What is like to live in Dammam?

Hello everybody!!!

My husband and I are planing to move to Dammam next month! We are really excited, even that we do not know a lot about Saudi Arabia, we are ready and open to learn about the culture.

Beside the excitement, we have a lot of questions.
1.- My husband will go first to S.A. and apply for family visas for me and our three sons. Any body has idea how long can take for the whole family to reunify in the Kingdom.
2.- Is true that women are not allow to drive?
3.- What kind of clothes a female teacher can wear?
4.- Is clothing more or less expensive than in the US?
5.- How much a full time maid gets paid per month?

Thank you all!!!

1.- My husband will go first to S.A. and apply for family visas for me and our three sons. Any body has idea how long can take for the whole family to reunify in the Kingdom.

Depends on your husband's company and how fast they process paperwork.  Could be a month, or three...or even six.

2.- Is true that women are not allow to drive?

Very true

3.- What kind of clothes a female teacher can wear?

An abaya pretty much covers what kind of clothes any female can wear in public.  If you were teaching at an all-girls school and there were NO male employees (not even janitors) then you might be able to wear "normal" clothes.  Other than that...it's an abaya.

4.- Is clothing more or less expensive than in the US?

Depends on clothing you want.  Everyday clothes, made in the USA or by USA companies?  A bit more.  Bring enough clothes for a few weeks and then fill out your wardrobes when you are here, is a good suggestion.  Remember, all of your pretty dresses and cool jeans are never going to be seen outside of your home or friends' home.  You will be covered in public.  Always.

5.- How much a full time maid gets paid per month?

Live in?  Live out?  How many hours?  When you get to your compound you will find different options available to you.  Virtually all of them will be more than affordable to you.

Welcome to the forum.  Please spend the time to read lots of threads in here, most of your questions have been answered many times...when you have a question you can't find the answer to, we are here to help.

Good luck.

...and there are Mexican Restaurants and even Fast Food chains in every major city in the Kingdom.....

i love my Fajitas

Thank you Mister Strech.
It is so nice to hear your advice!
We are excited to arrive in Dammam!
I hope does not take too long for our family to reunify...
We will keep in touch!
Thanks again
Philia

Yeah! I heard they have some Mexican restaurants there. We will see how authentic those are!

Do you guys know if is possible to buy tortillas and chili in Dammam?

That is kind of important for my diet...

Yeah! I heard they have some Mexican restaurants there. We will see how authentic those are!

Not at all.

Yes, Tamimi's carries a selection of flour tortillas (no fresh corn tortillas unfortunately).  There is one very good Tamimis in Khobar/Dammam in which you can periodically find fresh jalapenos (there are a variety of other chilis available regularly, including those little mouse-shit chillies).  Cilantro, tomatoes, yellow onion, cumin, etc. are available at Tamimi's (associated with USA's Safeway chain).

Canned frijoles are available there, too, but finding pintos and black beans can be problematic at times.  When you find them, buy a lot of them.

Cheese can be quite expensive, there are some quality queso de cabra, but other cheeses are imported and expensive.

Not at all.

Yes, Tamimi's carries a selection of flour tortillas (no fresh corn tortillas unfortunately).  There is one very good Tamimis in Khobar/Dammam in which you can periodically find fresh jalapenos (there are a variety of other chilis available regularly, including those little mouse-shit chillies).  Cilantro, tomatoes, yellow onion, cumin, etc. are available at Tamimi's (associated with USA's Safeway chain).

Canned frijoles are available there, too, but finding pintos and black beans can be problematic at times.  When you find them, buy a lot of them.

Cheese can be quite expensive, there are some quality queso de cabra, but other cheeses are imported and expensive.

I am exited to get there... and then we all can get together and eat real mexican food!!!
Thank you guys...

Hola Philia,

cuando vas a venir a Dammam? que me haga saber si necesita cualquier información, ayuda o dirección.
buena suerte

Rizwarsi , could you please post inn english ?

the spanish version of the forum is here https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2473

Hi julien,
Thanks for the refresher. Will do

musicman wrote:

...and there are Mexican Restaurants and even Fast Food chains in every major city in the Kingdom.....

i love my Fajitas

I've been searching for proper, authentic Mexican restaurants but couldn't find any. Got any leads?

I've seen one on the parallel road to Khobar cornich, it says mexican restaurant, i forgot the name, but if you drive on the right side of the corniche in khobar (somewhere around jarir bookstore) you can spot it

beirut961 wrote:

I've seen one on the parallel road to Khobar cornich, it says mexican restaurant, i forgot the name, but if you drive on the right side of the corniche in khobar (somewhere around jarir bookstore) you can spot it

Ahh, where Applebee's is, and Casper and Gambini's. I'll check it out, Thanks (:

Hi, I do know how is to live as a mexican in Eastern Region and believe me, is very nice around here. I think it will take some months to your husband but it worth it. regarding your questions, all answers were very accurate except for the restaurant in Khobar which is tex-mex food adapted to arabic taste (try to find in my phrase where did I mentioned "mexican" LOL).
If you have something you wanted to ask regardind our paperwork process please message me an email and I will answer for sure. Por acá los veo, saludos.

The OP is long gone!  It's always a good thing to read the date over the screen name to see when a person posted. We last heard from Philia on July 15, 2010 !!!

its all good