agree with Sundance a scouting trip is a great way to go.