Returning residence car scheme

I am a returning resident. My personal effects and my car arrived in March 2013. My personal effects were cleared in April and my car in June. As i have to over 180 days in Mauritius, I made a mistake and started counting from the day the car arrived where as it should have been when it's cleared. Now I have been imposed a heavy fine. Can anyone assist. Thank you

Hello jackag and welcome on board Expat.com!

Hope that somebody may be able to assist you soon.Could you please be more clear, what are you expecting to know or as help?

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi Kenjee,
I have a fine and duties of over Rs 800,000. to pay because I calculated my stay from the time my personal effects arrived. Whereas my car was only cleared after over a month. Thus the number of days that I am supposed to be in Mauritius is short by 40 days.
But it was a genuine mistake.
is there anything that can be done?
Thanks
Jack

This case can be handled.  You will need to communicate the facts to the authorities and make an appeal against the decision. There is a procedure for this. You have to write to the MRA, if they have already taken the decision and would not understand, then you still have the Assessment Review Committee as recourse.

You can contact me if you need assistance.

Yes they have already taken a decision. Can I sent a letter to the director of MRA and also to the appeal committee to explain that it was a genuine mistake.
So appreciate your advise.
thanks

Hello
I have sent you a private message . I am sorry if you have called and and i was unable to take your call.
I am awaiting the final decision about my fine.
I have a very efficient agent working for us.. he seems to know the Mra people quite well
Please call me and I will give you his number. I do not feel that you can do this by yourself.
I have provided medical certificates for the 4 operations that I had.. I only under-stayed by 18 days, Again this was a genuine oversight by me.. not a mistake..
800.000 RUPEES, YOU MIGHT AS WELL LET THEM HAVE THE CAR AND BUY ANOTHER ONE HERE.
MY MOB NO. 54985979

chandraw wrote:

I have a very efficient agent working for us.. he seems to know the Mra people quite well

Hello,

Can you please recommend this agent in the business directory please > https://www.expat.com/en/business/africa/mauritius/

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers: