IMPORTANT NEW CHANGES FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR PERMANENT VISAS

You can leave to go on holidays - what a length that is, is open for debate.
I think anything over 3 months is considered been out the country, but check on it if you are going anywhere for more than a month.
They allow you to justify if you have good reason - sick relative etc

I went on a two week trip out of Brazil in my first two years here and the PF said it's no problem at all when I did my application.

A good rule of thumb is if you are genuinely living in Brazil for more than a year you will have no problem, but if you are trying to game the system applying while not living here they will shut you down.

They don't ask about your finances for the PR visa

Hello James,
Hope all is well .
I think you are probably the only person who can answer my questions in this forum.
I am in the process of applying for my rne from a child birth in sao paulo and would like to know what documents are exactly required by the officer .

I have already filled all the forms online and have been given an appointment on the 14th of june.

Any kind of help or advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance

I just going through the process they made me do copies of all the pages of my passport. I had a expired passport but it had my tourist visa and had to do copies of all of it also.i had a police report both from US and Brazil. Also be ready after aproval of the application to pay. We found a pay at a local supermarket didn't have to go to Bank of Brazil.

Globalwanderer99

James died several years ago, and so is not available to answer questions.

The list of documents required appears here, on the Ministry of Justice website:

http://www.justica.gov.br/seus-direitos … brasileira

The list you want is "Documentos necessários à instrução do pedido com base em prole brasileira"

*ETA* When I needed to provide "neat, authenticated copies of every page of my passport", I found it saved time, probably some money, and improved image quality to scan my passport to my computer myself, print out the copy, and take it to the Cartório for them to authenticate.  If you have a scanner and a color printer, it's something to consider.

Thank you for your reply.
Im sorry to hear James passed away.
I hope God rests his soul on peace.
So its important to have a copy of the whole passport and all pages must me attested ?

So there is so need to get a criminal clearance certificate from my country for me and my spouse . Right?

No additional documents?

The criminal report is for who is applying for the permanent visa also a criminal report from the Federal Police in Brazil. I went directly to Federal Police to apply. They were very helpful and quick. I am sorry to hear James has passed I had many talks with him via email he help me allot. Make sure you have original documents and copies to present. The first time I did this I sent most of the required documents to the Brazilian consultant in my area in the USA. Had them notorize it this make it a legal document in Brazil.

Thank you for your response NEWBRAZIL
so the RNE is not the permanent visa?
Plz explain... im confused
And we had to make an appointment to apply for the RNE . They gave me an appoint for the end of next week. Is that normal?

Per the list, you'll need to have authenticated copies of your wife's and your own Identity Cards, and your child's birth certificate.  All documents not in Portuguese need to be translated into Portuguese by a Sworn Translator.

The Federal Police will probably just let you sign a declaration that you have not been arrested or convicted of a crime abroad, especially given the difficulty of obtaining documents of any kind from Syria right now,  Good luck!

Thank you abthree for your quick response

So an rne does not require the criminal clearance..... also when applying online we have been given an appointment more than 1 week later. Is that normal ?

So the rne will allow us to request a brazilian passport after 3 years ? Is that true

Is the rne also called a permanent visa?

Or should i request a permanent visa (on basis of child born in brazil)

Thank you in advance

"So the rne will allow us to request a brazilian passport after 3 years" , not exaclt, with a Brazilian kid you can apply for Citizenship after 1 year of uniterrupted permanent residence, However it's not automatic, you have to pass a Portuguese test , submit a lot of documents and prove you have an income

So the rne and the permanent residency the same ? Or is a different process. Which one will get us closer to citizenship and how fast.

Thanks

"Permanent Visa" vs. "Permanent Residency"

There is ongoing confusion about this subject, so let me see if I can explain it clearly.

On May 24, 2017, Brazil enacted a new "Law of Migration", replacing the "Statute of Foreigners" under which immigration had operated, with some amendments, since the time of the military dictatorship.  On November 21, 2017, the new law was fully implemented, and the practices under the old law ended.  Major changes included:

1. Prior to November 21, 2017, there were two ways to obtain permanent residency in Brazil.  One, if the applicant met certain qualifications, was to obtain a Permanent Residency Visa, VIPER, at a Brazilian Consulate abroad.  On the Brazilian side, this involved some complicated handoffs between the Foreign Ministry and the Ministry of Justice in Brasília behind the scenes.  Once VIPER holders arrived in Brazil, they had to report to the Federal Police, part of the Ministry of Justice, to be added to the National Registry of Foreigners (RNE), and receive a Foreigner Identification Card (CIE).  The Federal Police HAD to register them:  their permanency had already been approved.
The second was to enter Brazil on a temporary visa, and apply for permanent residency through the Federal Police.  This involved providing the documentation that VIPER holders had provided to the Foreign Ministry, and then being added to the RNE and receiving  a CIE.  The Federal Police could and can reject these applicants.
There were some huge and obvious benefits for applicants to choose the VIPER process over the Federal Police process if they could:   unlike the Federal Police process, apostilles were not required, nor were sworn translations of documents, nor were authenticated copies -- the last were done by the Consulate, and once the applicants were in Brazil, they had to be registered.  Apparently, there were few or no benefits from a Brazilian viewpoint to maintaining two parallel systems and it couldn't have been popular with the Federal Police.  Under the new law, the VIPER was abolished.  The Federal Police route became the ONLY route to obtain permanent residency.  Now, a Brazilian Consulate will only issue a temporary visa, usually in the VITEM series, to get the applicant to Brazil, and the Federal Police take it from there.

2. The RNE was renamed the National Migratory Registry (NRM), and the CIE was renamed the National Migratory Registry Card (CNRM); existing CIEs were grandfathered, and will be replaced as they expire.

3. Permanent residency for retirees apparently was abolished:  it's not mentioned in the new law or regulations, although permanent residents who received it prior to last November presumably are grandfathered.  This was a program like those that have been profitable for Mexico, Costa Rica, and neighboring countries, attracting mainly retired Americans, who received permanent residency in exchange for bringing at least $3000 US into the country per month.  Brazil may have just been too far away to make it pay.

4. New, progressive protections for refugees and stateless persons were enacted.

5. The ban on political activity by immigrants was repealed.

6. The law as written seemed to imply that foreign university graduates and equivalent would no longer need to have a job offer in hand to qualify for permanent residency.  The regulations as published, however, seem to limit the opening to a small one, applying to contract knowledge workers only.

There are other changes, but these are the highlights, the highest light of all being that there's no more VIPER.

to cut a long story short, yes RNE and permanent are the same.

Globalwanderer99 wrote:

Thank you abthree for your quick response

So an rne does not require the criminal clearance..... also when applying online we have been given an appointment more than 1 week later. Is that normal ?

So the rne will allow us to request a brazilian passport after 3 years ? Is that true

Is the rne also called a permanent visa?

Or should i request a permanent visa (on basis of child born in brazil)

Thank you in advance

See my long post above.  Your CRNM, formerly CIE/RNE, is your ID as a permanent resident.  Timeframes for naturalization are counted from the date that your CRNM is issued.

There are no more permanent visas:  once issued, your CRNM is all you need.

If you're already in Brazil, you should be fine.  If you're outside Brazil, a Brazilian Consulate will probably issue you a VITEM XI, the temporary visa that replaced the VIPER permanent visa for family reunion. VITEM XI holders, unlike holders of the old VIPER, have to go through the Federal Police permanent resident approval process.

Steve ,abthree

You guys are amazing. Thank you for your vast knowledge and support.

So next week i have an appointment at the federal police.  Is that normal or is it a walk in process?

I have a friend of mine helping me and she said after she put the info online for us . She got an appointment date. So is that ok? Or we can walk on because the appointment seems so far away.

So all i need at this point to help me reach the brazilian citizenship is the rne ? Nothing else ?

Thank you both once again

It's totally normal to have an appointment with the Federal Police to start your permanency process, and totally normal for a friend who's a native speaker of Portuguese help you fill out your application.  In fact, if she's available and you think she can help, she can usually go to your appointment with you.

If all your papers are in order, the whole process should take a couple of hours.  If anything is missing, the Federal Police will tell you what more you need, and when you should return.  Once your application is accepted, they'll issue you a paper, the "Protocolo", that contains your ID number in the RNM.  That serves as your temporary ID, until you can pick your CRNM (former RNE/CIE), in 30-60 days.

Once your CRNM is issued, your clock for naturalization can start.

The first visa they gave me when I was at the Federal Police. I have a tourist visa and it was needed to be renewed for three more months I now have 180 days visa. This is while my permanent visa is being processed. It's been three months. I went back to the Federal Police and they said everything is good should have my permanent visa the end of June. Told me to come back my visa was being printed they look on their computer. It taking 4 months still waiting will post when I get my permanent visa was through marriage To Brazilian.

NewBrazil

There was A LOT of confusion immediately after the new regulations went into effect on November 21, and that probably created big backlogs nationwide:  you had the bad luck to hit the system at a bad time, and you're in the interior too, which can be another complication.  Sounds like your card will be here soon, though, and that the FP are sympathetic to your situation.
By dumb luck, I landed on November 1, three weeks before the tsunami hit, and had my CIE the first week in December.  I imagine that they're getting back to leadtimes like that about now.

Thank you once again to all for your responses....

Very appreciated

So the rne is the official way to go towards citizenship i suppose.

Do i have to be in Brazil after getting the rne to be granted the citizenship or are there ways of being outside Brazil and still getting a passport?

The Federal Police issue your CRNM on the assumption that you are, in fact, a permanent resident.  You can travel abroad and keep it - e.g., for vacations or visits - but if the authorities believe that you're actually still living abroad, they can and will revoke it.
Brazil will not issue a non-resident non-citizen a passport of convenience.

Hello guys,

So i was at the federal police today and they asked for a criminal record certificate from where i lived before coming go brazil and also a clearance certificate from Brazil (i have just been here for a month)<--------- very strange request.

Also a full copy of the passports but without the need for certification  (they use your original passport to verify)

The above is in addition to the other documents that were required.

And we didnt need an appointment (we had been given wrong information)

An appointment is only required for asylum seekers

Btw they only wanted the the criminal clearance certificate translated from English to portugese by a sworn translator. No attestation requirements were mentioned

[link moderated]zil, i.e. that it is no longer permitted to acquire residency by retiring here.
[Link moderated ]

Sorry for the repetition but I think it was necessary to attach the link.

I will double check with the PF by email, but what do you make of it?

thanks

Hello again,

We were at the federal police today and they accepted our papers and then waited some more to get fingerprinted and taken a picture of.

They told us the card will be ready in 3 months.

What i wanted to know is .... what is the use of this card. What are the benefits ?
Will it lead me to a brazilian passport?

Thank you

Your CRNM  is your official ID card, the equivalent of a Brazilian citizen's RG.  It's a valuable document:  I suggest having an authenticated copy made at a Cartório and carrying the copy around with you, keeping the original in a safe place at home, except when you need it to transact business.
The "use" of it is that it does everything that a RG does for a Brazilian.  It's the proof that you have a right to live in the country.  You need it (or the "Protocolo", until it arrives) to open a bank account.  You can use it to get a Labor Card, because you are now allowed to work in Brazil.  It will speed the process of getting your SUS card, for the national health system.  It replaces your passport in any interaction you have with government at any level from now on.
To get a passport, you need to be naturalized as a Brazilian citizen.  Depending on your status, that can mean a waiting period of from one to five years.  But in all cases, the length of the waiting period is counted from the issue date that appears on your CRNM.

Great information.

But right now we just have the protocolo number. Can that be used to enter and exit without a visa?

So now we just have to wait until we receive the card. Is there a possibility that they might contact us for additional paperwork or anything else?

If im not here can someone else receive it on my behalf with a power of attorney?

I have questions are you in Brazil. When you went to Federal Police what kind of visa do you have now before you applied. I am asking this here is what I had was a 6 month tourist visa before I applied. When I applied they gav me a pierce of paper with one of my photo on it was a six month visa with my application number on it toward my permanent visa. They also stamped my passport with special stamp. They said when my visa come in to return to Federal Police to pick it up. I think you may have to be there in person to get it.

Im in brazil on a 1 yr tourist visa.
They gave me a paper with my picture and a protocolo number. No stamps or any thing. They said the card will be ready in 3 months.

I asked someone and they said anyone who has a power of attorney from me can receive it.

I am supposed to get my permanent visa end of this month it will be a little over 4 months. I will update when I get it.

Plz update us

Hi everyone,

I have been reading all your recent posts and I have a question.

I am still in the UK and married to a Brazilian man. We are moving to Brazil in December and I was just about to go to apply for my VITEM XI thinking if I get it done here it would save me a lot of work in Brazil. Generally as a British citizen i don't need a visa to travel to Brazil and so shall i bother to get this VITEM XI if it does not give me permanent visa and I will have to go to Federal Police in Brazil to do everything again?

Thanks

I just went to Brazil consulate site you should go there it look. It look like you will still have to go to Federal Police with in 30 day to register. What that process you will maybe need more paperwork. It will tell you on the Federal Police site.

I was at the Consulate last week and they told me I can apply for VITEM XI. I later realized this is only a temporary visa and hence once i get to Brazil I will have to apply for permanent residence at Policia Federal. My question is what is the point to apply for VITEM XI? I am British and can travel to Brazil for 90 days without a visa anyway. Is it not better to just get there and apply for permanent residence or does the issuing of permanent residence takes awhile?

If i get a VITEM XI for more than 180 days does that give me the right to work?

Thanks

I have applied for permanent visa you will need to make sure you have the paperwork needed. I have a tourist visa good for three months before renewing it. When I applied they gave me a Six month visa it now been close to 4 months waiting for my permanent visa. I am supposed to get it toward the end of this month. I post when I get it.

Iveta 5

If you have the proper visa to travel then you do not need it. You can get a work permit after your paperwork is accepted for the Permanency.

Jim

Iveta555
VITEM XI is the family reunion visa that replaced the VIPER, the old permanent visa.  Getting the VITEM XI will probably get some preliminary checks out of the way ahead of time, and may speed the process for you some; more importantly, since you're applying for permanent residency on the basis of family reunion through marriage, the Federal Police will be looking for a VITEM XI in your passport.
If you were married in the UK and have not registered your marriage with the Brazilian Consulate yet, be sure to do that before you leave.  Having the "Certidão" from the Consulate will make things easier, both with the Federal Police and with the Cartório when you register your marriage here. 
The VITEM XI itself won't give you the right to work, but the Protocolo that the Federal Police give to when they accept your permanency application will let you apply for a Labor Card at the state Labor Department, and that will.

Just got email from Federal Police my visa is there to pick up on Monday. It's been about 4 months from my application. I will confirm on Monday when I have it in my hands. 😁😁😁

I just went to Federal Police they gave me my permanent Visa card. The one thing I got different was my visa is valid for as long as I am married no renewal needed. The person at the Federal Police told me many people has applied but my was the only one processed. My wife did all the paperwork we did the type of marriage where she is responsible for me. I don't know if they look at this differently than just married.

Thank you all for the replies. I will go get my VITEM XI if it's going to speed up things in Brazil.

NewBrazil i'm not sure what you mean by you applied for the one where your wife looks after you? I thought application for permanency is just based on marriage....or does the approval depend on the brazilian spouse supporting you?

Also does anyone know how long after you get permanent residence you can apply for brazilian passport?

Thanks