Interested in hearing about your experiences as a new Expat in Malta.

Hi:  I am a retired lawyer living in California.  Once I finish a real estate project, I'll be moving to Malta.  I would be interested in hearing about your experiences as a new Expat in Malta.  Thanks.  Bill

Hello Bill,

I have created a new thread with your message on the Forum Malta for a better visibility and interaction with other members.

All the best,
Olivier
Expat.com Team

Hi Bill,
We've been in Malta for just over a year now. Best thing we did.
We enjoy the people, the climate, the history of the country. Sure there are downsides as well, like dealings with the officials. This always seems to take forever. But all in all a great place and a great life.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Hi Bill,
We have been in Malta for over a year - it has been interesting but my advice is, either accept it or move on .....

I have been here in Malta 4 mths now, moved from Ireland, but im originally from Finland.

I have been living in quite many countries before, Sweden, Ireland, Netherlands and Turkey, so im adapting well to different cultures etc :)

1 month before i moved here, i travelled for a week to Malta to find an apartment, and do the work contracts etc. Took my cat also here, that was the biggest expense, like 1k  total :) but totally worth it.

Maltese culture is quite loud :) Lots of sounds from bars (especially if you live in Qawra area as i do) and generally noise from the living.

I took buses 2 first months to work, but then i bought my own car, much easier and faster.. and reliable.

Bank account opening took 2 weeks, but eventually managed to do it, got e-residence card within the first month aswell. Didnt have any problems to get internet and tv connection or billpay phone either. Maybe i was just lucky :D

Generally i dont have much to complain, except its pretty damn hot sometimes :D

Hi Bill,

no one here seems to realize that you are possibly non-EU ! Or do you hold an EU passport?

If not ,you will run into problems , sooner or later ! If you have 'spare' money buy a Maltese passport otherwise it will be very problematic!

Cheers
Ricky